How to download flash/html/shockwave games

Tarasia

Satan's soul
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
Find the general stuff on google on how to, but none has a answer really if on inspect source if there is no .swf to be found.

Any help appreciated

Neko Chan

Oct 14, 2017
It depends on the website, if you are trying to get the game using more official sites like Kongregate or private servers then they are usually site locked and getting the games from them are too much effort to figure out how to get them really... I would advise for those games that you just find the creator of the games themselves and their website might just give it to you for free.

The common inspect source + right click + save .swf combo only works on certain 3rd part sites that literally copies games from other sites >.>

*Only applies for Chrome browser atm because haven't used IE or FF for a while now
One method that I found for some other sites is if you first access the game directly from the webserver.
This is also the hard part too... <.<" below is the easiest way that I figured it out:
  • Inspect the page of the game
  • Press the tiny button on the top left of the inspect panel (Or press Ctrl+Shift+C)
  • Click on the game itself on the webpage, the game should highlight blue (It basically finds the part of the HTML where the .swf is formatted on the inspect console)
  • Scroll up a little bit on the inspect console until you see id='swfcontainer' and there should be an src=[some link that should have the name of the game in the link]
  • Right click and open that link to another tab: that tab should only have the game and nothing else on the page
At this point you have the game directly accessed from the site server.
Then...
  • Inspect the page
  • Select the Application tab on the Top middle of the of the inspect console
  • Find the Frames title on the index of that console (should be on the middle/bottom left of the page)
  • Refresh the page
  • There should be an Other tab that appears under the Frames title
  • Expand the Other tab and ONLY open the .swf files to a new tab- it will automatically change to a download (Chrome will warn you about saving files like these, but its up to you to decide if it is a risk to download the game from that site)
  • Then put all your downloaded files into a new folder (You probably don't have to, but it's just more organized to do it this way <.<")
Some hard disclaimers for doing this: inspect page can't find things that doesn't exist on that webpage, so that means you may have to play the game on that webpage in order for all the .swf assets of the game to show up in the other folder on console (if the game has a gallery/stage select, selecting that usually loads most of the .swf files). That means you may have to even BEAT the game in some cases dependent on the way the webserver works.

Sorry for the essay, if you still can't really find the .swf files, then PM me the website and I'll see if that site's flash games can be accessed. (Can also add images when I am able to >.>')

Reactions: bas