Tutorial HTML How To Debug(Or Cheat) Twine{SugarCube} Variables

RasMag

Jun 26, 2017
Hi - just tried to install the extension - however I do not seem to be able to make it work.

Specifically: pressing ctrl+shift+h does nothing and I cannot even use the "options" to reset key bindings as options is greyed out and unable to be selected

As I do not yet have permission to add links this is the screenshot location https:// prnt.sc/ itka6n if anyone wants to see what I am seeing.

Thanks.

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
Hi - just tried to install the extension - however I do not seem to be able to make it work.

Specifically: pressing ctrl+shift+h does nothing and I cannot even use the "options" to reset key bindings as options is greyed out and unable to be selected

As I do not yet have permission to add links this is the screenshot location https:// prnt.sc/ itka6n if anyone wants to see what I am seeing.

Thanks.
You have to go to "Manage Extensions". You can change keybindings there. Just find the link named Keyboard Shortcuts or something similar if you can. Actually, I just checked and Chrome seems to have changed the layout in the latest updates. It should be in the sidebar now.

RasMag

Jun 26, 2017
You have to go to "Manage Extensions". You can change keybindings there. Just find the link named Keyboard Shortcuts or something similar if you can. Actually, I just checked and Chrome seems to have changed the layout in the latest updates. It should be in the sidebar now.
Thank you that worked - or at least in "The Allure of Wanton Cove" that works, I tried also in "The Company" but I get nothing happens there (which I find strange as The Company was given as an example for TwineHacker)

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Is there version for other browsers for the people not using Chrome?

P.S. Please do not start the "you must use Chrome because ..." shpiel I've heard it already.

bazooka1911

Sep 23, 2017

P.S. Please do not start the "you must use Chrome because ..." shpiel I've heard it already.
You could just say which browser you use, and see if anyone replies.

Carrnage

Sep 30, 2017
Found an oddity, both sugarhacker and the twinehacker have no response in the "tentacle slave" twine game, especially weird because sugarhacker usually give a notification when you try to use it on a page/html-file that doesn't use sugarcube, but for tentacle slave game no notification or console appears.

Reactions: Diego132

xbuster25

Sep 21, 2017
how to change the variables in firefox. SugarCube.State.active.variables work but i can't change the variable

bazooka1911

Sep 23, 2017
I took the liberty to download Mozilla Firefox and i can say that it is not possible to add the extension permanently on it unless the people who made it, adds a signature to it. Other than that, even if they did add a signature to the extension, they would still have to configure the controls to enable it (Firefox has no way to do it). In which case, none of us are the coders who created this. Best to ask for help from the original creators if you can find them on Google. Or the easiest way is to change your current browser to Google Chrome and follow the instructions on post #24.

Reactions: Parthornax

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017

You could always get Chromium... :tf:

But seriously, there might be extensions that can be gotten from the browser's equivalent of Chrome's App Store, or even loading the twinehacker/sugerhacker extension onto your choice of browser.
Though it is easier to get it up and running on Chrome.

samkazk

Apr 29, 2017
If the variable is Cash for example then would it just be Cash=xxx because that doesn't work for me

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
If the variable is Cash for example then would it just be Cash=xxx because that doesn't work for me
What game is it?

If you do the "Sugarcube.State.active.variables"command, a drop-down menu (sort-of) will appear. Using that will allow you to change variables willy-nilly, by double/single clicking on one you want to change.

JS games are different in which you the variable is in the code, so look that shit up and then input the variable into the console.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
If you do the "Sugarcube.State.active.variables"command
FYI - If it's a SugarCube v1.x game it will be "SugarCube.state.active.variables" (lowercase "s" on "state"), and in SugarCube v2.x it will be "SugarCube.State.variables" (you don't need to use ".active" in v2.x, it's only included for compatibility with v1.x).

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
how to apply changes withe twine hacker?
When you change something, press enter/return (I'm not sure if you need to do this, but I do), then click one of the links in-game (Character, for example).

Mori369

Nov 26, 2017
Sooo none from the above worked for me, scince about half a month this hacker doesnt work for me anymore, it worked perfecty fine before. I tried using a diffrent key-combination than ctrl+shift+h but it still doesnt work. I dont get a error messege or something, i get nothing at all, i hope somebody may be able to help me

mrfurphie

Jul 4, 2017
Sooo none from the above worked for me, scince about half a month this hacker doesnt work for me anymore, it worked perfecty fine before. I tried using a diffrent key-combination than ctrl+shift+h but it still doesnt work. I dont get a error messege or something, i get nothing at all, i hope somebody may be able to help me
Same as me. help please

PlayDat

Sep 18, 2017
Found an oddity, both sugarhacker and the twinehacker have no response in the "tentacle slave" twine game, especially weird because sugarhacker usually give a notification when you try to use it on a page/html-file that doesn't use sugarcube, but for tentacle slave game no notification or console appears.
Took a quick look at the game code and found the correct line to use in the console to get the big money:
SugarCube.State.variables.player.coin = 1000
Change the amount to whatever makes you comfortable.

Edit: Additional basic info (chrome tested): open the game and start it, press F12 and select the "console" tab. At this point CTRL+C, CTRL+V to paste the sugarcube line and hit enter.
Remember to select a passage like "continue", "next", ecc... to see the changes as the visible variables need to be refreshed.

Reactions: Laxard and Hama74