Tutorial Ren'Py How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes
Nov 9, 2017
The only time I have had issue with WINE is when the renpy is doing something really bizarre and that only happened once. Though I stay with 10.11 because 10.12-14 either mess up key programs I use or cause stuff to break outright.

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
Yea, I'm having some problems with trying to play Serment - Contract with a Devil even though it's renpy and it doesn't load on wineskin. The demo is fine though. I'm on 10.11.6 too, and it could be a graphics thing, since my imac is kinda old.

malikon

Jul 8, 2017
Can anyone tell how to get the console working once I ported the Windows version?
Hi, maybe you wanna say: "Hello! Please, Can anyone [...] Windows version? Thanks a lot for help!!" ... right?

If so, I'll answer you: depends on the game you're porting ... RPG? RenPy? Every game may has its own console...

The files that you overwrite in windows to activate the console are the same that you need to overwrite in the ported version.
So find the right folder and overwrite... if you search in this forum you can find a lot of stuff ;)

Enjoy!

Nov 9, 2017
Yea, I'm having some problems with trying to play Serment - Contract with a Devil even though it's renpy and it doesn't load on wineskin. The demo is fine though. I'm on 10.11.6 too, and it could be a graphics thing, since my imac is kinda old.
It may be a problem with the build wineskin is using as the last date on the main Wineskin site is 2017 and a reference to WINE 2.0. Wine went to 4.x builds near the end of 2018 and as of April 2019 the latest Mac stable build is 4.0 with the staging builds at 4.6. I have notices that things are far more stable then they were with the 2.x builds. Note I use the pkg versions as my efforts at compiling it have not worked well in the past.

CoffeeLab

Jul 16, 2017
One point to add (as I just made this work on my Mac) is to copy the folder that appears in the unpacked app to someplace (I created a folder for it in my Ren'Py games folder called Ren'Py Files) and then run everything from there. Create folders as described, rename and create mac builds, etc.

Thanks all!
Really excited about the prospect of this, but can't get it to work on my Mac.

I've been poking at this for several hours and am obviously missing something pretty basic or obvious.

Here's the gist of the problem, when I download the SDK zip file, I get two things -- a dmg file and a renpy-7.3.2-sdk folder. When I click on the renpy.app in the folder, nothing happens -- nada -- it doesn't open -- likely because it's not "installed"?!? Alternatively, when I open the dmg file, I can see the same folder and if I open that folder and click on the renpy app, it does, in fact, mount the dmg file and, from there, I can see the how the above instructions would work. However, because its a dmg file, I can't (or better, don't know how to) modify the folder structure per the instructions above.

So, if I could open renpy.app in downloaded the folder, I'm pretty sure (not certain :)) I could figure out how to get this to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated . . .

Gratefully in advance --
CoffeeLab

Zoidberg99

Oct 19, 2018
Really excited about the prospect of this, but can't get it to work on my Mac.

I've been poking at this for several hours and am obviously missing something pretty basic or obvious.

Here's the gist of the problem, when I download the SDK zip file, I get two things -- a dmg file and a renpy-7.3.2-sdk folder. When I click on the renpy.app in the folder, nothing happens -- nada -- it doesn't open -- likely because it's not "installed"?!? Alternatively, when I open the dmg file, I can see the same folder and if I open that folder and click on the renpy app, it does, in fact, mount the dmg file and, from there, I can see the how the above instructions would work. However, because its a dmg file, I can't (or better, don't know how to) modify the folder structure per the instructions above.

So, if I could open renpy.app in downloaded the folder, I'm pretty sure (not certain :)) I could figure out how to get this to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated . . .

Gratefully in advance --
CoffeeLab
So if I understand you correctly, you have the .dmg. I tested to download the latest version, the green button with the .dmg on it. Once it finished downloading I just mounted the image file and opened the mounted image where there was a folder called "renpy-7.3.2-sdk". In this folder there's everything you need to run the app.
You should copy this whole folder to where you find it suitable on your own drive, not run it on the mounted imagefile, and from there you should be able to do all the things that are described in this guide.
Hope this helps.

CoffeeLab

Jul 16, 2017
One point to add (as I just made this work on my Mac) is to copy the folder that appears in the unpacked app to someplace (I created a folder for it in my Ren'Py games folder called Ren'Py Files) and then run everything from there. Create folders as described, rename and create mac builds, etc.

Thanks all!

Thanks all!
So if I understand you correctly, you have the .dmg. I tested to download the latest version, the green button with the .dmg on it. Once it finished downloading I just mounted the image file and opened the mounted image where there was a folder called "renpy-7.3.2-sdk". In this folder there's everything you need to run the app.
You should copy this whole folder to where you find it suitable on your own drive, not run it on the mounted imagefile, and from there you should be able to do all the things that are described in this guide.
Hope this helps.
Hi -- thanks so much for your reply. I found a newer post that suggested downloading the 6.99 version, which I did and it worked just as advertised. I then upgraded from within the launcher itself to the most current version and that too worked. So all good now. Still have no idea why the launcher wasn't in the SDK folder I downloaded, but glad things are working -- really cool to be able to transform games this way.

One other thing in the hopes it might help others -- sometimes I can create a Mac app and sometimes I can't. When I can't, I use the SDK launcher, which works perfectly.

Thanks for this really cool solution and for the very able assistance you all have provided...

CoffeeLab

Hoboy

Jul 24, 2017
Hi -- thanks so much for your reply. I found a newer post that suggested downloading the 6.99 version, which I did and it worked just as advertised. I then upgraded from within the launcher itself to the most current version and that too worked. So all good now. Still have no idea why the launcher wasn't in the SDK folder I downloaded, but glad things are working -- really cool to be able to transform games this way.

One other thing in the hopes it might help others -- sometimes I can create a Mac app and sometimes I can't. When I can't, I use the SDK launcher, which works perfectly.

Thanks for this really cool solution and for the very able assistance you all have provided...

CoffeeLab
I just recently went though problems using the latest SDK (7.3.2) on some compressed PC versions translating to Mac, and found that going back and using 7.0 works. So I believe there may be some issues with how games are compressed that will sometimes impact the latest version, while the older works fine. I experienced this with FILF and Become a Rock Star compressed versions, and using 7.0 worked fine. So I am keeping both versions for safety's sake.

hedeeeee

Mar 18, 2019
I tried this with multiple games and it worked. Definitely worth trying instead of waiting quite a while for mac versions of some games that take longer to appear here.

D

Deleted member 1310400

cant seem to launch the renpy app, tried using older versions, moving to applications folder but nothing happens when i click open

Reactions: donsah87

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
You gotta be more specific than that..

Anyway read the OP, find the release date of your game, find the closes sdk that's closest to that date and rinse and repeat the steps on page 1.

D R Jackal

Oct 27, 2018
It is not working at all for me. Right now all it is showing the Tutorial. Do you have a video guide?

Also when I try saving SDK folder to my laptop it doesn't open. It only opens when I click from the DMG, and you can't add anything to this dmg

How to create a Mac version:
  1. Download the Ren'Py SDK from here: (click on "Download SDK zip")
  2. Unzip the downloaded zip file
  3. Inside the unzipped folder, create a folder with the game name eg:"DMD" (could be anything else)
  4. Open the newly created "DMD" folder and copy the "game" folder from 'Windows version of the game'
  5. Go back to the root of the Ren'Py SDK folder and double click on renpy.app. If you get a warning, click OK. On the left, under "Projects", select "DMD".
From here, you can just play from within the SDK, just hit "Launch Project" on the bottom right and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can continue and create a standalone version:
  1. Under "Navigate Script", click "Force Recompile" (not sure if this step is necessary, but just to be sure)
  2. When done, under "Navigate Script", click on "Build Distributions". When it loaded, select "Macintosh x86" on the right. Have only that option selected. Then click on "Build" on the bottom right. This will take a while.
  3. Navigate into the "DMD_0.10-dists" folder that got created in the root of the Ren'Py SDK. There, unzip the "DMD_0.10-mac" zip file.
  4. Go into the newly unzipped folder and move "DMD.app" to your /Applications folder. Double click "DMD.app" in the /Applications folder to play. You don't need the Ren'Py SDK anymore, so it is safe to exit and delete it.

Modified - Thanks to Andel for the tutorial

Note: I do not have a MAC,so please let me know in comments if it worked for you and any corrections if needed

-------------------------------

Alternatives:

Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac

WineBottler packages Windows-based programs snugly into OS X app-bundles. No need to install emulators or operating systems

Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac - The fastest, easiest, and most powerful solution for running Windows applications on a Mac—without rebooting.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
It is not working at all for me. Right now all it is showing the Tutorial. Do you have a video guide?

Also when I try saving SDK folder to my laptop it doesn't open. It only opens when I click from the DMG, and you can't add anything to this dmg
When you open the DMG, you find a folder "renpy-7.3.5-sdk".
Copy this folder (the folder, not just its contents) to your Applications Folder.
Close the DMG, eject it, you don't need it anymore.

In the "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk" folder:
For the first launch, it's better to use Right Clic->Open (to avoid some security troubles). After, you can use the double clic without problems. So do it on renpy.app.
It may take a little time to open, depending on your computer, the position of the stars and your patience.. :)

Now, the first thing to do is to define your projects folder.
Then clic on Preferences (bottom right of the window).
Top left of the preference window: Projects folder, change it (You can use something like ~/Documents/RenPy or whatever you want). You're games will go there.
Select you language.
In my very personal case, the Editor is the System Editor, the default one, as my favorite editor is not listed and everything is UNselected but material render and the one below, show the file edition section.

Now you can click on Return to go back to the main window.
To add your projects, it's easy.
In your ~/Documents/RenPy folder, create your new game folder. Let's say "Big Brother, the renew of the Fork".

You have now a "~/Documents/RenPy/Big Brother, the renew of the Fork" folder.
In this one, just copy the "game" folder (the folder, not just its contents) of the game you DL. The "game" folder is enough. No need of anything else like the "lib" folder.

Finally you have a "~/Documents/RenPy/Big Brother, the renew of the Fork/game" folder.
Go back to your renpy SDK window, click on the little "refresh" near "Projects", your new content should appear.

PS: As said before, some games won't work, because of the different versions of RenPy. It's a "some", not a "nearly every", but it can happen.

PPS: The "~/Documents" folder is your Documents folder. "~/" means "/Users/yourName/".

D R Jackal

Oct 27, 2018
Copy this folder (the folder, not just its contents) to your Applications Folder.

For the first launch, it's better to use Right Clic->Open (to avoid some security troubles). After, you can use the double clic without problems. So do it on renpy.app.
It may take a little time to open, depending on your computer, the position of the stars and your patience.. :)

Top left of the preference window: Projects folder, change it (You can use something like ~/Documents/RenPy or whatever you want). You're games will go there.
Select you language.
In my very personal case, the Editor is the System Editor, the default one, as my favorite editor is not listed and everything is UNselected but material render and the one below, show the file edition section.

In your ~/Documents/RenPy folder, create your new game folder. Let's say "Big Brother, the renew of the Fork".

In this one, just copy the "game" folder (the folder, not just its contents) of the game you DL. The "game" folder is enough. No need of anything else like the "lib" folder.

Finally you have a "~/Documents/RenPy/Big Brother, the renew of the Fork/game" folder.
Go back to your renpy SDK window, click on the little "refresh" near "Projects", your new content should appear.

PS: As said before, some games won't work, because of the different versions of RenPy. It's a "some", not a "nearly every", but it can happen.

PPS: The "~/Documents" folder is your Documents folder. "~/" means "/Users/yourName/".
Thank you. It worked exactly how you describe and the part where I can put it as a standalone works from the original post

RandomBloke

Oct 10, 2019

Select you language.

Just wanted to say thanks as well.

WaveOfPig

May 12, 2017
the Renpy.app in my sdk just straight up won't open. Before anyone asks, yes I right clicked it and gave it permission to run via the manual open option and nothing happens at all. If y'all have a solution I would love to be able to start using this tool! :giggle:

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes