Tutorial Ren'Py How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes
D

Deleted member 443783

I am willing to be a Mac Beta tester. If interested, please contact me

Hoboy

Jul 24, 2017
Just found that Ren'Py is updated to 7.00. Found that a game created in the newest version will not open properly in 6.99, so updated to 7.00 and everything is fine again. Just a heads up...

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
How to create a Mac version:

Note: I do not have a MAC,so please let me know in comments if it worked for you and any corrections if needed

-------------------------------

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I know nothing about Ren'py (or Python or scripts, or programming, LOL), and your instructions for making a standalone Mac version worked perfectly for me on the first try, so THANK YOU!

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
well duh! you want to open a renpy game in the version it was created from. See my 1st comment on this thread about Demon Master Chris as an example.

pagaru

Jun 24, 2018
Anybody know what to do if the downloaded folder doesn't have a "game" folder as descriped here?
I downlaoded a game called zombie's retreat. I have a mac but I downloaded the windows version since it doesn't have a mac version.
I downloaded it from a site called fap nation. The file is a .rar file and so i used a program called Keka to unrar it.
What I get is a folder with a .exe file.
I've tried opening the .exe with wine and I've tried copying the dowloaded folder into a "game" map but renpy can't find it.

Any ideas? I'm getting this problem with a lot of games.

Reactions: tossler

tossler

Jul 1, 2017
Anybody know what to do if the downloaded folder doesn't have a "game" folder as descriped here?
I downlaoded a game called zombie's retreat. I have a mac but I downloaded the windows version since it doesn't have a mac version.
I downloaded it from a site called fap nation. The file is a .rar file and so i used a program called Keka to unrar it.
I've tried opening the .exe with wine and I've tried copying the dowloaded folder into a "game" map but renpy can't find it.

I am confused in the same way. Folder structure is totally different in PC versions - no "Game" folder, for one - and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to copy into the newly created folder.

malikon

Jul 8, 2017
I am confused in the same way. Folder structure is totally different in PC versions - no "Game" folder, for one - and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to copy into the newly created folder.
It's all normal because it depends on the engine used for the game: RPG Maker MV, VX ACE or VX ... each engine has its own system to be repackaged ... but often some do not work (ex. VX ACE) ...

tossler

Jul 1, 2017
It's all normal because it depends on the engine used for the game: RPG Maker MV, VX ACE or VX ... each engine has its own system to be repackaged ... but often some do not work (ex. VX ACE) ...
???

I don't understand. I thought this thread was about Renpy games.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018

I googled Zombie's Retreat and the only one I found was an RPGM game. These instructions are for Ren'Py games.

Reactions: malikon

malikon

Jul 8, 2017
???

I don't understand. I thought this thread was about Renpy games.
I googled Zombie's Retreat and the only one I found was an RPGM game. These instructions are for Ren'Py games.
Exactly ... The game you are trying to convert is not a Ren'Py but an RPG ... for this reason you can not find the appropriate folders ... I thought you already knew and were trying to convert an RPG game to MacOs ...

Zoidberg99

Oct 19, 2018
Great tutorial, thank you for posting it! Just tried it out on a short Win game, and I was able to play it, and create a Mac version just as you describe it.

triscuits

Jul 9, 2018
My struggles lie within the launch program. What part of the packaged content do I need to launch within the renpy program?

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
Download the SDK, extract it and the whole game content in the directory of the SDK. It'll show up as projects, then launch project or make a distribution(app). See steps on the 1st post.
See my previous image:

Reactions: triscuits

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
I have found it depends on the game. I am assuming you are using Wine? I have gotten some to work while other won't work no matter what I do.
I have not had much success with WINE*, but I use Parallels 13 to run windows on my Macbook Pro, and most PC games will run on my Bootcamp under Parallels. If they don't, I can usually run them if I boot directly to Windows in Bootcamp and have the game properly installed under Windows. The only games that have not worked I attribute to the architecture. So they probably have issues on some PCs. I hope that helps some of you out there.
Peace y'all, Happy gaming!

*Likely because I have only tried it with games that don't run under Parallels...

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
Good Job OP. Nothing sucks more than Apple users pissing and moaning on every game thread. "Is there a Potato version, if not your game sucks, because I bought a Potato and I'm entitled. I'm using the Mashed OS 9.3 which is not compatible with any other version like the popular Frenchfry OS 10.0, so make the game for my OS." Also port it for HashBrowns 6.0 in case I want to use it on the pad. (that time of the month)

LOL... first, there are a lot more of us out there than you think!
That said SINCE we chose the Mac, we should accept the caveats that go with it. I got mine so I could run BOTH WinDoze and OS/X and some other OS-es. I even run some Illusion games in Japanese locale... however many people use macs because the OS makes more sense, (UNIX based) and is more stable, or just because they had Apples in school. They are not savvy in how to run WinDoze apps on a Mac. So I should grant that if a Dev is running development software that has multi-platform support... and when it is just a matter of a setting, and extra compiling time to make a port... they ought to at least try, even if they don't support it. We as the Mac community, should do more to make our own ports when we can, even if they are "unauthorized" versions and help troubleshoot them.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
LOL... first, there are a lot more of us out there than you think! That said SINCE we chose the Mac, we should accept the caveats that go with it. I got mine so I could run BOTH WinDoze and OS/X and some other OS-es. I even run some Illusion games in Japanese locale... however many people use macs because the OS makes more sense, (UNIX based) and is more stable, or just because they had Apples in school. They are not savvy in how to run WinDoze apps on a Mac. So I should grant that if a Dev is running development software that has multi-platform support... and when it is just a matter of a setting, and extra compiling time to make a port... they ought to at least try, even if they don't support it. We as the Mac community, should do more to make our own ports when we can, even if they are "unauthorized" versions and help troubleshoot them.

To clarify my position...
I invested, and helped my then girlfriend's dad open one of the first Apple stores in 1981. Things have changed a lot since those days. The industry grew and apple seemingly intentionally stayed behind, to where at one point their best model was compatible with less than 1% of the software on the market. Apple nearly went bankrupt in the mid 80, and would not exist today, had it not been for IBM bailing them out, buying 30% of apple's freefalling stock. To this day many fools believe they were competitors, but Apple has never in it's history had a considerable share in the computer market, not once broaching 5% of annual sales.

Putting apple computers in schools, as you noted, was a wise marketing decision. Many children never moved on from what was familiar. There are not "a lot more of you" than I think. As a past president of AppleComputerUsersGroup, trust me you are a small minority. I commend you, for your charitable act. Buying an overpriced apple computer, puts 2 shitboxes in a school somewhere for underprivileged youth. You'd think... I paid so fucking much for this machine I should be entitled to some support from apple to play games. Good luck with that.

While many larger developers do have several machines with various hardware configurations to beta test, and debug their games, most of these small game developers do not. A lot of these devs have released an apple version, stating that they don't have hardware to test it.

So, if you mac community members (my condolences on the loss of your messiah, AIDS is a terrible way to go)
more power to you, in your quest to be nonconformists. Like you said it comes at a price, and given what you payed, you really should be ENTITLED to ask apple for support, but you are not entitled to make demands of small developers, resulting from your poor life choices, and bad decisions.

malikon

Jul 8, 2017
So, if you mac community members (my condolences on the loss of your messiah, AIDS is a terrible way to go)more power to you, in your quest to be nonconformists. Like you said it comes at a price, and given what you payed, you really should be ENTITLED to ask apple for support, but you are not entitled to make demands of small developers, resulting from your poor life choices, and bad decisions.
Sound a little bit racist... i'm proud Mac user and play freely RPGM, Ren'Py and Other Platform based games...
Make a sense and study hard (mutually helping) to overcome compatibility issues, this is the thread objective...
Peace & Love ;)

Reactions: Zoidberg99

malikon

Jul 8, 2017
We as the Mac community, should do more to make our own ports when we can, even if they are "unauthorized" versions and help troubleshoot them.
Dear mate, don't waste your time, if you need help with a specific game, tell us here and we will be proud to help you ;)
Long Live Mac

Reactions: triscuits
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes