Tutorial Ren'Py How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Comandante

Feb 10, 2018
Really?
Ive tried many times and can't even get it to start renpy (looks like its about to open, then close)
Any specifics im missing? im on OS 11.5.2 m1
thx
Yes really. I use OS 10.11.6 and it worked instantly. Did you try the newest renpy version? I'll try it on 11.5.2, but it'll take a week before I get hold of that machine.
Just tried it with 10.13.6-it works. It's difficult to give a remote diagnosis why it doesn't work on your system, but we can try to find out. If your problems still persist, I'll upload the required game. But this will take a good time, since my upload-speed is crap.
Greetings from Essen, Germany

Reactions: Ferstrike

Ferstrike

Dec 7, 2017
Yes really. I use OS 10.11.6 and it worked instantly. Did you try the newest renpy version? I'll try it on 11.5.2, but it'll take a week before I get hold of that machine.
Just tried it with 10.13.6-it works. It's difficult to give a remote diagnosis why it doesn't work on your system, but we can try to find out. If your problems still persist, I'll upload the required game. But this will take a good time, since my upload-speed is crap.
Greetings from Essen, Germany
Renpy just wont open (7.4.11) ill be trying older version, maybe thats the issue?
thx for the help, ive been trying to make an updated version of "The Personal Assistant" since it got abandoned, but my old mac was too crappy
Greetings from Mexico!

Reactions: Comandante

Comandante

Feb 10, 2018
That's a good idea. Try some older versions. If you don't succeed I'll download it, convert it and upload it for you. I just hope it works as well. :cool:

Nov 9, 2017
Renpy just wont open (7.4.11) ill be trying older version, maybe thats the issue?
thx for the help, ive been trying to make an updated version of "The Personal Assistant" since it got abandoned, but my old mac was too crappy
Greetings from Mexico!
Ideally you should get this when you first open Renpy:
Dialog.jpg

If not you may be running into issues with Gatekeeper (Apple's built in security system). It will sometimes cause programs to just stop rather than open.

1) Go to Renpy
2) Right click in it
3) If you have done it right a drop down menu will appear (pictured below)
4) Select "Open" on the menu
5) A 'MacOS cannot verity the developer of "Renpy"' message box may appear and only offer to move to trash and cancel. read it to make sure there are no real problems and, if there are no real problems, hit cancel
6) Repeat steps 2 through 4 again. A new dialogue will appear with Open as an option. Hit Open
Openfirst time.png

Ferstrike

Dec 7, 2017
Ideally you should get this when you first open Renpy:
View attachment 1588968

If not you may be running into issues with Gatekeeper (Apple's built in security system). It will sometimes cause programs to just stop rather than open.

1) Go to Renpy
2) Right click in it
3) If you have done it right a drop down menu will appear (pictured below)
4) Select "Open" on the menu
5) A 'MacOS cannot verity the developer of "Renpy"' message box may appear and only offer to move to trash and cancel. read it to make sure there are no real problems and, if there are no real problems, hit cancel
6) Repeat steps 2 through 4 again. A new dialogue will appear with Open as an option. Hit Open
View attachment 1588961
I've already done that, many renpy games needs to be opened this way because the developer issue, but after i do this procedure, the app icon at the bottom just pops for a moment, and then shuts without any notice. I've already tried older renpy versions, but I get the same result :/

Nov 9, 2017
I've already done that, many renpy games needs to be opened this way because the developer issue, but after i do this procedure, the app icon at the bottom just pops for a moment, and then shuts without any notice. I've already tried older renpy versions, but I get the same result :/
Ah. Ok this may be due to a little quirk I have seen in some Renpy games. Here is what worked for me
1) Go to your Renpy game creation folder and go to lib and make a copy of the "mac-x86_64" folder
2) Move it elsewhere and make sure it is named "mac-x86_64" (some will use the older "darwin-x86_64" which is no longer provided)
3) Right click on the game
4) If you have done it right a drop down menu will appear
5) Select "Open Package Contents"
6) Find the "lib" folder (see picture below); some older games have this in the "MacOS" folder
7) Put "mac-x86_64" folder inside "lib" folder
8) Close everything and try to relaunch game. If there are no dll requirements (some Renpy for some insane reason have these) it should launch
If that all fails you can open it from the RenPy program itself. I might add that such programs must be within an Applications folder (either the root or the user one(; I prefer the user one as shown in the final picture (All the games are stored in the "Renpy Games" folder)
lib.jpg
Placement.png
folder.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: L7Bear

Ferstrike

Dec 7, 2017
Ah. Ok this may be due to a little quirk I have seen in some Renpy games. Here is what worked for me
1) Go to your Renpy game creation folder and go to lib and make a copy of the "mac-x86_64" folder
2) Move it elsewhere and make sure it is named "mac-x86_64" (some will use the older "darwin-x86_64" which is no longer provided)
3) Right click on the game
4) If you have done it right a drop down menu will appear
5) Select "Open Package Contents"
6) Find the "lib" folder (see picture below); some older games have this in the "MacOS" folder
7) Put "mac-x86_64" folder inside "lib" folder
8) Close everything and try to relaunch game. If there are no dll requirements (some Renpy for some insane reason have these) it should launch
If that all fails you can open it from the RenPy program itself. I might add that such programs must be within an Applications folder (either the root or the user one(; I prefer the user one as shown in the final picture (All the games are stored in the "Renpy Games" folder)
View attachment 1591820
View attachment 1591821
View attachment 1591826
Thing is, the renpy creation app wont even open, and i cant find a way around it.
I've tried to open it from many locations, and many different versions, but i'm not sure what im doing wrong.
Im on a mac 11.5.2 with m1

Nov 9, 2017
Thing is, the renpy creation app wont even open, and i cant find a way around it.
I've tried to open it from many locations, and many different versions, but i'm not sure what im doing wrong.
Im on a mac 11.5.2 with m1
Do you have just the creation app or the whole folder?
Do you have Rosetta 2 installed? (Last I read RenPy is not M1 native)
My final option is long shot but do you have Xcode with the command line tools installed? I have always had this and while in theory it shouldn't be needed it is the other only other thing I can think of.
If that doesn't work I am out of ideas.

Last edited:

Ferstrike

Dec 7, 2017
Do you have just the creation app or the whole folder?
Do you have Rosetta 2 installed? (Last I read RenPy is not M1 native)
My final option is long shot but do you have Xcode with the command line tools installed? I have always had this and while in theory it shouldn't be needed it is the other only other thing I can think of.
If that doesn't work I am out of ideas.
I have the renpy development kit (the one in the link at the top of this thread)
I have Rosetta 2 installed
I don't have xcode, but im not sure that's the issue either, but i think i can try that

randomname42

May 30, 2017
Has anyone else who uses the Renpy SDK to directly run Windows/Linux builds of games on macOS been experiencing random pythonw crashes (EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) exception with exception code of KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at some random address value)? As far as I can tell it seems to only happen with SDK 7.4.x (I've tried 7.4.11, 7.4.10, and 7.4.8) - 7.3.5, which is what I had been using previously, appears to have no issues, but obviously it runs into problems with games that were compiled with 7.4.x. Interestingly though, if I actually build a macOS distribution myself using the 7.4.x SDK, it also works fine, so the issue seems limited to only running the game through the SDK.

Building a macOS distribution myself is of course a perfectly usable work-around, but being able to run directly from the SDK is much simpler, especially for games where I might need to actually look at or modify the code.

blackboyfly5678

Jul 9, 2018
Just recently started using Renpy SDK and I wondering if there is a way to use mods. I tried just adding the mods files into the game folder but then the game won't open. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

leo6666

Feb 12, 2022
When you open the DMG, you find a folder "renpy-7.3.5-sdk".
Copy this folder (the folder, not just its contents) to your Applications Folder.
Close the DMG, eject it, you don't need it anymore.

In the "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk" folder:
For the first launch, it's better to use Right Clic->Open (to avoid some security troubles). After, you can use the double clic without problems. So do it on renpy.app.
It may take a little time to open, depending on your computer, the position of the stars and your patience.. :)

Now, the first thing to do is to define your projects folder.
Then clic on Preferences (bottom right of the window).
Top left of the preference window: Projects folder, change it (You can use something like ~/Documents/RenPy or whatever you want). You're games will go there.
Select you language.
In my very personal case, the Editor is the System Editor, the default one, as my favorite editor is not listed and everything is UNselected but material render and the one below, show the file edition section.

Now you can click on Return to go back to the main window.
To add your projects, it's easy.
In your ~/Documents/RenPy folder, create your new game folder. Let's say "Big Brother, the renew of the Fork".

You have now a "~/Documents/RenPy/Big Brother, the renew of the Fork" folder.
In this one, just copy the "game" folder (the folder, not just its contents) of the game you DL. The "game" folder is enough. No need of anything else like the "lib" folder.

Finally you have a "~/Documents/RenPy/Big Brother, the renew of the Fork/game" folder.
Go back to your renpy SDK window, click on the little "refresh" near "Projects", your new content should appear.

PS: As said before, some games won't work, because of the different versions of RenPy. It's a "some", not a "nearly every", but it can happen.

PPS: The "~/Documents" folder is your Documents folder. "~/" means "/Users/yourName/".
damn!thx a lot!!!!

dikau

Dec 16, 2019
I have the renpy development kit (the one in the link at the top of this thread)
I have Rosetta 2 installed
I don't have xcode, but im not sure that's the issue either, but i think i can try that
Open Terminal and drag the renpy.app to the Terminal window. after that add '/Contents/MacOS/renpy' (without space and quotes)
example output, If you put the SDK in Application: /Applications/renpy-x.x.x-sdk/renpy.app/Contents/MacOS/renpy
and press enter.

GooseElite

Feb 18, 2019
This worked for me.
  1. cd into /Applications/renpy-sdk-8.1.3
  2. ran sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine renpy.app to remove the app from quarantine
  3. Now renpy.app successfully launches!

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes