How do you change controls for an RPG Maker game?

Jan 31, 2022
Sorry if this is asked frequently, I tried searching and didn't come up with any threads, and the posts that i'm finding on the internet are for game makers or don't seem to work anymore.

I have a split keyboard that divides the up down and left right buttons between the two halves. It's normally not an issue cause most of the games i've run into I can just rebind the keys for, but RPGM games dont' seem to allow me to swap keybinds using the 7 years old how-to that i'm finding. Anyone know how to rebind the keys from arrows to WASD or anything?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Assuming that the game is made with RpgMaker MV, you can: open the script www\js\rpg_core.js in a text editor (backup the file before modifying it), find the string Input.keyMapper, and add your own keys to the list. If you want WASD keys, for instance, these lines should work (not tested):
Code:
    65: 'left',     // a
    87: 'up',       // w
    68: 'right',    // d
    83: 'down',     // s
If you prefer to use different keys, you can visit one of these pages ( , ), press any key and see what numeric code is displayed (btw, if you test your arrow keys, what do they return?).

MV games may also include a plugin, "Keyboard Config" (part of the YEP package). It allows to remap the key list from the settings.

For older engines, probably you have to unpack the game first. Alternatively, have you ever tried AutoHotkey or any keyboard manager?

Jan 31, 2022
Assuming that the game is made with RpgMaker MV, you can: open the script www\js\rpg_core.js in a text editor (backup the file before modifying it), find the string Input.keyMapper, and add your own keys to the list. If you want WASD keys, for instance, these lines should work (not tested):
Code:
    65: 'left',     // a
    87: 'up',       // w
    68: 'right',    // d
    83: 'down',     // s
If you prefer to use different keys, you can visit one of these pages ( , ), press any key and see what numeric code is displayed (btw, if you test your arrow keys, what do they return?).

MV games may also include a plugin, "Keyboard Config" (part of the YEP package). It allows to remap the key list from the settings.

For older engines, probably you have to unpack the game first. Alternatively, have you ever tried AutoHotkey or any keyboard manager?
Ah thanks a bunch I'll give this all a try. I try not to use AHK cause it can flag as malicious for some anti-cheat programs and get you banned, so I don't like to have stuff like that installed just in case. I'm not familiar with any other input redirect/remapper programs.