• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML How do people make simple HTML browser games?

Feb 3, 2018
I don't have much knowledge on anything like this, but I've played certain HTML based browser games and I was wondering what people use to create them? They all have a similar look and feel. Is it some specific software?

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
I don't have much knowledge on anything like this, but I've played certain HTML based browser games and I was wondering what people use to create them? They all have a similar look and feel. Is it some specific software?
Yes, most HTML games you play here are written using with the story format.

Twine makes it pretty easy to make very simple "Choose Your Own Adventure" (CYOA) style games without needing to know any coding.

However, if you know a little HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and/or are willing to learn the coding language used by the Twine story format you chose, then you can make something a lot more fancy and complex.

If you're interested in trying this yourself I posted some handy Twine links here earlier, plus I have a few more in my signature. Also, you can import any of those Twine games into Twine to see how they work as well (some older Twine games will require Twine 1 to import them).

If you have any other questions, just let me know. I'm also one of the moderators of the subreddit.

Feb 3, 2018
Yes, most HTML games you play here are written using with the story format.

Twine makes it pretty easy to make very simple "Choose Your Own Adventure" (CYOA) style games without needing to know any coding.

However, if you know a little HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and/or are willing to learn the coding language used by the Twine story format you chose, then you can make something a lot more fancy and complex.

If you're interested in trying this yourself I posted some handy Twine links here earlier, plus I have a few more in my signature. Also, you can import any of those Twine games into Twine to see how they work as well (some older Twine games will require Twine 1 to import them).

If you have any other questions, just let me know. I'm also one of the moderators of the subreddit.

Thanks man! You're a great help! :D