Tutorial How Do I Make My Own CBR/CBZ files?

mladko

silver surfer
May 30, 2017
for comics readers, if you want convert jpg to cbr this is it best and easy way

i post link, because all this explanation and screenshots and my english...

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
Basically a CBZ file is a renamed ZIP file and a CBR file is a renamed RAR file.

Simply use your favourite archive creating utility (7Zip, WinZip, WinWar, etc..) to bundle the image files into either a ZIP file or a RAR file, then rename the archive file and change its file extension to either CBZ or CBR respectively.

Reactions: Blacksmithop

mladko

silver surfer
May 30, 2017
Basically a CBZ file is a renamed ZIP file and a CBR file is a renamed RAR file.

Simply use your favourite archive creating utility (7Zip, WinZip, WinWar, etc..) to bundle the image files into either a ZIP file or a RAR file, then rename the archive file and change its file extension to either CBZ or CBR respectively.
Strictly speaking - first you go to add to archive, then you rename archive name - example: opal.rar for opal.cbr - and then you click ok - i know it is like for dummies :) but sometimes you need be exact ...because IT english, etc..:)

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
...but sometimes you need be exact...
The exact steps required to create an archive file depends on which archive creating utility the end-user is using, it may be a Graphic User Interface application or it maybe a command line executable, and they may be running Windows or they maybe running some other operating system. This is why I didn't include detailed instructions because I would have to supply them for a number of different combinations of utility and operating system.

Strictly speaking - first you go to add to archive, then you rename archive name ....
My instructions did tell the end-user to first add (bundle) the files into an archive file before renaming it.

mladko

silver surfer
May 30, 2017
The exact steps required to create an archive file depends on which archive creating utility the end-user is using, it may be a Graphic User Interface application or it maybe a command line executable, and they may be running Windows or they maybe running some other operating system. This is why I didn't include detailed instructions because I would have to supply them for a number of different combinations of utility and operating system.

My instructions did tell the end-user to first add (bundle) the files into an archive file before renaming it.
it is ok :) it was not against you....only not all users have english for native language, or know good hm...use software...i learn everything alone...thats all...but sorry if i offend you

Last edited:

mladko

silver surfer
May 30, 2017
for sure here is good list of cbr/cbz readers

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
unsure why you would recommend using normal 7zip and other archive formats by itself over say comicrack which is much easier to use in general. has aton of other use cases that most people would use if they where to collect anything in the comic formats.

i get that there isnt much metadata sites at all for the type of content on this site (outside of the main publishers like marvel and dc and the others.) adding metadata from scratch and sharing that as you upload is a much better way of handling it i think.

its much easier for someone that uploads the file that got the original from official sites and so on to fill out the metadata missing before an upload.

comicrack does support all the used comic formats and has its own metadata standard that most of the main cbz readers can use.
also never use cbr over cbz as it as a few flaws with the standards in place.
cbz got easier support in comicrack while none of the others have issues with it. also supports comicbookinfo more fully which embeds the metadata in the info data of the zip without the need of rezipping.

im also SHOCKED that ubooquity wasn't mentioned at all for central hosting of your comics/manga/doujinshi.
And even Mylar wasnt mentioned which was weird as i expect there is alot of comic fans in general here.

wouldnt use any other program than comicrack on a windows as both a manager and reader.
ubooquity is always a good read on any device, small or large.
chunky comic reader is also the best option on ios by far for local content (adding better streaming support with ubooquity this year i hear)

sorry it went a bit offtopic but it was already going into comic formats and other things in general and there was alot of missing important mentions.