• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py How do I change my character name in the middle of my game save?

azgingenc0

Sep 15, 2023
Yes, as it says in the title, I want to change my character's name, but there is no such option in the game.
The game I'm playing is Time For You, by the way.

Sep 26, 2021
EDIT: Just a heads up, reading variable name can often spoil the story so be careful before you do this.

Open the game and load up your save file. Press Shift + D to bring up the dev console and select Variable Viewer from the list. You'll have to scroll through the list and find the variable that stores your player name. Once you've found it, press Shift + O to bring up the console and type in

Code:
variableName = "Whatever name you want in between these quotes"
For example in Sensei Overnight the player's name is stored in a variable called 'player_name' so to change it I would type in:

Code:
player_name = "Janu"

azgingenc0

Sep 15, 2023
EDIT: Just a heads up, reading variable name can often spoil the story so be careful before you do this.

Open the game and load up your save file. Press Shift + D to bring up the dev console and select Variable Viewer from the list. You'll have to scroll through the list and find the variable that stores your player name. Once you've found it, press Shift + O to bring up the console and type in

Code:
variableName = "Whatever name you want in between these quotes"
For example in Sensei Overnight the player's name is stored in a variable called 'player_name' so to change it I would type in:

Code:
player_name = "Janu"
I cant open dev console with shift + d

Sep 26, 2021
Good news: I found the variable, it's called user_name.

Bad news: the console is also locked down so you can't edit anything easily. You can still use the to edit it though.

Bob69

Uploading the World
Uploader
Donor
Mar 2, 2019
Good news: I found the variable, it's called user_name.

Bad news: the console is also locked down so you can't edit anything easily. You can still use the to edit it though.
Just put the attached file (right click save as) into the game folder. Then the console is active. Should work for most games, even if the dev tries to block the console.

Reactions: ReservoirCreature