RPGM How and which

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
since this engine came up, i am such a noop with this engine.
Most players hate it, but i think it is actually a nice engine.

Though i am not sure which one is better for a VN+game.

Can some one enlighten me. There are so many versions plus, is it really easy for someone with light experience of coding?
Thanks.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Most players hate it, but i think it is actually a nice engine.
They don't hate the engine, they hate the walk simulators made with it.

Too many games, at least on the Western side of the adult gaming scene, put big maps in their game for the sole pleasure to have big maps in their games. And of course they want to show those maps, so you have to walk, walk and walk again, this just to pass from a scene to another. It's also a nest at mini-games. People complain about them in Ren'Py games, but in RPG Maker it's worse. Sometimes it really looks like any RPG Maker creator have to obligation to have at least one "push the blocks" and one "play with the switches" min-game in all creation it make.

Though i am not sure which one is better for a VN+game.
Well, what can be better for a VN-like game ? An engine made for RPG, like its name say, or an engine made for VN ?

The answer isn't necessarily as obvious as the question make it looks.

RPG Maker have real advantages when it come to free roaming and combats. Plus, it's an engine really easy to use and relatively fool proof. But it's also an engine that is now clearly outdated. It have been regularly updated, the last version is less than 3 years old, but it's just update. The core design is now 30 years old, and you clearly feel it when playing. It's possible to goes further, and have a game that will provide a more modern feeling, but it need more works. And, of course, it's not designed for the panel scenes that usually take place in a VN-like game.

On the other hand Ren'Py is more modern, but it need efforts to goes further than the "formatted Ren'Py feeling". It's not really more difficult to use it, but a bit less tolerant to errors. It can do everything RPG Maker do, but you'll have to write the code for it. But it's main advantage is that it's designed for VN-like games, that it will handle way better than RPG Maker.

In the end, everything depend on what you effectively want to do.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I feel like a fool.
Well, i am one. :)

I haven't followed the engines until i joined here.
There are some games that were developed on RPGM, though i am not sure what version.
For the most part, if it's made interesting at least, the walk around isn't bad. At least i could be fun in a way.
The latest one i follow is Downfall which is imo pretty good for what it is.
I think what i like about the appearance at least, it look good. Though i have never ever used it to develop a VN.
So it made me curious if it's something worth it. Especially if you don't need to code all the things.

On RenPy i took code from there and here and over there. So it's more of a copy and paste. Most seems repetitive as no one invents the wheel twice.
I think i would be ok with a requester placed on the screen to where to go next like in older games. Go here, or there.
So i was thinking for some time, what would be better.
RenPy, even if i am not really a coder, seems easy to understand and it's free unlike RPGM.

A map. Yes, there are some games with maps. Though the ones i played were rather dull and it's more or less only a portal.
Not sure if i would include a map myself.

I would rather made everything in text with fancy fonts perhaps.

As i said, i was just really curious because some seem to like it, but everyone else seems to complain. "this needs a RenPy port".

I am surprised that it is that old. 30 years? Wow... it looks like inspired by Final Fantasy.

And no, i didn't want to make an actual RPG but to me it seems that i works for VN's as well. Without the RPG part. Though since most games use stats of some form it seems kind of fitting.
This is mostly what interests me. Playing with stats. What would happen if....

Anyway, this gives me some insight. Though i hope some more will share their experiences.

Thanks for sharing. It is helpful to me.:geek: