Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
Dark Cube, are you another lazy tasteless dev? A: two updates in one month, almost two hours of content, lewd scenes with hot chicks on every corner - no, not lazy! :) Tasteless? Check out the game! :D
SHHHHhhh! your not supposed to ruin it for the rumormongering crowd! They keep your thread on the first page! I mean where would we be without speculating half the thread?

Reactions: Wyrme and DarkCube

DarkCube

Game Developer
Jan 20, 2018
SHHHHhhh! your not supposed to ruin it for the rumormongering crowd! They keep your thread on the first page! I mean where would we be without speculating half the thread?
True! :) F95 crowd is awesome, happy that players are giving the game a warm welcome.:heartcoveredeyes:

Reactions: DLSmaster

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
@DarkCube

Can you actually do something about the game's punctuation? It's really distracting. ThatsTnow how exclamation marks are used. I feel like imI reading an old Stan Lee comic.

DarkCube

Game Developer
Jan 20, 2018
@DarkCube

Can you actually do something about the game's punctuation? It's really distracting. ThatsTnow how exclamation marks are used. I feel like imI reading an old Stan Lee comic.
Hi, T51bwinterized
And look how good Stan Lee is doing today thanks to his comics! :rolleyes:
Jokes aside, multiple exclamation marks in certain situations are there to express big surprise or excitement of the MC. It's not the best way to do it, but it works just like in comics. Anyway, I'll keep in mind your complaint regarding exclamation marks.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
Hi, T51bwinterized
And look how good Stan Lee is doing today thanks to his comics! :rolleyes:
Jokes aside, multiple exclamation marks in certain situations are there to express big surprise or excitement of the MC. It's not the best way to do it, but it works just like in comics. Anyway, I'll keep in mind your complaint regarding exclamation marks.
Speaking from one writer to another, the concept makes sense in theory. The problem is that the impact is diluted through repeated usage. If every sentence, or in your case something like 60% end in exclamation marks, then the impact of an exclamation mark is lost and it just ends up looking silly. You use variations between high and low intensity to give high intensity it's impact.

When you abuse intensity increasing techniques, you don't make the work as a whole more intense. You just rob yourself of the power of actually expressing intensity, and you cause a break from realism.

The closest point of comparison is the use of dutch angles in cinema. When you use a dutch angle, it increases the intensity of a scene. But, Battlefield Earth, among other movies, tried to basically shoot the entire movie in dutch angles to present the entire thing as more intense. But, the end result was that nothing felt more intense and that the whole thing ended up looking silly.

That's what you prevent by keeping explanation point use sparse. You save them for when you need them.

DarkCube

Game Developer
Jan 20, 2018
Speaking from one writer to another, the concept makes sense in theory. The problem is that the impact is diluted through repeated usage. If every sentence, or in your case something like 60% end in exclamation marks, then the impact of an exclamation mark is lost and it just ends up looking silly. You use variations between high and low intensity to give high intensity it's impact.

When you abuse intensity increasing techniques, you don't make the work as a whole more intense. You just rob yourself of the power of actually expressing intensity, and you cause a break from realism.

The closest point of comparison is the use of dutch angles in cinema. When you use a dutch angle, it increases the intensity of a scene. But, Battlefield Earth, among other movies, tried to basically shoot the entire movie in dutch angles to present the entire thing as more intense. But, the end result was that nothing felt more intense and that the whole thing ended up looking silly.

That's what you prevent by keeping explanation point use sparse. You save them for when you need them.
I really like your detailed and technical approach, T51bwinterized! You've made some very good points and I absolutely agree: too much salt or sugar can spoil even the best dish! I'll take your advice into consideration while working on future updates. By the way, your own game seems to have cool artworks, a pleasure to see another high-quality 2D project! :)

PS: Battlefield Earth with special effects from the 90s...nostalgia! :D

Reactions: Wyrme

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
Yup yup. Sorry I wrote my first reply while tired. Was meant as genuine helpful feedback, not annoying internet rambling.

Reactions: DarkCube

Qtibma

Dec 25, 2017
The art in this looks really nice. Unfortunately, it does not seem to run on Windows 7 (64bit) in VirtualBox. Just a black screen. Tried running it in windowed too, but it just shows a black window.

DarkCube

Game Developer
Jan 20, 2018
The art in this looks really nice. Unfortunately, it does not seem to run on Windows 7 (64bit) in VirtualBox. Just a black screen. Tried running it in windowed too, but it just shows a black window.
Hi, Qtibma
Thanks for reporting this issue! I guess you're the first one playing HoM using Virtual Box, but I'll keep an eye on people reporting similar problems. And glad that you're enjoying my game's art style! :)

Adoringfan

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2016
I want to like the game, but when I went to put in the mc's name there was no space. Game is literally unplayable at this point and that is not due to the fact that the flashback scene is an endless loop.

3.90 star(s) 7 Votes