VN Hoping for Advice for my First Renders

shane999

Mar 26, 2018
Hey guys!

I've started rendering out the first CGs for my new game, and would like some opinions on how they're coming.

Oh, and the gist of the scene is a married woman just had a blowout with her husband over getting too friendly with one of her exes, and so she goes for a walk to cool off, only to get distracted by a nice guy asking for directions. Hopefully, the images give off some of the emotions in the scene, lest I missed the mark on that.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Love them? Hate them? Think it's the result of some Lovecraftian horror's machinations and must be destroyed by fire? Any advice and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

215303j

The guy looks pretty good (not in a gay way :pokerFace:) especially in the first pic, with the phone. In the second picture, the smile is a bit weird.

The girl has a bit strange eyes. In the first picture she's angry, I get that, but in the second and third picture, she still looks angry...

The background and car look pretty good!

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Might want to reconsider her eyebrows. Making them slope down so severely towards the center line of the face makes her look like she is in permanent angry bitch mode, and it's a bit off putting. It's fine to make them that way when it's appropriate for the expression, but it definitely seems wrong to have them that way in a neutral or happy state, you generally never see that in reality.

Otherwise the renders are decent. The lighting may be a bit off for an outdoor scene, I get the impression that it is probably late on an slightly overcast day, as most of the backgrounds are very evenly lit with a pretty diffuse light source. But there are some very sharp shadows on the characters that contradict what I'm seeing in the backgrounds. Probably because you are using a single directional light to add some kick to the lighting. Which is fine, but you have to balance that key light with weaker lights from other directions to give a fill or bounced light effect that will help soften the lighting transitions on the characters and make them blend into the scene better. You can even slightly play with the colors of the extra lamps for a little something extra. I like to go with a cooler color bounced light and in this case probably warmer colored fills since there is a definite slightly pale yellowish/tan kind of feel to the background.

Could be worth researching a bit about studio, 3-point and 5-point lighting (they are all kinda interchangeable terms for the same general principles).

This is probably beyond the scope of what you are looking for, but I feel more folks who are looking to focus on Daz assets should also spend some time learning about materials, especially in regard to human skin. I never much cared for the default Daz materials, something always feels off about them. I have a feeling it may be because they aren't using maps for things like subsurface scattering (SSS). But I'm not sure, as I've never bothered to dig into the available settings to find out what's going on. It would be nice though for someone who cares about Daz to do so and experiment until they find more natural settings and share them with others to help raise the quality of renders produced across the board.

Last edited:

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I'm assuming this was rendered in 3Delight? I've been messing with Daz a lot recently and found that GL renders immediately and 3Delight renders semi-quickly and you get plenty of color, but seriously lacks the depth and detail of Iray. If you don't have the video card for it, that's fine, but if you have a great PC, I'd recommend stepping it up to Iray. Your poses are really good, with close contact to hard surfaces and minimal to no clipping.

Last edited:

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
I dont know much about these programs but there are definitely lightning issues on the girl. The guy looks very normal to me while the girl very weird. Her skin seems artificial, looks like a doll, and ofc the face is pretty ugly. Overall there is a big differencebetween them. Btw, the dude looks alot like Henry from Kingdom Come hehe :D

fred1970

Nov 13, 2016
Hey guys!

I've started rendering out the first CGs for my new game, and would like some opinions on how they're coming.

Oh, and the gist of the scene is a married woman just had a blowout with her husband over getting too friendly with one of her exes, and so she goes for a walk to cool off, only to get distracted by a nice guy asking for directions. Hopefully, the images give off some of the emotions in the scene, lest I missed the mark on that.

Love them? Hate them? Think it's the result of some Lovecraftian horror's machinations and must be destroyed by fire? Any advice and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

fred1970

Nov 13, 2016
like the graphics but it think it could do with some more shading

Last edited: