HTML Holy sh*t Twine 2 is not made for management games

Jan 25, 2018
This is just venting, but holy sh*t Twine 2 is not made for management games. I decided to try to replicate a Free Cities-like management game for my own entertainment and about 7 hours into it I can't imagine what possessed the dev of that game to make it in Twine.

The closest that it seems to get to OOP is creating deep clones of DataMaps, and it just does not have a way to reuse "custom" functions (as in the functions that don't come in the docs by default). Essentially, the second you need to do something that isn't posting plain text or an already pre-edited image, you're SOL.

Oddly enough, even when it comes to just doing text, I've not yet found a way to natively provide a player with two options and proceed with writing text + altering a variable in the same page once one of the two options is selected because it will not delete the other option in the page.

Obviously it has the <src></src> tag so you can always try to work your way around issues using that, but with the way things are set up you're far more limited than if you were just using html/css/js.

That being said, and in the interest of fairness, anyone with basic literacy skills count probably write a choose-your-own-adventure -like very basic story which I guess is what the engine is primarily made for. It just makes it weirder that quite a few high profile complex games were made in the engine, considering that the authors were probably fighting against it every step of the way.

I'm still persisting with it though, I'm finding that the limitations make for a very interesting puzzle.

Jan 25, 2018
Aaaand I have to stop. The Harlowe makes altering its variables through JS impossible, which makes the whole project a waste of time. Meanwhile Snowman straight up doesn't seem to work on my OS, so I might as well just do this via angularJS at this stage.

aspar4gus

Mar 27, 2019
about time we have a worthy successor to free cities, i hope you success in your endeavors, whether in twine or if it take another path

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Twine is great for lot's of stuff. You can write an external parser and design it in twine if you still want to use twine ide.

Jan 25, 2018
A bit too late now, I've already created the basic engine for what I need and am working on adding content. It's probably for the best as I would love to add some more complex JS minigames.