Holiday Island [v0.1.4] [darkhound1] - General discussions and information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson NE

May 12, 2018
Nice! We all know this thread will be perverted but still it worth a try :)

Few thought about this:
I'm all for a discussion of possibilities for charm, looks, affection, anger, love, etc.
What would be great is to have a differentiation between "new stuff to do" and the way game mechanics should/could work to make it a better experience.
I was mainly talking about the latter in my patreon post. Your above posts suggest you're mixing the two which is not a bad thing in general, but it's hard to make something I can use in the game with it.
So for example: Fusing looks with charm as @jikorde suggested falls into the latter (second) category. The idea is sound, I agree with the statement. How to exactly implement it in the game is still a different matter.
Another example (more complicated): Anger could stop the talk action for that girl until she gets a gift from you. as suggested by @Puppet Master. This is mainly a use case for the anger attribute, so it falls into the former (new stuff) category. But it touches the game mechanics as well, because gifts have to lower anger (which is already implemented btw).

Let me try to outline the ideas I have for a change in game mechanics:
  • Keep the values as they are now in the background (range 1 to 100, except for looks)
  • Replace them by values ranged 0 to 5 where you, the user/player can see them directly (e.g. 0 to 5 hearts for love, 0 to 5 angry "faces symbol", etc.)
  • Link all actions, scenes, parts of scenes (e.g. have vaginal sex, titfuck and so on) to certain ratings (e.g. you need 4 hearts and 3 lust to have real sex with the girl, or at least 3 hearts and 5 lust, something like that)
  • If an action was mainly "lust triggered", the girl could get second thoughts about it afterwards, making her angry. This way we could have certain scenes "before their time", but a ta certain cost in anger.
  • If anger is >= 2, the girl won't do a), b), c) with you. If it is >= 3 - she won't do d), e) , f) if it is 5, she will leave the island. E.g. anger gets down by 1 point per week when she's not on the island. But affeciton/love could get down too.
  • To come back to the type of scenes: We could e.g. have different categories:
    basic actions (like working out at the gym with her) --> e.g. requires 1 or 2 affection, anger < 4
    a little more advanced (like walking the beach or swimming) --> e.g. requires 3 affection, anger < 3, or 1 affection and xx looks/charn
    advanced but still basic stuff (e.g. posing at the pool, gym training yoga) --> e.g. requires 4 affection, anger < 3
    and so on... The short list isn't meant to be "real" or how it has to be. They are just examples to categorize the scenes
  • Advancement in hearts/affection --> Since the background values are still 0...100, the values 0 to 5 will be non linear.
    E.g. >=10 -> 1 heart, >=25 -> 2 hearts, ..., >= 95 -> 5 hearts
  • Only advancements up to a certain point can be made with talking or kissing/hugging, or the allowed frequency could be lowered to make it a less repetitive/boring thing. Or you have to alternate to advance the stats. E.g. the game rememebrs last action was "hug/kiss". So to advance love you have to do something else, like use a gift. After that you can "hug/kiss" again.
  • To make this work, we need new ways to advance affection and love. (we have talking, hugging, kissing, gifts right now). Also through scene interaction, but which is kinda random right now (I put some where I thought it might fit kinda logic).
    I was thinking about spending time with the girl as a general thing and maybe do something "special" for her. Like get her a special flower, a swimsuit, whatever else...
  • I have though about the "max love", "max affection" stuff as well. Depending on the way the changes are done, they might no longer be necessary. Or they could be used in another way. To allow for love, affection go down under certain circumstances. But it will be easier to brig them back up, since you already had them at that level (which is stored in the max... variable)
  • Change the anger attribute into more of an anger/jealousy attribute. This will give additional options. E.g. if three girls are at the pool and you pick one to swim with her. The other 2 "remember" they were not picked. If a girl isn't picked xx times, she gets angry/jealous. Once you pick her, it will be reset. The level could be different for each girl. E.g. Yvette doesn't get angry/jealous so easy. She is not the type. While Eva will do so quite fast.
In the end what I'm aiming for is the follwing:
  • Less boring and grinding game start
  • Less repeptitive (girl) stats advancement
  • Still having a use for talking, hugging, kissing after a certain point with a girl has been reached
  • More transparency as to which requirements are needed for what scene or type of scene
  • A better feeling of advancement/having accomplished something with a girl for the player. I think switching from a 0 to 100 value range to a 0 to 5 "hearts" rating will help doing that. Right now you either use cheats or click "talk", "hug", "kiss" a felt 50 times, until all stats are maxed without reading the stuff or looking at the images any more... I really would like to change that.
  • Make the different personalities of the girls more important in stats development
  • Love the general idea. I know it's a pain in the neck to do it, but I strongly feel that will worth to be done the sooner the posible.
  • Not a fan of using icons instead of a 0-100 number scale but I have to admit this will make the game more intuitive and easy to understand. That's the way most of the games are developed right now and the reason is certainly the usability improvement.
  • In the other hand it probably won't be a good idea to use them as the check scale. Thinking in a mid-long term you may feel you unnecesarily restrained youself having to set up the checks in a 0-5 scale having the 0-100 in the background.
  • If you are looking for a better usability, a non-linear scale to show the symbols it probably won't be the most intuitive way. You can always use a non-linear internal requirements in your 0-100 scale to do the checks but it will probably be better to show up the symbols in a linear scale.
  • I've always though the love meter should way more difficult to fullfill and, in a long term, can be used to set up very very specific scenes and storylines for every character. I know this will finish one of the best features of HI where you don't need more than one savegame to access to all the content, but, thinking in terms of realism, when women really fall in love to their maximum they usually turns even more jelous. The feature can be just set up and non-used for a very long time (even only used for future endings ofthe game) in order to preserve the total access current feature.
  • I'd strongly encourage to take the advantage of doing this work to increase the number of stats, attributes, skills the MC and the girls have. The more they have more options you will have in the future to set up new actions to do the game more dynamic and less repetitive. For sure, it musn't be set up a large amount of them, the game would turn too complex and difficult to understand.
  • And the last big reccomendation is to take advantage as well to set an easier or arcade mode. Many things like an auto-succeed system on checks can be set up. This way the game will be less disgusting for the lazy players and will be able to get rid about some of their constant complains about grinding or having barriers to access to content.

junior366

Jun 20, 2017

Few thought about this:

• Love the general idea. I know it's a pain in the neck to do it, but I strongly feel that will worth to be done the sooner the posible.
  • Not a fan of using icons instead of a 0-100 number scale but I have to admit this will make the game more intuitive and easy to understand. That's the way most of the games are developed right now and the reason is certainly the usability improvement.
  • In the other hand it probably won't be a good idea to use them as the check scale. Thinking in a mid-long term you may feel you unnecesarily restrained youself having to set up the checks in a 0-5 scale having the 0-100 in the background.
  • If you are looking for a better usability, a non-linear scale to show the symbols it probably won't be the most intuitive way. You can always use a non-linear internal requirements in your 0-100 scale to do the checks but it will probably be better to show up the symbols in a linear scale.
  • I've always though the love meter should way more difficult to fullfill and, in a long term, can be used to set up very very specific scenes and storylines for every character. I know this will finish one of the best features of HI where you don't need more than one savegame to access to all the content, but, thinking in terms of realism, when women really fall in love to their maximum they usually turns even more jelous. The feature can be just set up and non-used for a very long time (even only used for future endings ofthe game) in order to preserve the total access current feature.
  • I'd strongly encourage to take the advantage of doing this work to increase the number of stats, attributes, skills the MC and the girls have. The more they have more options you will have in the future to set up new actions to do the game more dynamic and less repetitive. For sure, it musn't be set up a large amount of them, the game would turn too complex and difficult to understand.
  • And the last big reccomendation is to take advantage as well to set an easier or arcade mode. Many things like an auto-succeed system on checks can be set up. This way the game will be less disgusting for the lazy players and will be able to get rid about some of their constant complains about grinding or having barriers to access to content.
I sir am not a pervert, I am a Provert!

Reactions: lots`o`fap

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
I sir am not a pervert, I am a Provert!
Wait, does this mean there is a class I can sign up for to learn how to become a pervert or provert? Is it a night class or does it meet during the day? How many times a week? Do we get certificates of graduation and awards, etc.? How is that going to affect my other stats on the island?

Reactions: junior366

jikorde

Mar 4, 2018
I'm not going to say adding more stats would be a bad idea, but the stats we already have are underused as it is
so adding more feels iffy. Endurance, lust, affection, and stealth are the only ones that are really used often for unlocking content. Adding more things to work on without systems that actually use them just creates more clutter.

I am all for the idea of skill training kinds of stuff, like learning to massage for scenes. Where you need x amount of strength to start learning, and then the actual skill is tracked separately as you level it up. Combine the training process with some bonding time with either Heather of Faye, or both. Then go to the other girls rooms and offer massages for some love or affection points, with differing amounts based on how much that girl would need a massage.

Honestly, I think actually being able to invite the girls to dates is long overdo. I can invite them to locations to do what they invite me to do, but not use some favor or love to get them to eat a special romantic dinner in some VIP area or you know, actually ask to have sex with them. Even just watching TV/ a movie in some VIP theater as a quick "I spent time with Yvette watching a romantic movie" would feel a bit better in building the relationship and having our guy show some actual initiative.

Edit: Fixed message to massage. I can't spell.

Reactions: Wilson NE

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
I am all for the idea of skill training kinds of stuff, like learning to message for scenes. Where you need x amount of strength to start learning, and then the actual skill is tracked separately as you level it up. Combine the training process with some bonding time with either Heather of Faye, or both. Then go to the other girls rooms and offer messages for some love or affection points, with differing amounts based on how much that girl would need a message.

Honestly, I think actually being able to invite the girls to dates is long overdo. I can invite them to locations to do what they invite me to do, but not use some favor or love to get them to eat a special romantic dinner in some VIP area or you know, actually ask to have sex with them. Even just watching TV/ a movie in some VIP theater as a quick "I spent time with Yvette watchign a romantic movie" would feel a bit better in building the relationship and having our guy show some actual initiative.
Blame my mother, the high school English teacher, but when I first read this, I was like why would anyone need to learn how to message? The MC already receives sexts so it stands to reason he knows how to send a text. Then you said Faye and Heather and it dawned on me you meant massage and you were probably done in by 'spell-check'.

junior366

Jun 20, 2017
Wait, does this mean there is a class I can sign up for to learn how to become a pervert or provert? Is it a night class or does it meet during the day? How many times a week? Do we get certificates of graduation and awards, etc.? How is that going to affect my other stats on the island?
You, sir, are already at "Provert " level already. You have given ME a few classes, and I thought I was an expert!

Wilson NE

May 12, 2018
I'm not going to say adding more stats would be a bad idea, but the stats we already have are underused as it is
so adding more feels iffy. Endurance, lust, affection, and stealth are the only ones that are really used often for unlocking content. Adding more things to work on without systems that actually use them just creates more clutter.
Yeah, you're right. I haven't explained myself properly. I was thinking in a longer term. The suggestion is to left set up an easy way to increase the number of stats, attributes, skills or similar whenever in the future is considered necesary. No necesarily make the additions right now.

I mean, think about a place in the UI where those futurible new skills can be placed, set up the functions and methods using parameters instead of direct names so in case of a new addition you already have the half the work done, and so on...

jikorde

Mar 4, 2018
Yeah, you're right. I haven't explained myself properly. I was thinking in a longer term. The suggestion is to left set up an easy way to increase the number of stats, attributes, skills or similar whenever in the future is considered necesary. No necesarily make the additions right now.

I mean, think about a place in the UI where those futurible new skills can be placed, set up the functions and methods using parameters instead of direct names so in case of a new addition you already have the half the work done, and so on...
Nothing we say is really going to happen right, but I get what you mean. Prepare the game for expansion for later so it isn't a struggle when you want to do it. Thing is, you want major stat to be decided pretty early on so you don't need to modify a lot of content for stuff added later, and we have the major stats.

A place in the UI for new stuff might just over clutter things unless you just stuck all of them in a new phone app, or shrunk everything. Maybe swap out one of the stats for a revlent stat bar that changes when you go into a situation that would use a skill instead of a stat?

Reactions: brianiac and Bantry
Jun 4, 2017
Blame my mother, the high school English teacher, but when I first read this, I was like why would anyone need to learn how to message? The MC already receives sexts so it stands to reason he knows how to send a text. Then you said Faye and Heather and it dawned on me you meant massage and you were probably done in by 'spell-check'.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thrown by that . . .

partanen

Selectively Active Member
Uploader
Donor
Sep 13, 2017
Still like the idea of a Holiday Island limbo contest. With some minor modifications some of the renders are already completed. For example ...

View attachment 227130

Remove the MC, the weights and the bench. Replace the carpet with sand and re-position her arms and Voila, Amy goes underneath the Limbo bar. Well you get the idea.
But then there will be the huge problem with about all girl dropping the bar because of obvious reasons in their upper front geography. Or falling every time to their backs because of sudden changes in their weight distribution. Bu-uu-t I wouldn't complain as it means that Lacey or Brenda or maybe even Yumiko would win all the time and would offer endless row of Special Thank You events.:love:

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
It has been what now? 2 days and more than 50% of the posts are off topic already.
Please guys... If it continues like that I will stop reading the posts in this thread.
PLEASE don't everyone write a sorry post now, quoting this one! Just restrain yourself a bit from posting philosophical stuff.
A joke every now and then is not a problem of course. But as you can all see, it tends to quickly get out of hand.

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
Ok, back on track. It's planned to make appointments with the girls. Perhaps you need to spend Favor to get that to happen. Instead of the dialogue being, "It will cost you 25 favor." You could say, "Could you do me a favor?" then another line: "This will cost you 25 favor."
Of course, if we get icons instead, "This will cost you one favor heart."

Also, most of the girls don't like to flash you if anyone is around, and Jessica and Aly don't want to pose topless on the lounger with other girls around. Maybe we could circumvent this by spending favor.

@Wilson NE maybe you could add a mod for us to make a girl be like Desire or Amy or Natasha and flash us even when other girls are present.

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
For the new room pictures, I tried to get the frame to move all the way to one side, but it stopped. Also, making the frame move that far takes a lot of clicks. Could we get the frame to center by clicking on the image, kind of like we do with the posing scenes? If not, how about a click and hold to move the frame?
I'd like a horizontal pic, but that probably wouldn't work (or be too much work for too little payoff). Instead, what if we paid another 150 to expand the middle picture to the size of a sexting image. You'd have to hit the H key to see all three, but then you could use the middle one for more horizontal images. I don't know how much work changing the selector would be though. Maybe for the 2.0.

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
I saw your post & got the monitor working for the 3 special characters. Is there a way to make that work in game. Say as a favor from the doctor to plant the device in Jennifer & Yumiko for you. Maybe you can snoop around Joy's office and find that she has implanted the device in them already. Then you can gain access and hack into them.
Getting Joy's data should be harder, maybe a quest: do something covert for Joy & she'll give you access.
We're playing a lot of poker with Joy now. Could we get her stats to increase when we win as well as 100 HI bucks?

A friend of a pervert could be a co-vert.

Reactions: junior366

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
I saw your post & got the monitor working for the 3 special characters. Is there a way to make that work in game. Say as a favor from the doctor to plant the device in Jennifer & Yumiko for you. Maybe you can snoop around Joy's office and find that she has implanted the device in them already. Then you can gain access and hack into them.
Getting Joy's data should be harder, maybe a quest: do something covert for Joy & she'll give you access.
We're playing a lot of poker with Joy now. Could we get her stats to increase when we win as well as 100 HI bucks?

A friend of a pervert could be a co-vert.
I've already planned the first part, at least for Jennifer and Yumiko. It doesn't make much sense without correcting the locations for them first. Right now since it didn't matter, they are always in their rooms (well even if they are somewhere else).
Right now all events with Joy don't require any stats checks. If that changes, I will think about her stats :)

For the new room pictures, I tried to get the frame to move all the way to one side, but it stopped. Also, making the frame move that far takes a lot of clicks. Could we get the frame to center by clicking on the image, kind of like we do with the posing scenes? If not, how about a click and hold to move the frame?
I'd like a horizontal pic, but that probably wouldn't work (or be too much work for too little payoff). Instead, what if we paid another 150 to expand the middle picture to the size of a sexting image. You'd have to hit the H key to see all three, but then you could use the middle one for more horizontal images. I don't know how much work changing the selector would be though. Maybe for the 2.0.
It's complicated to do it. I have to avoid the frame moving outside of the valid area. Or the game will crash when the image is displayed in the player room.
The left/right movement is limited right now, because I thought you wouldn't need to move the frame super far left or right. But there is no real reason not to allow it. I will see what I can do to add a similar "mouse click" logic like we have for the posing.

Reactions: Puppet Master

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
I really like the flashing images & seeing all the girls' breasts exposed in all their costumes.
I thought that this could be an achievement, but how to do it, since the image in the file has no background, since they can do it anywhere.
Would this work? Have the girl send you a topless pose taken in her room as a sext after you've seen her topless in that outfit. She could type: "I liked showing you my goodies in public, but now you can see them in private."
This would have the added benefit of giving most of the girls 6+ more sexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.