RPGM Hidden Chests or No Hidden Chests?

Isekai Games

Nov 30, 2017
I’m working on level design for a new rpgmaker game I’m making. Deciding on whether or not to put in a bunch of random chests in the corners and nooks of the map.

I know some games go all in on either tons of hidden chests or most items/gear on main story path. I’ve seen a couple games with a decent middle ground as well.

Do you like hunting for hidden chests/secrets in rpg maker games or would you rather have most items given through main story + mob grinding?

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
It mainly depends on the loot. If it's extra gold, a health potion sold at the store, or simple gear then the answer is "No". The hidden chests I prefer are the ones that give rewards along the lines of: extra collectable H-Art, side quest relevant items, or a clue to a different hidden place then my answer changes to "Yes".

However, from the way you word your question, maybe I'm picturing the scattering around the map differently. I'll grab the first type of chest if it's along my main story path and be happy. If I see a chest hidden behind a wall and it takes several minutes to backtrack to get to for an extra potion then I would likely avoid collecting similar chests in the future.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Isekai Games

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
Classic jrpgs would hide treasures in random corners for two main reasons:
  1. To reward players who explore
  2. Because finding secrets is fun
Bonus reason: Game secrets and cheat codes used to be a hot commodity back in the day before the internet made them obsolete. Lots of game developers put hidden things in their games for people to find and talk about with their friends.

There's nothing inherently wrong about them. No one is going to complain about finding extra money, or some item. As long as you don't overdo it. If you hide anything in a game, you can not assume the player is going to find it. So any important or plot progressing item is clearly out of the question.

Last edited:

Isekai Games

Nov 30, 2017
Classic jrpgs would hide treasures in random corners for two main reasons:
  1. To reward players who explore
  2. Because finding secrets is fun
Bonus reason: Game secrets and cheat codes used to be a hot commodity back in the day before the internet made them obsolete. Lots of game developers put hidden things in their games for people to find and talk about with their friends.

There's nothing inherently wrong about them. No one is going to complain about finding extra money, or some item. As long as you don't overdo it. If you hide anything in a game, you can not assume the player is going to find it. So any important or plot progressing item is clearly out of the question.
What do you think about the bonus hidden chests being currency/materials loot piñatas which essentially reduce the need to grind for the upgrades necessary to progress to next story section? That way it’s still simple and doesn’t eat up too much dev time while I’m working on the main story. The idea is to still incentivizes exploring the map without the player being seriously punished if they miss a chest.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
If you want them to explore the map and look for these loot piñatas, sure I guess. Just be mindful of making sure the game is still enjoyable for players who don't end up finding them.

One trick some games use is to show the chest out in the open and obscure the path to it. So the player can clearly see there's goodies to be had, but will have to look around to find a way to reach it. One example would be a chest behind a counter in a shop, hinting to the player to look for a backdoor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isekai Games

Isekai Games

Nov 30, 2017
If you want them to explore the map and look for these loot piñatas, sure I guess. Just be mindful of making sure the game is still enjoyable for players who don't end up finding them.

One trick some games use is to show the chest out in the open and obscure the path to it. So the player can clearly see there's goodies to be had, but will have to look around to find a way to reach it. One example would be a chest behind a counter in a shop, hinting to the player to look for a backdoor.
Great Idea! I just finished the world map and am getting started on the individual zones/maps. I’ll start off with doing something like this since it won’t eat up too much dev time.