Help with rar and 7z...

chargerfan

Aug 6, 2018
I have been downloading games and mods for a few months but lately have resorted to just downloading zip files. For some reason I can only get zip files to open. 7z files I'm at about 10% working for me and a couple rar have worked. I've followed different directions I've seen to no avail, does anyone have some tips for this noob? Thanks in advance.

Oct 30, 2018
Are you using an unpacking tool like or ?

Edit: If you are using one, is it throwing any kind of error at you?

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
are the files corrupt or there is a error extracting? i use 7-zip and have no problems with zip / rar / 7z / iso etc

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I have been using WinRar since forever and I never had a problem.
If you have connection problems the file might get corrupted during download.

chargerfan

Aug 6, 2018
One error i get with 7z is "cannot determine compressed stream type. Supported stream types zip, gzip, rar ect. Often times the file Im trying to open will appear on the left side of the 7zip app but no files appear on the right side and no folder is created for the game to open.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Try to open it with WinRar and let us know how it goes.

chargerfan

Aug 6, 2018
I need to re-download a some games that hadn't worked but winRar seems to be working better. Thank you, I'll update this thread soon.

Reactions: Winterfire

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I have been downloading games and mods for a few months but lately have resorted to just downloading zip files. For some reason I can only get zip files to open. 7z files I'm at about 10% working for me and a couple rar have worked. I've followed different directions I've seen to no avail, does anyone have some tips for this noob? Thanks in advance.
Also, make sure your compression software is up-to-date. Older versions can have compatibility issues.

Reactions: Walg

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
I need to re-download a some games that hadn't worked but winRar seems to be working better. Thank you, I'll update this thread soon.
Also, make sure your compression software is up-to-date. Older versions can have compatibility issues.
Outdated 7zip/winrar's probably the most likely and common issue with compression on F95 so it's very important to make sure you keep updating 7zip/winrar. My 7zip's no longer updating so I've changed compression tools and since then it's worked a treat.

Reactions: Papa Ernie