Help with image size in Daz3D/Photoshop

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Hello,

I was wondering if i can get some advise with how to deal with the file size of some the images in creating for a game. im rendering in daz 3d @ 1920x1080 and im getting really good images at around 2-3mb but when i do post work in photoshop the images turn into 10-13mb in size. the post work makes the images look even better but as of right now - i have over 200-250 renders and my game is at 650-700mb in size just for chapter 1. now i havent released because i dont want to release something that is not completed ( well chapter 1 at least ). as of right now i was planning on creating more content but i dont want to end up with a 1gb game. any advise on how to lower the file size on the images without losing quality?

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
Strange, the image shouldn't increase that much on Photoshop, do you merge all the layers before save?

Anyway, you are probably using png, which is the best format to work from Daz to Photoshop. When the image is completely done, just save it as jpg and the size should shrink a lot. If you need to reduce more, there are some techniques to reduce quality in an imperceptible way.

Reactions: Insanepenguin91

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Strange, the image shouldn't increase that much on Photoshop, do you merge all the layers before save?

Anyway, you are probably using png, which is the best format to work from Daz to Photoshop. When the image is completely done, just save it as jpg and the size should shrink a lot. If you need to reduce more, there are some techniques to reduce quality in an imperceptible way.

WOW - i just tested saving it as a jpg. image as png was 9.9mb as jpg 1.3mb no quality loss. damn thats a game changer ( lol literally )

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
WOW - i just tested saving it as a jpg. image as png was 9.9mb as jpg 1.3mb no quality loss. damn thats a game changer ( lol literally )
Webp with very slight lossy settings is much smaller with IMO imperceivable quality loss.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You can also tune the JPG settings to adjust the compression-versus-loss tradeoff.

You can do this in Photoshop, of course, but for a lot of images, it can be tedious. Another option is ImageMagick, which is a command line utility. With it, you can set up a batch script that will convert a series of images. It can both convert format and also (for JPG files) quality levels.
Code:
magick inputfile.png -quality 90% outputfile.jpg
will take a PNG file, convert it to JPG using a 90% quality level, and write it to an output file. You can experiment as to what quality level you want to use. Note that (to my eye) dropping to 85-90% is usually no issue, and reduces the size of images a LOT.

Jackboo1

Aug 26, 2017
How are you saving the files?

Through the menu "File" > "Save as"? Because that would explain a lot.

Try to save through the menu "File" > "Export" > "Save for Web", and choose the desired format and quality.

stachelzelle

Jul 8, 2017
"Save for Web" gives you better control about filesize and image quality ... or try Faststone Image Viewer, gives you even more control about JPG settings than Photoshop.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
My DAZ images are all over 12+MB in size, i put all of them through PS for some added work but mainly to reduce. They are all between 1-2mb in size. Use jpg as format and use the Save to Web option .. et voila