Help making good quality Daz renders

Wildman Dev

Game Developer
Dec 19, 2021
Others will be even more informative than I, but the basics are lighting, DoF, and post-work.

There isn't really a one-solution-fits-all kind of method because environments are different. Keep tweaking lighting and learn as much as you can in Photoshop or Gimp or whatev. Most of the great renders you see, I'd estimate like 50% of it is done outside of Daz.

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
from sunlight Do you mean Auto Head lamps??
No I mean the actual Sun. There is a light that is supposed to be the Sun, and the results aren't pretty, although I have no idea why. When I tried it just made everything very yellow oversaturated. It could be though that I was missing something. Lighting in DAZ is being deliberately kept obscure, because there is a lot of money to be made in selling light sets. Also it does feel like it is harder to achieve realistic or even just good looking results in Iray than in other engines, like for instance in Vray or Corona.

Daz 3D Lighting Tutorial : How To Use The Sun Sky Dome

The lighting is also unnecessarily complicated.
Take this for instance from the comments in the video above (but it may have changed in the interim)

there is another clever way to use the "Sun Sky Dome" a little better. The problem is that if you decide to use this method, you can't use any other lights because logically, they won't work. BUT... You can use "Dome and Scene" and delete "Environment Map". It is then actually exactly the same as if you were using the Sun Sky Dome, but the difference is that you can also use other lights. Important info: If you decide to use the method I wrote about, every time you open your project in DAZ, you have to delete that map again. For some reason, it always returns when DAZ is opened and closed. This is quite an inappropriate method for people who use "Render Queue," for example, but at least for me, it was always pretty cool (if I didn't use HDRI).

Yeah, I'm aware of that work around and it's great that it exists - but it is actually a bug that could get fixed in any new version of Daz hence why I didn't include it. Now. Why "Sun SKy" prevents the using of spot and point lights in the first place is another issue. I don't know why Daz itself blocks it.

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
For instance what I got using the Sun pretty much looked like this (yellow and over exposed). sunlight.jpg

And speaking of difficulty I have no idea how to get lighting like this:

metart_sheer-lace_neesa_high_0001.jpg

Which you can achieve in other engines.