RPGM [Help] Ecchi Riyu and the Mystery of Snowy Peak

kayot

Dec 19, 2017

I've been self studying Japanese for about a year and I think I'm ready to do a translation. This game seems really short and I've already dumped the scripts with RPGMaker Trans and made a program that lets me hunt down any line in any text file in a directory. However for the life of me, I can't find the opening text anywhere.

Can someone help me find it?

Reactions: Pharan

Ogolov

May 1, 2017
Since you can't find it as text, it's probably an image. A lot of RPGM games have openings as Images.

kayot

Dec 19, 2017
It isn't a picture. It's written to the screen RPGM style. I've attached a sample of it to this post.

When I opened the game in RPG Maker VX Ace, the text in question isn't in any dialogs. Instead I found a comment that triggers a script, but I couldn't find the script in question. I manually extracted every script and used my text finding tool on them and still couldn't find anything.

The comment is '<link opening>' and a little later '<link 1>' and finally '<link opening2>'. I couldn't find a corresponding string anywhere to these comments. I even tried using RegEX with a greedy comparator and nothing.

Ogolov

May 1, 2017
Did you try searching for it in the VX editor without extracting the files? You can search every Script with Shift+Ctrl+F in the Script Screen

kayot

Dec 19, 2017
This game uses TES (found in scripts), which uses a file called main.rvdata2 to store certain events.

When I try to decode this file with TES_Patcher, I get the following;

Code:
Found: DataManager code
Found: Game Interpreter code
Found: Scene Base code
TES was not found
I have no idea how to proceed from here. I'm not very good at encryption and I've never programmed in ruby. I'm mainly C, C++, and C#.

kR1pt0n1t3

Dec 31, 2017
I've contacted the guy that made the TES Patcher program to see if he can adjust the program to work with this game. I'll update here as soon as I know more.

EDIT:
I've talked with Sinflower and he told me the reason the program isn't working is that the game uses an older version of the script so you need an older version of TES Patcher to unpack.

You can download the version you need here:

To extract:

1. Copy TES_Patcher.exe inside root game folder
2. Open CMD and navigate to the same folder
3. Use "TES_Patcher -m Data -e" command to unpack

After that wait for the program to unpack and you should see a new folder named extract_main inside the game root folder.

kayot

Dec 19, 2017
I've translated most of the GUI and a chunk of the early intro. I had to back off for a bit. I was constantly getting stuck because of Kanji, and particles I didn't recognize. So I've been doing NihongoShark, Remembering the Kanji, Kanji Kombat, and Learn Japanese from Zero Book 2 (I'm considering going to Genki). I've long since finished the initial NihongoShark deck and I have an 8% failure rate. I'm also trying to learn words, their Kanji, and sounds. I have to physically sound out a lot of Katakana to figure out what it says with r's and l's still giving me trouble. Knowing the first word associated with a Kanji is a tremendous time saver compared to trying to build each Kanji in my dictionary. Now I just look at the two to four Kanji and go, Study (gaku) + Life(sei) = Student, Friend(tomo) + Accomplished(dachi) = Friend, and when I don't know I just lookup each Kanji by word and then put them together.

It's faster than identifying each part of a Kanji. Plus after writing every Kanji in NihongoShark, I'm way better at stroke counts and Kanji parts which helps with Kanji I might not remember. I have zero interest in using any sort of machine translation for anything other than self checking my own translations. If I translate, I'll do it myself. On that note, if you're asking because you want to take a crack at this game, don't let me stop you. I don't call dibs on a translation.

If you're waiting on me, I have no real time table for completion. I'm still terrible at this and my translation speed is very VERY slow. I'm also suffering from impostor syndrome where I don't think I'm any good and I second guess all my translations. Some day I'll be able to watch an anime in Japanese and enjoy it without subtitles. Today isn't that day... Tomorrow isn't looking good either.