Daz [HELP] D-Force Creating and hanging a blanket over a character on a bed

iDuckDuck

Jan 30, 2024
Hi guys, I'm trying to put a blanket on a character using (Ultimate dForce Bed), but the blanket goes through the mattress, my head is exploding trying to solve this problem. I saw that there is the option to leave the pillow off, just like in the image, I believe that if I could do this with the mattress the problem would be solved, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find how to do this.

d-force_01-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif

I found this tutorial (Creating and Draping a Blanket Over a Figure) on the Daz3D forum, I won't put a link because it's my first post and I don't know for sure if I can do this, but in the tutorial he presses Simulate and the magic happens, however It wasn't like that with me, the blanket always goes to the floor and goes through anything I put between it.

d-force_02-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif

Taking advantage of the moment, I believe that if I add D-Force to the mattress and pillow and change the gravity upwards, both would shape the character's body, this is possible, if someone could explain to me how I would be very grateful.

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
I had similar problem, but first check in display menu, if all object are "visible in simulation". You can either add to mattress object "dforce static surface"
If it does not help it can be Daz error. Sometimes when I created some simulation and added/loaded new character/prop to the scene it was not visible in simulation. Just like your problem.
Try restart Daz, load all characters and props (including bed and blanket) and start simulation again. Do not calculate simulation before all props are loaded.

• Red Heart
Reactions: iDuckDuck

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Hi guys, I'm trying to put a blanket on a character using (Ultimate dForce Bed), but the blanket goes through the mattress, my head is exploding trying to solve this problem. I saw that there is the option to leave the pillow off, just like in the image, I believe that if I could do this with the mattress the problem would be solved, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find how to do this.
That asset is all ready to simulate, you shouldn't need to do anything to surfaces or whatnot.

In the scene tab, select (ctrl+click) the blanket, the bed, the character. Right click on the simulation tab and select simulate selected.

In case the bed has several parts (mattress, frame etc) you might have to open it and ctrl+click on each part.

In simulation, you should have start from memorized pose OFF and only animate current frame.

• Red Heart

R1k0

Sep 27, 2017
I used this, just raised the blanket over the figure, pressed simulation and the blanket went down

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
I used this, just raised the blanket over the figure, pressed simulation and the blanket went down

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Is it what you expected?
Very nice render. You can improve it little bit adding smotth modifier to mattress (collide against g8f), but event now looks very good.

Reactions: R1k0

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022

View attachment 3428643

I found this tutorial (Creating and Draping a Blanket Over a Figure) on the Daz3D forum, I won't put a link because it's my first post and I don't know for sure if I can do this, but in the tutorial he presses Simulate and the magic happens, however It wasn't like that with me, the blanket always goes to the floor and goes through anything I put between it.

View attachment 3428647

Taking advantage of the moment, I believe that if I add D-Force to the mattress and pillow and change the gravity upwards, both would shape the character's body, this is possible, if someone could explain to me how I would be very grateful.
That bed works great, right out of the box. If it went to the floor then you either had the mattress and frame not visible to simulation (which is NOT the default) or you played with the Dforce settings manually.

Here's my test just now.

Where the visible to simulation setting is...

UDB_visible_off.jpg

What happens when you turn that off...

UDB_fail.jpg

If you just leave everything default...

UDB_success.jpg

As for making the mattress Dforce as well, it's a lot harder than those tutorials make it seem. I would suggest practicing on simple primitives before trying to modify a fully functional Dforce asset like these beds.

Also, the mattress in both UDB kits has very few subdivisions. What I do, is I use Meshgrabber to deform the mattress (large polygons) and then I use a sheet (Blanket or another duvet even) and lay that between the character and the mattress. It has a lot more polygons, so you can easily morph it with Meshgrabber to simulate a character sinking in.

It's all smoke and mirrors because you don't really need the mattress to be that complex... not when you can use an existing Dforce blanket above it.

Finally, one tip about the UDB I noticed. Often the duvet will clip a bit with the mattess, so that you see small patches of the mattress material in the duvet. You can try playing with the smoothing modifier... or ... easier to just raise the duvet up 0.1 or 0.2 on the Y axis and ... Voila!

• Red Heart
Reactions: iDuckDuck and Jumbi

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Finally, one tip about the UDB I noticed. Often the duvet will clip a bit with the mattess, so that you see small patches of the mattress material in the duvet. You can try playing with the smoothing modifier... or ... easier to just raise the duvet up 0.1 or 0.2 on the Y axis and ... Voila!
On this note, it's also worth mentioning that one of the morphs included with the Ultimate DForce Bed is especially indicated to fix those patches you mention that usually appear after the simulation.

• Red Heart

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Also, the mattress in both UDB kits has very few subdivisions. What I do, is I use Meshgrabber to deform the mattress (large polygons) and then I use a sheet (Blanket or another duvet even) and lay that between the character and the mattress. It has a lot more polygons, so you can easily morph it with Meshgrabber to simulate a character sinking in.
A simpler way to the same end would be (my opinion) to put the sheet/blanket on the bed, raise it up a bit, and put a smoothing modifier on it. It only works with one character though.

• Red Heart

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
A simpler way to the same end would be (my opinion) to put the sheet/blanket on the bed, raise it up a bit, and put a smoothing modifier on it. It only works with one character though.
Ya. Like most things in DAZ, there's usually several ways to do things.

For example, if you missed a few spots where the mattress clipped through and only noticed it when doing Post work... no need to re-render or even spot-render. Just fill them with Photoshops Content Aware setting. Literally takes 10 seconds.

• Red Heart

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Ya. Like most things in DAZ, there's usually several ways to do things.

For example, if you missed a few spots where the mattress clipped through and only noticed it when doing Post work... no need to re-render or even spot-render. Just fill them with Photoshops Content Aware setting. Literally takes 10 seconds.
My work around for this is to simulate like normal and then shrink the matrass or move it out of the way. this allows me to simulate the matrass being depressed from weight being applied. (far from perfect but better than a wooden board.) end_Ava-23.png