Has it ever happened where a dev abandoned a game and was completed by another person?

MightGuy2024

Mar 23, 2024
So there's a game that I really liked and I think it might be abandoned. I just want some reassurance since I really want to know if that ever happened before? A dev that abandoned their own game but another person swoop in to either complete the game or make a game similar enough as a tribute for the game that was abandoned.

Savor

Jan 30, 2018
the only thing i remember was a dude to say he's going to continue a game of another dev.
but it never happened and i know of no case this ever happened.

Reactions: MightGuy2024

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I guess technically it happened with Big Brother? I think there was a mod that "completed" the story. And there's several hundred remakes of the thing. So it's not impossible. I wouldn't count on it, though.

Savor

Jan 30, 2018
found it Sophie.
developed by BigTasty later TastyGames.
but maybe original author under another name even if he claims otherwise but dunno.

edit:
but yeah still like i said, never released anything

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
extremely rarely if ever. mostly the people who abandon just disappear, so it's always a huge obstacle to even contact them to get permission (to avoid being possibly sued).

slightly more common are the fan games, but they're never the same and invariably misunderstand what made the original special.

and 9/10 the person who says they'll pick up some abandoned game will never be seen again.

Crell

Aug 6, 2017
extremely rarely if ever. mostly the people who abandon just disappear, so it's always a huge obstacle to even contact them to get permission (to avoid being possibly sued).

slightly more common are the fan games, but they're never the same and invariably misunderstand what made the original special.

and 9/10 the person who says they'll pick up some abandoned game will never be seen again.
You're forgetting the abandoned games that get picked up and made better than the original. Girl Life, FC Pregmod, Jack o Nine Tails etc come to mind.

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020

Then there's the dev who first promises to complete or remake an abandoned game, then drops it to make their own game for whatever reason. Example. Probably a good idea with copyright in mind.

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
Another dev should somehow get source code and 3d models used in original game. Its possible only if original dev shared his assets.

Most of the time its easier to make new game from scratch, than continue someone else's work.

There was a situation where a game was abandoned and then shared between two teams of developers. They made two similar games with same origin: Research into Corruption and Sweet affection.

MightGuy2024

Mar 23, 2024

that's the most realistic answer. I guess I'm hoping for someone to swoop in for The forgotten royales of Astella.

MightGuy2024

Mar 23, 2024
I guess technically it happened with Big Brother? I think there was a mod that "completed" the story. And there's several hundred remakes of the thing. So it's not impossible. I wouldn't count on it, though.
I can either move on or do it myself. I have zero, literally zero experience with animation and games like this

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Hardly ever. I can't think of one.

The pile of Big Brother games is a testament to this.

When someone decides to pick up an abandoned game to try to dev it themselves, it's usually because they like a specific character or route.

But they can never replicate the original so they eventually give up when they realize it's a lot of work.

MightGuy2024

Mar 23, 2024
Hardly ever. I can't think of one.

The pile of Big Brother games is a testament to this.

When someone decides to pick up an abandoned game to try to dev it themselves, it's usually because they like a specific character or route.

But they can never replicate the original so they eventually give up when they realize it's a lot of work.
What if i want to do it myself

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Wasn't really abandoned, but apparently [Redacted] was finished by one of his fellow devs, because its original dev Westy got thrown in jail by the Australians. :unsure:

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
What if i want to do it myself
it's a LOT of work, so much more than you'd believe. but if you wanna give it a go, don't waste all that work on someone else's game. make your own, a better version of whatever you liked about the abandoned game.

but it can't be stressed enough how exhausting it becomes. it's just one of those things you can't understand until you've doing it for months. something like writing books is so much easier, spitting out a crappy book (the level of your VN story) is like about one month of making a game.

but it is super easy to start. and it is also a lot of fun seeing your weirdo ideas coming alive on screen.

MightGuy2024

Mar 23, 2024
it's a LOT of work, so much more than you'd believe. but if you wanna give it a go, don't waste all that work on someone else's game. make your own, a better version of whatever you liked about the abandoned game.

but it can't be stressed enough how exhausting it becomes. it's just one of those things you can't understand until you've doing it for months. something like writing books is so much easier, spitting out a crappy book (the level of your VN story) is like about one month of making a game.

but it is super easy to start. and it is also a lot of fun seeing your weirdo ideas coming alive on screen.
I know it is. That's not the thing that bothers but more so the lack of information. The project that I have in mind is forgotten royales of astella. I don't know what they are using to do the animation. How did they integrate the 2d style gameplay

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I know it is. That's not the thing that bothers but more so the lack of information. The project that I have in mind is forgotten royales of astella. I don't know what they are using to do the animation. How did they integrate the 2d style gameplay
The game is made with RPGMaker MV, and the characters were made in Daz 3D.

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
Only one I can think of is when Wootch stopped making Urban X Life, Nergal picked it up and made Urban Demons.

That one was double surprising, since IMO Urban Demons turned out better than what the original game was shaping up to be. Glassfish's art was better than the characters in the original. Even though some were not satisfied with how UD turned out, it's still one of my favourite RPGM games.