waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
@Runey @TheDevian TLDW? Well basically it's about how the mediums you use affect the business model and how said business model affect core game design. It's an important video, it shows how the stuff we love can be corrupted and twisted if we as a consumer or a developer do not care. You don't need to watch it all in one go, watch 10-15 minutes at a time, take a week to see it for all I care and when you are done you can tell me what you learned :)

Afterwards you will probably know why it wasn't a bad idea to see it, just like math, you don't want to learn it, but afterwards there's all this cool stuff you can do with it ;)

hp3012

Aug 25, 2017
Can you explain that again? I don't understand.

Maybe try using the trustory code
For me, I get the dialogue of Lucy asking Kali to join, she agrees, then "TODO" appears. Kicks me out of the conversation afterwards. Truestory is applied as I have gotten the threesome (story-wise) before, but can't ask for it again.
screenshot0001.png

Reactions: Sheknowsaboutyou

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
For me, I get the dialogue of Lucy asking Kali to join, she agrees, then "TODO" appears. Kicks me out of the conversation afterwards. Truestory is applied as I have gotten the threesome (story-wise) before, but can't ask for it again.
View attachment 243365
Have you gone through the scene once? If you have, then it's normal behaviour that when you talk to Lucy again and ask, that nothing happens, it's as stated 'TODO', so it haven't been implemented yet!

Reactions: TheDevian and Runey

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
At this point I just feel tortured. Feels like everyone already played everything and I‘m one of the very few who are holding out. I‘m actually surprised I managed to avoid most spoilers...
I'm waiting for the proper release too. I downloaded the beta to check out one scene so I could provide suggestions (it's a little annoying that I didn't really get a reply to my suggestion), once I'd seen that scene I deleted it and went back to 0.5.3 (although I've done pretty much everything there is to do, so I'm mainly playing other games while I wait).

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I guess I have gotten lucky so far as I haven‘t had any bugs... atleast not that I can think of. You beta testers are doing great work.

At this point I just feel tortured. Feels like everyone already played everything and I‘m one of the very few who are holding out. I‘m actually surprised I managed to avoid most spoilers...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I managed to resist for a day or two, but no longer.
@Runey @TheDevian TLDW? Well basically it's about how the mediums you use affect the business model and how said business model affect core game design. It's an important video, it shows how the stuff we love can be corrupted and twisted if we as a consumer or a developer do not care. You don't need to watch it all in one go, watch 10-15 minutes at a time, take a week to see it for all I care and when you are done you can tell me what you learned :)

Afterwards you will probably know why it wasn't a bad idea to see it, just like math, you don't want to learn it, but afterwards there's all this cool stuff you can do with it ;)
I just had a problem with him dogging on older TV shows, because honestly, while some might have improved with the writers actually knowing a bit about the topic (especially if you compare to the 70's and earlier), but writing as a whole has become so devalued since the 90's, that's its beyond insane. The Real World ruined TV. ;):p

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
I just had a problem with him dogging on older TV shows, because honestly, while some might have improved with the writers actually knowing a bit about the topic (especially if you compare to the 70's and earlier), but writing as a whole has become so devalued since the 90's, that's its beyond insane. The Real World ruined TV. ;):p
That's perfectly fine to feel that, his words are not law and he is not a divine being ;) Do you mean writing as in books, because writing has become soo much better than the 90's, though I think comedies from the 60's-80's are the funniest. And no I'm not THAT old :p

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
That's perfectly fine to feel that, his words are not law and he is not a divine being ;) Do you mean writing as in books, because writing has become soo much better than the 90's, though I think comedies from the 60's-80's are the funniest. And no I'm not THAT old :p
No, mainly I am talking TV, though most books I see now days don't hold a candle to the ones I used to read (Compare Anne Rice to those Sparkle Vamps or 50 Shades of Gray, a real book, vs. something someone wrote on their phone on a bus), with a few exceptions (there are exceptions to prove every rule). I mean, there are good shows today too, but not as many by volume. Part of it is an over-saturation I suppose, there is so much garbage, that good things are hard to find. He was talking up crime dramas, for example, but how many do we need? There are like a dozen just CSI shows, never mind the other clones.

What can I say, us old people always like stuff better from the old days! :LOL:

Reactions: waffel

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
No, mainly I am talking TV, though most books I see now days don't hold a candle to the ones I used to read (Compare Anne Rice to those Sparkle Vamps or 50 Shades of Gray, a real book, vs. something someone wrote on their phone on a bus), with a few exceptions (there are exceptions to prove every rule). I mean, there are good shows today too, but not as many by volume. Part of it is an over-saturation I suppose, there is so much garbage, that good things are hard to find. He was talking up crime dramas, for example, but how many do we need? There are like a dozen just CSI shows, never mind the other clones.

What can I say, us old people always like stuff better from the old days! :LOL:
And now comes the examination, do you now know why development of Bloody VN's have exploded after Patreon arrived? :p

Reactions: TheDevian

Nerra

Apr 13, 2018
No

No you don't.
I was being a bit facetious with my post. Sorry if you missed that....
It's very presumptuous of you to tell me what I do and do not like about this game since you don't know jack shit about me.

I would like the girls to use the Hot Spring more, and I would like the MC to take off those ugly gray pants before having sex.

My point is that the 'complaints' I have with this game are very minor, and all in all, Harem Hotel is one of the best games on this site.

It has very good writing with no immersion breaking spelling errors or mangled grammar, and excellently rendered Honey Select characters covering all different body types from petite to voluptuous.

geemergary

Aug 12, 2017
I have not played any of the betas either. In part to avoid spoilers, but in large part because my life has been chaos recently. I did just join Runey's Patreon though, so I'm very much looking forward to the Patreon release.

I only have 2 complaints about this game.
1. I would like it if the girls would use the Hot Spring more.
2. I wish the MC would take off his pants when he bangs one of his girls.
Honestly, at this point I find the fact that MC never removes his pants and shirt to be so funny and endearing that I would be alarmed if he ever removed them.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
And now comes the examination, do you now know why development of Bloody VN's have exploded after Patreon arrived? :p
Well, if we wanted to get technical about it, we could say a combination of a number of factors from the declining AAA industry, the increase in the availability of free software, and lack of jobs, but the simple answer is that sex sells. ;)

Reactions: Master of Puppets

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
I managed to resist for a day or two, but no longer.
The patch notes, and the download, are all right here >

Currently, it's for $20 patrons, but in 3 days, the $5 build comes out.
I have not played any of the betas either. In part to avoid spoilers, but in large part because my life has been chaos recently. I did just join Runey's Patreon though, so I'm very much looking forward to the Patreon release.
I'm seriously debating if I should scrape $5 together now... Just because @TheDevian is tempting me with what could be a serious contender for best side character...

Reactions: Runey and TheDevian

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
I don't usually post in game threads, however I do admire Runey's dedication to an awesome game and also to the F95 community. As a creator of 3D art myself, I always want artists to perform to the maximum of their capabilities. I really do love Harem Hotel and want to see it as a complete and well rounded game. I do not however wish to see it extend past its life, via the creation of additional characters that don't really add much to the composition as a whole.

To provide some perspective, Solovalley Highschool has introduced so many characters, I can't remember who the characters are. On the other side, Pick Cafe has learnt from what he produced in Acting Lessons and looks to be doing an even better in "Being a DIK".

Runey, you are a talented artist and more importantly a great story teller, I want to see what you are capable of next. Please finish the awesome game you are working on, however don't drag it out. As soon as you start loosing the passion, make the switch to the next project.

PS: For all the haters out there, Ashley is my favourite character. Nuts / Crazy / Insecure and totally adorable.

Mar 21, 2018

I watched the video and wasn't impressed. I'm not sure where all the hype is coming from. That's one hour I'm not getting back. And yes, I did understand what he was saying. He makes a few minor points worth mentioning but rambles on about them for way too long. :(

Reactions: TheDevian
4.70 star(s) 442 Votes