Haaaelp! Renpy/Python gurus, I'm trying to figure something out.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hey guys!

I'll be the first to admit that Python doesn't come naturally to me, and while I have a more than basic grasp of RenPy, sometimes I get stumped...

So, I've been attempting to update the interface for Mr. Dots Dating My Daughter 11, but I also plan to use the 'base 10' system for saving/loading in my own game when the time comes.

This is a Significant modification of Mr. Dot's original layout, placing the added variables inside icons which overlay the save slot screenshot, to help players get a more pleasant looking 'baseline' r.e. where they were in that save. Oh and including the day as a variable icon too, rather than having to type that in manually.

Here's where I'm at currently:

More info on the mod here:

I need to figure out a 'check for empty save slot' check so that the icons don't appear if the slot is empty, but that's not my main problem.

I've managed to add a feature where you can edit the save game description text 'in real time', but when you hit the check box, the changes revert to the original text. I have a 're-write info' function associated with the save, but apparently the updated info isn't taking...

Note that this interface has 200 pages of save slots, which you can quickly access using the slider on the left, as well as the single (advance 10 pages) and double (advance 20 pages) arrows. I doubt anyone would use 2000 saves, but at least you can organize things pretty easily if you want to (i.e. Elena focused saves start on page 40, Georgina focused saves start on page 80, etc.). The other goal where was to make the 'old saves' that were abandoned by the .11 DMD interface available again, without having to edit the save names manually.

Notice the blue text in the second slot. This is the 'edited text' that disappears as soon as I leave the page or hit the check box. I can edit multiple boxes, but the second I leave the page or hit the check box, they all go away.

Mr. Dots has deviated from the 'save/load' variable format a bit, so this makes this a more interesting challenge. For example, I'd have done the 'tuple/comma' thing to add the corruption, love, etc. points to the save game info strng, but he's using a unique pair of characters as separators instead. Because I'm keeping auto/quicksaves, his method of assigning game descriptions can result in errors, hence my looking for a workaround. Plus there was a request to not have to 'deal' with the save game description popup if you didn't want to, so I like the idea of editing the save info at your option at any point after the save has been assigned to a save slot.

Does anyone here have a fair amount of Python/RenPY experience that wouldn't mind helping me figure out how to 'wrap this up, and 'taking a peek' at my 'Frankenstein-ed' code?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so I've sorta kinda solved this, but I still want to have a 'hit checkbox to make change' option for this mod. If anyone who is well versed in RenPy/Python wouldn't mind taking a look at where I'm at right now (screens.rpy), and help me implement the 'click to save to save a new savegame description' checkbox (commented out non-working code/starting point at line 251, screens.rpy), I'd appreciate the help!

Attachment here:

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Being that some choices in the game have consequences later on I agree that saves are valuable.
but as you said regarding attached screenshot to give you some indication of where what when
the player may not know when he or she SHOULD be saving, and the image may not jog memory

Rather than modifying the existing save system, what do you think about modding what you've done to be structured as a separate page 2 "critical saves menu" for replay purposes. Not random saves made by the player, but truly necessary point in time saves, that correspond to route 1, route 2, route 3...

Say a player is taking the daughter route, and wants to max Allie points. They could continue using the random saves as they have always done. Without altering their personal saves. They could switch to page two, and pick up at the beginning of the Georgina story, and see what they missed in their first play through. Then choose the Elena route from your saves menu, save file that has max Elena preconfigured. not random or luck based saves... pro saves with description. linear Elena path, linear girl with the huge head path, etc.