Completed Guide/Review: One of the best adult games ever, a must play! (Developers, take notes. THIS is how you design a game)

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Recently at night I started this little hidden gem, the remake version: https://f95zone.to/threads/a-boy-and-his-perverted-oneesans-happy-h-apartment-life-aomizuan.2511/

In the first 5-10 minutes I was close to shutting the game and look for something else, because the very old-fashioned RPG maker overlay with low res text made me a bit skeptical about the quality of the game. But knowing that first impressions can be deceiving, I kept playing another 10 minutes so I could get into the actual "game", which is when you definitely don't want to stop playing anymore at all - holy shit!

So, what makes this game so good? I will talk about pure game design choices here, not so much about the genre, since tastes are different. I have by the way a background in the creative industry, not game design per se, but very closely related, and have over 12 years of experience in the creative / design industry under my hood in various disciplines - just in case anyone of you is curious about my expertise that flows into this guide/review, which is of course still a subjective matter.

Sound Design

It's the little things! Well, not so little, since this game is fully dubbed by japanese women with enjoyable voices. I don't understand japanese but it still adds so much life to the game. I am aware that a full dub would be expensive for most devs, so let me highlight the actual little things: It's the ringing of the phone, the sound of getting your clothes off, the water from the sink, someone ringing the doorbell, or, ambience that adds to the entire vibe of the game like the almost-a-bit-scary sounding chirping of crickets every afternoon during the beautiful golden hour. They sound somewhat surreal but it just gives this beautiful special vibe and strong theme. There was even a scene where the girls left my apartment chatting, and after they left my room, I could still hear them talking while gradually getting quieter until they eventually were too far away to be heard anymore. Every day you'll visit school for a short period of time that always starts with that big-ben bell.

As an RPG maker game it needs to make up through other elements, which sound is an important part of. Together with that old fashioned look, the vivid sound design really creates a strong and memorable "theme" and atmosphere, which feels even a bit cozy.

Sex scenes also have sound effects, whether that's a handjob, sucking a dick, the slapping of the hip thrusts or cumming. But these sounds are choosen well and they sound all nice and are well balanced in terms of loudness.

Some developers really lack a sense for good sound design and include sounds that rather drag down the experience. But most often, sound is overlooked, even though it plays an important role for the overall experience.

Atmosphere

Whether it's a day where you hear thunder and rain, and the whole map /pictures look dark-grey, a hot summer day drowning in yellow and orange colors or the night with the damped colors and, again, chirping crickets: This game plays a lot with weather "themes". Also there are other lovely details like, if you wake up in the morning and leave your apartment, you will first be flashed by the bright light until your eyes adjust to the day. That's a minor details but makes the experience feel so "real". When school is over and it's covered in the orange sunlight (golden hour) and you can see the sky in the back with its vivid purple colours.. man! That's cozy as fuck.

I also remember a moment where I stood in front of the house under the roof in heavy rain with two girls, and the rain would get louder after we stepped out into the rain. This also counts for the sound design point, but it added much to the atmosphere. Also, the h-scene that followed was underlaid with a beautiful piece of piano music. Music is generally a thing that many adult game devs seem to overlook. Here, together with the rain ambience and that hot H-scene, the atmosphere carries you right into heaven. You'll wish that moment was real and that you could let yourself just fall into the soft arms and boobs of those two girls.

Gameplay

Most importantly: This game does respect your time! No 10-20 times walking to a super market and buying stuff just for the sake of keeping you busy. No 0/100 affection that you need to level up for 30 girls. No special events that only take place during the 25th of every 4th month, and only during half-moon when your dog isn't in the yard. And yes, you don't need a guide. I can't stress this enough: Good games are entirely enjoyable without guides. Everything should come to the player in game naturally. The moment your players has to constantly switch back and forth between a PDF, you messed up.

This game even comes out without any hint system. That's because the "world" is fairly small, it's only the building you live in with 6 different apartments (4 where the girls live, yours and the share bathroom), the spot before the house and your school, which you will only visit through pictures. But that's another great plus: This game shows that you don't need an open world and 50+ maps if you don't have enough stuff to fill it with. Open worlds should only be built if the game really needs it. Most adult games that have it don't really require it.

It's quality over quantity. The house this game takes place in, together with the atmosphere and music, has more meaningful moments that I will remember in a year than most other open world adult games. Instead of trying to create as much space as possible, the focus should be on making the space that's actually required as memorable and beautiful as possible. And this game shows once more, that creativity arises from limitation.

H-Scenes

Another point this game absolutely shines at. 90% of todays adult games make you see the same stuff over and over again. With each girl it follows the standard formula: Touch, touch more, handjob, blowjob, thighjob, buttjob, grinding, then finally sex. You do that with 5 different girls and suddenly you have experienced 50 sex scenes without having seen anything new.

Not here! The game starts with sex right from the beginning. And don't you dare to believe that would take the tension away, no, not at all! Because the devs do what every adult game designer out there should be doing: They actually get creative. No matter if it's two girls coming into your bathroom in the morning to help you to get rid off your morning wood, get down on the floor in front of you, spread their legs and let you jerk off to the view, before one of them suddenly takes your dick in her mouth before you cum, or if you passed out tired on your floor and wake up to one girl sitting on your face and the other on your dick while both are watching TV for hours.

I would like to describe so many scenes more but that would only rob you from the pleasure of experiencing them on your own, so just let me say this: There are tons of H-Scenes, and they happen everywhere during all possible daily situations. Almost none is like the other and you'll see stuff that you probably haven't seen in other games yet (and if you did, probably not THIS good).

The pacing of the H-scenes is another huge plus. Never will the game blueball you, and never will you have to wait 20 minutes to see another disappointing scene. No, it slaps high quality scene after scene into your face. And even if it starts small with a handjob, where other games would blueball you and you'll have to wait another 20 minutes for a little oral scene, this game doesn't let you down: The girls act like real girls would act. They don't just get wet and do little things, they almost everytime actually finish with sex, as a real person would do. And this is so highly satisfying given the variety of scenes.

Also, the MC cums a lot. Sex scenes rarely end with the first cum, which is hot as fuck. This keeps up the tension and the pacing of the game. It makes scenes unpredictable. In other games you'll always yawn when you know that the current scene will in fact end after the HJ and a cum. This game however keeps your excitement up, because you don't know what's coming next.

Dialogues

Most often dialogues aren't that interesting and at some point you'll want to skip them. Not only because the next h-scene might be still 5000 lines of text away, but also because the content is just absolutely dull. This game doesn't win an oscar in terms of the story, and the writing isn't in particular "important", but it's damn good! It's one of the few games where reading the dialouges makes everything even a bit hotter, because the girls say hot things. Also the descriptions of the MC are enjoyable, because he isn't an idiot who says weird things, he doesn't try to be cool or charming. It's rather little details like describing that her voice and warm breath is so close to his ear, that it sends shivers down his skin.

Apart from sex scenes the characters won't bore you to death with tons of text about their highschool life, their favorite food, their childhood or other nonsense that most games throw at you. It's the perfect amount of text that keeps you engaged and reading, with a bit of background information or learning something new about the girls, without coming into your way to the next h-scene. But mostly it's straight forward to the current situation and present time. Not 20 flashbacks and irrelevant side-stuff you have to torture yourself through.

Summary

This game creates a high immersion through sound effects like your phone vibrating, the doorbell, the distance between a sound source and the MC (rain that becomes louder when you step into it) and also nice piano music in the right scenes. The atmosphere of the places is wonderful since you get to experience the golden hour a lot (which is when the sun goes down), and also rainy days or night-times. The world is fun because it puts quality over quantity, you don't get to explore much, but you can enjoy how creative a developer can get with fewer locations and what you could possibly all do in only those.

The pacing of the H-scenes if fantastic and never lets you down, and due to the quick pacing you can enjoy dialogues fully without being afraid that if you don't skip, it would take an eternity to see the next H-scene. H-scenes are absolutely creatively executed, you won't see any scene twice. Instead of creating the illusion of variety by forcing you through the same 10-part-progression with every girl, it really takes on the brave challenge to set the bar really high, by starting with sex right away, so that the following sex scenes need to be really creative to keep you excited - a goal this game definitely achieves brilliantly. Also sex scenes don't end after you cum, nor do they end after someone just gave you a little handjob (mostly). You'll get real action each time. Don't shy away from this, developers!

The art is wonderful, and the fact that they drew the complete backgrounds for the H-scenes as if you actually were in those apartments, adds up to the experience of making that place come alive. Because rather than in other games where you just have sex over the plain RPGM map or in locations that don't quite look like the place the characters are in that moment, here the artist did really spend a lot of attention to the details.

Here's an example:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The special advantage that RPGM games have over VN's - which obviously have everything drawn out -, is that the combination of freely moving around in the world topdown, and then seeing it fully drawn out during sex scenes, creates a higher level of immersion. It's a "multi-dimensional" experience, rather than just looking at pictures all the time.

Of course, there are still things that could be improved. But as a blueprint of a game, this one here is a treasure to learn a lot from. It shows how you can create absolutely hot scenes, deep levels of immersion and wonderful atmosphere with limited options. Sound, colors, good writing, good pacing, atmosphere, exciting scenes.. that's really all most people are asking for in adult games.

If you're just a player, go download this game immediately! And play it with headphones, preferably at dark, highly recommended.

If you're a game dev or aspiring game dev, I hope my personal perspective and highlights on the subject helped to get some ideas going. (Also, go play this game!)

Last edited:

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
I literally wasted my time to see what's going on there, after 10 minutes mc raped by a female.
Classic japan rpgm game, nothing more, nothing less.
It's far from a classic rpgm game, the production quality is much higher. Also it's not rape since the MC enjoys and wants it, it's more about the girls initiating lewd things by themselves. Regarding that you don't like that genre:

I will talk about pure game design choices here, not so much about the genre, since tastes are different.

• Angry
Reactions: Emobaba31

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Sound design =/= sound design. There are differences. Just because another game has a sound for the MC walking up the stairs, it doesn't mean it's sound wise as good as this one. This one here has another level of detail depth.

And many games, japanese games included, fall short on a lot of the points I explained in my OP. I can understand that you don't like this genre and played the game only 10 minutes, but it still is a great "skeleton" as showcase for good game design.

That includes all the points from the OP, including atmosphere, pacing, progression, content and variety of the H-scenes, guide-free gameplay and so on.

And yes, this game looks unimposing on the first look. That's why I was so impressed when I saw it unfold later in the game.

Really good artists only need a paper and a pen and they will draw something that's more impressive than others could draw even with gear for several thousand bucks.

It's the same with this game. The creators only used basic tools, but managed to create a little masterpiece. What's also great, what many games don't do, is that they drew the complete interior and exterior backgrounds for the H-scenes, and they match exactly the spots the characters are at those moments.

Most RPGM games either do over-the-map sex scenes or some weird close up backgrounds. Here they really took their time to create the entire rooms, the building, the yard and so on. And each time a H-scene comes and you're dragged into that scene with the detailed drawings, it feels as if you could step into the little RPGM world and see it from within.

You can dislike the game, I am fine with that - but saying it's a generic japanese RPGM doesn't do it justice.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
But the sex scenes are represented with only 2-3 images. It's not really a "lesson" for the devs, at least not a positive one.
I never claimed that this is about animation. It's about game design, you seem to confuse quite a few things.

And I never said I don't like that genre either.
A game with good "pacing" but there's rape sex in the game after 10 minutes
Thought so, it's not your genre. Let's move on :)

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Then explain why you constantly throw in "but there is rape sex" or "I played 10 minutes only to get raped after 10 mins".

Apparently you don't enjoy the "reverse-rape" genre. Do you confuse genre with game engine? RPGM isn't a genre, it's an engine. You can create games of various genres with it.

• Angry
Reactions: Emobaba31

obibobi

May 10, 2017
Then explain why you constantly throw in "but there is rape sex" or "I played 10 minutes only to get raped after 10 mins".

Apparently you don't enjoy the "reverse-rape" genre. Do you confuse genre with game engine? RPGM isn't a genre, it's an engine. You can create games of various genres with it.
I could assume he means the lack of build up, I mean if you go straight to the raping, there's no teasing, corruption, no fall.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
I could assume he means the lack of build up, I mean if you go straight to the raping, there's no teasing, corruption, no fall.
I'm pretty sure he disliked the reverse-rape genre. Regardig the teasing/corruption, that happens more on the MC side. He wants to become a priest after finishing college (because his father requires him to do so) and tries to resist his horny thoughts but gives in more and more since the girls keep jumping on him on any opportunity.

But there is a huge build up in the game actually. That's why I mentioned it in the OP, usually when you start with sex right away, you set the bar really high. Because you need to become really creative to top the beginning you already started that high. Instead of keeping the player busy by throwing little scenes into his way for the first 10 hours, you now have to deliver more and more really good scenes to keep it entertaining. And the game delivers on that very well.

That's where a lot of modern games lack. You play 50 hours and all you've seen is the same handjob, blowjob, assjob, titjob, basic sex progression on 10 different girls. And it's just often not very exciting anymore to go through this entire process with each other girl when you're 20 hours into the game and already experienced sex.

So this game takes the pacing to another level and shows how creative sex scenes look like continously. Everyone can tease for 10 hours and then deliver only 2-3 vanilla sex scenes. But making 20, 30+ sex scenes that are all still exciting, that's an art in itself.

Last edited:

Wlms

Apr 17, 2021
Rape, reverse or "regular", nah, thank you.

Plus I don't like the art-style of the faces.

So, one of the best adult games out there for you. I'm not even gonna download it, the front page alone is enough to irk me.

Wlms

Apr 17, 2021
Whaaaaaat? But the galactic emperor told me I could speak for everyone on earth!

Brb, have to file a complaint.

Why are you so vindicative ?
You like that game, cool for you, and that's nice, just accept that your perspective might not be the same for everyone

One of the best adult games ever, a must play! (Developers, take notes. THIS is how you design a game)
Well, maybe you should accept that people may disagree with that... Let's say bold statement.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Why are you so vindicative ?
You like that game, cool for you, and that's nice, just accept that your perspective might not be the same for everyone
Well, maybe you should accept that people may disagree with that... Let's say bold statement.
I don't have any problem with people having different opinions, as stated on page 1. You seem to like to create artificial drama for no reason:

You can dislike the game, I am fine with that
I also didn't quote you on your opinion that you dislike the genre. I quoted you on the claim that I'd intent to speak for everyone and not just share my personal opinion.

This is a forum, every opinion you read here is subjective. Nobody can speak for everyone else, and we shouldn't need to finish every thread title with "(according to me)" for people to get that.

I still gave two hints in the OP, that it's my personal opinion, especially for people like you who easily get hurt over opinions they don't share - yet even that was not enough for you to understand something, that should've been taken for granted even without specifically mentioning it twice.

Last edited:

Wlms

Apr 17, 2021
I don't have any problem with people having different opinions, as stated on page 1. You seem to like to create artificial drama for no reason:

I also didn't quote you on your opinion that you dislike the genre. I quoted you on the claim that I'd intent to speak for everyone and not just share my personal opinion.

This is a forum, every opinion you read here is subjective. Nobody can speak for everyone and we don't need to end every thread title with "(according to me)".

Still I gave two hints in the OP that it's my personal opinion, especially for people like you who easily get hurt over opinions they don't share - yet even that was not enough for you to understand something, that should've been taken for granted even without specifically mentioning it twice.
I'm not hurt over anything mate. In the end, that conversation won't change anything in my day.
Again, no need to be so vindicative. Enjoy your weekend.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
I'm not hurt over anything mate. In the end, that conversation won't change anything in my day.
Again, no need to be so vindicative. Enjoy your weekend.
You confuse basic communication with being vindicative.

I talked about different subjects, such as whether most games have this level of sound design or not, or the variety of sex scenes. That's what I made the thread for, to discuss game design and how this game handles different aspects.

Enjoy your weekend too. (y)

Last edited:

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Updated example Screenshots to the OP. I (desperately) tried to find another japanese RPGM game with this production quality in the past weeks but I couldn't. All of them either have sex over the RPGM map, which looks cheap, or some unrelated backgrounds to the actual place the characters are in. Also, if games aren't animated, they most often don't put in any effort to at least create the illusion of motion.

This game here has several different "stages" of still pictures, that come with lines that imply motion and sound design that makes it almost as believable, that when you shut the game down and think back, it feels like you've seen animations.

That's a really great way to get more out of still images (which I usually don't like, I prefer animated games). This is the first game ever that I play amongst probably 100+ from this site by now, that does such a fantastic job with static images.

Here you can see how the room from the map is being drawn carefully in the sex scene. That's what I meant in the OP with that you almost feel like you could walk into this little world.

The bed with the correct colors, the material of the walls and the floor, it's all there. This makes the sex scenes feel like they take place in the actual location and are not just sex scenes completely detached from the game.

ScreenShot_2024_0210_14_45_33.png

ScreenShot_2024_0210_14_48_55.png