• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Grey or Black screen in some Unity Games

Bigguy82

Oct 4, 2020
So, as the title says, when I launch certain games that use Unity, they will load the splash screen fine and then it will load to the main menu which I'm able to see for a split second before it goes to a blank screen, typically black or grey. I'm still able to press buttons on screen and this only effects the game itself, no other programs. It also doesn't seem to be affecting all Unity games, as this only happens to 3 out of 10 or so games. The games will also run in lower resolutions i.e. 720p instead of the native 1080p in full screen or lower than 900p windowed. It will run briefly in the max resolution when I restart my computer, but only for a few minutes or until I put my laptop into sleep mode. In one of the tested games, I could also see the screen regularly if I tab out and back in but only for a second.

This all started after my laptop crashed one night since before at least one game would work (I only found out about the other two when I was testing other Unity games). I've tried updating drivers for video cards, setting Windows to use my Nvidia card over integrated, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, messing with scaling options, running in compatibility mode, running as admin, turning off the firewall, deleting and reinstalling the game files itself, moving drives, and running scans for corrupted files on my computer.

If anyone has any idea of how to fix this, help would be appreciated. As I said, It worked before, every other game seems to work, even games that I know are way more demanding than the 3 broken ones work.

EDIT: So I managed to figure out that installing and running Unity fixed the overall issue. I guess stuff is missing or something, but seemingly solved.

Last edited: