VN Ren'Py Go try your hand at making visual novels

BiggestDickest

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
I wonder if there is something for opensource. I think i seen a VN on my Ubuntu game list. Have to check. I started a while back with Blender for some animations for Sims 4. Never finished though. :sleep:
Ok, so thats a dead end then.
Blender is also a rendering software. You can render in Eevee or Cycles, and it's just as good as Iray in Daz. The main difference is Daz already has many assets designed for characters. I think there is a game called Croft Adventures that uses Blender instead of Daz.

Laikhent

May 16, 2018
I downloaded the handbook for Blender. I think it seem great to all kind of things. Are there any developers that use Blender instead of DAZ?
p.s. i am a noob at the moment. So i need to learn.
There are but they are very rare. I heard that while it's relatively easy to transfer stuff from daz to blender, it's not so easy to transfer back from blender to Daz. So, ppl that like to modify their assets in blender might prefer to render directly in it.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
The main difference is Daz already has many assets designed for characters.
But more than that DAZ is also much more noob friendly. When it comes to adult stuff you will have access to several quality of life shortcuts that will save you a lot of time when it comes to creating sex scenes and related.
While with blender you will end up having to create and rig most of that stuff yourself, which probably is what severely cuts the number of people using blender as their main rendering tool in the first place.

Diagnosed

Game Developer
May 12, 2022
Just write your visual novel. Write it and IF you can write something you think is good then doing the rest probably wont be so hard. You can figure out the coding, use other peoples code as a template. Honey select is pretty intuitive and Daz isnt terrible. Animated scenes might be kind of a bitch but ultimately the writing seems like the primary bottleneck to me. These games have SO much dialogue.