Game Design Ramblings - Making anti-corruption choices viable - Gameplay

zeboftw

Mar 16, 2023
Introduction
Hello everyone, it's me again with another wall of text regarding corruption games. In my last post, I was not very clear as to what I meant to discuss and this lead to some misunderstanding for which I would like to apologize.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Without further ado, This time I would like to approach the problem in a more practical direction, not so abstract.

Problem Statement
Why do players pick corruption options? Because that is the way to obtain what they want.
Why do players not pick pure options? Because they have no reason to.

We can look at it from two perspectives: gameplay and narrative. Let's start with gameplay.

An universal problem
Corruption is a resource that you can gather.
The more you get, the more you can do stuff you enjoy.

If you get an OP sword in an RPG, but you don’t have the stats for it. What will you do? Continue on the main quest, or grind? We will almost always grind. The same happens with corruption. If you lock content behind “corruption points” the player will grind corruption points to unlock it.

This is fine if that is the goal of your game, the same way grind is accepted in JRPGs, but I feel that most games abuse this mechanic without actually realizing the implication.

Let’s look at Netoria Tactics Revolution Sure, you can play normally and do your best to avoid corruption, or you can always let the heroine be groped by the bulls to be sure you get the NTR route. If you came for the NTR, what would you do? If you've delved into design before, you've probably heard the phrase "Given a chance, players will optimize the fun out of games." This applies to adult games just as as much as it applies to any other type of game.

In those cases, we need to get rid of the grind. There are various ways we can approach this issue, but I think only one can be applied universally across the board. Still, let’s look at some of the more obvious solutions first.

Remove the corruption resource
Obviously, if you cannot gain corruption points and you do not need corruption points to unlock content, there is no need to grind for it. But I think we can agree that having a tangible progression indicator adds a lot to the game. Imagine playing RPGs without seeing your stats go up. It goes against the very reason we play those games.

Separate corruption points from narrative
While this solution would allow the narrative corruption to go at the right pace, it would only create more narrative dissonance. If one grinds so much corruption that they unlock sex attacks in battle, it would be very weird if their character were still pure and proper in the narrative.

Scale corruption logarithmically
So if we can’t get rid of it and we can’t separate it from the rest of the game, it’s clear we need to keep it. Well, one thing we could do is just make it very hard for the player to get too much corruption. If they get more corrupt than the story allows them to, make it harder to get corruption points. But to me, what that really means is that you’re making the grind more tedious, which might just make the player not enjoy your game.

Locking corruption away
So far we have thought about corruption points as being the resource that determines how corrupt you are. Why don’t we try to flip the relation around. The story determines how much corruption you can possibly get.

How do you do that?

Design lock -> You design the gameplay in such a way that you mathematically cannot get more corruption points than the story allows. This works well for CG hunter type games, time limited games, or in general, games where you cannot repeat actions that would give you corruption. But that is pretty limiting.

Hard lock -> Have the player simply lose if they acquire too much corruption. Such a solution can be applied to almost any genre, but it is also quite rough. Why should the player lose just by doing what they enjoy?

Soft lock -> Raise the difficulty the more the player strays from the expected corruption levels. This gives the player an organic reason to not get too much corruption without knowing there is an invisible artificially designed barrier.

What does this achieve?
Well, it makes the player not want to always choose corruption. That is a first important step towards making the player want to pick the pure option more often.

But so far we only took away the appeal of corruption. It kind of feels like we are punishing the player for enjoying corruption content. In reality what we should do is simply allow the player to play out the character the way they envision them. And if we want to give them a reason to pick something other than corruption, we also have to make the pure choices attractive. Now in gameplay, that is pretty simple.

So far, most games I’ve played always give you some sort of advantage if you pick the corrupt option. I understand this is meant to showcase the appeal of corruption, to give an explanation to the question “Why would a paragon of purity such as the heroine do something so corrupt?” but that only works when the one playing the heroine actually has something to lose by going against their morals.

The balance of Corruption vs Purity
For the heroine, the benefits of the corruption choice are equal to the ones from upholding her morals and ideals. This is what makes the choice so tempting, difficult and alluring for her, and exciting for us. But to the actual player, the scales are more like this: “If you pick the pure route, you miss out on content, but if you pick corruption, not only will you see the content you came here for, you also gain a gameplay advantage.”

In this case you might think “Okay, let’s move the gameplay benefits to the pure route.” Unfortunately, that is completely counter intuitive. It just leads to more narrative dissonance. If the heroine wants to remain pure AND she gains the advantage by doing so, why the hell would she pick the corruption option.

It’s obvious it is very hard to balance these two options. And this is the root of the problem, this one dimensional progression of corruption. I will talk more about this in a later post.

I initially wanted to discuss how to make the pure options more appealing in narrative choices as well, but I think I’ve already imposed too much on your time. Next week, I’ll continue this discussion with the narrative aspects of this conundrum. I’m eager to hear your thoughts on this idea and hopefully I’ve improved a little from my last post.

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
If you ask me I think you are trying to find an objective solution to a subjective issue.

Even if you find some kind of formula, at the end of the day it needs to be applied on a case by case basis by different developers for the games they are making.

In order to avoid making more of the same, variations to that formula will be attempted and ultimately it will just circle back to the original issue when some variations will not be good.

The whole point of these threads seem like a fruitless endeavor to me but I will humor you for the sake of conversation.

Why do players not pick pure options? Because they have no reason to.
This, I agree with. Normally in plenty of corruption games you do not have a good reason to pick the pure options.

Imagine playing RPGs without seeing your stats go up. It goes against the very reason we play those games.
I completely disagree with this though. And a good counter example would be Undertale. It is an RPG game and you can finish the game with 0 exp, no equipment and still at Lvl 1 and it does not impact the game experience at all. Some might even argue that it is a better experience.

Locking corruption away
I don't get what your point here is since most corruption rpg games I have played already do what you described in Design lock and Hard lock (absolutely hate this btw) and it does not change the fact that players are still getting as much corruption as they can.

What you described in soft lock sounds extremely dumb from a design perspective because then players are just going to do the same thing they are used to and then start complaining when the game gets too hard and not know why.

Well, it makes the player not want to always choose corruption.
I already mentioned this but it doesn't really change much since most games already have those mechanisms in place and still this thread exists :)

... you also gain a gameplay advantage.
You mentioned gameplay advantages in corruption paths multiple times and I have 0 clue what you are talking about since I have not played any game that made it feel that way.

The balance of Corruption vs Purity
If I were making a corruption game I would have 2 approaches to the issue:

Approach 1: Avoid the balance entirely
I mean seriously, does a corruption game even need a purity path or does a pure wholesome game need a corruption path?
Developers should pick and stick to one or the other. If they want to implement choices and branching paths to a corruption game it should be as flavours to the corruption.

Approach 2. A muddled balance helped by the narrative.

Basically make it so that the player doesn't know what each decision will lead to and not be able to decide which would be the best to make. Prevent the ability of the players to min-max on the spot.
If the choices only boil down to: watch scene and do not watch scene, then those are terribly designed choices.

Not the best example but something like this:
Choice A will give you a scene but also a boss fight and it will make it difficult later to pursue scenes with another character.

Choice B will not have a boss fight, it will make another character like you more and give you a different scene but somwhere down the line will come back to bite you like if the boss will return later and it is stronger.

It’s obvious it is very hard to balance these two options
And this would be a great point to end the debate since a single correct answer can not be reached IMO and it is up to each individual developer / designer / storyteller.

Buy hey don't let my opinion stop you from trying to continue.

Reactions: zeboftw

zeboftw

Mar 16, 2023
If you ask me I think you are trying to find an objective solution to a subjective issue.

Even if you find some kind of formula, at the end of the day it needs to be applied on a case by case basis by different developers for the games they are making.
I completely agree. I do not think my "soft lock" solution should be used by every developer for every game. What I hope to do with those posts is just some guidelines as to what works and what doesn't. In fact, I hope people do find flaws in my ideas. That way we would find a different, better solution.

What you described in soft lock sounds extremely dumb from a design perspective because then players are just going to do the same thing they are used to and then start complaining when the game gets too hard and not know why.
I can see your point, but that would only happen if the soft lock is implemented poorly. I'm not saying corruption should be locked at the highest difficulty.

Let's use an imaginary scale of difficulty where 100 is mathematically impossible, 75 is Dark Souls level, 50 is a good challenge and 25 is Stardew Valley level.

I don't think corruption content should be gated at 75, but rather at 50. You can grind even more corruption and make the game a 75, but you don't need to if all you want is to see the corruption scenes. Once you hit 50, you unlocked the corruption scenes, but the player should still be able to raise or decrease the difficulty based on their actions.

It's a bit hard to envision it, I guess. I could describe how I plan to use this idea in my first game, maybe that would help.

You mentioned gameplay advantages in corruption paths multiple times and I have 0 clue what you are talking about since I have not played any game that made it feel that way.
Well in Star Knightess Aura you get a bunch of gold by doing lewd or evil stuff. I guess this is more subtle as it's not exactly a direct buff, but then you have games like Curse of Kubel where your main resource you need in order to finish the game increases the more lewdness you gain.

I already mentioned this but it doesn't really change much since most games already have those mechanisms in place and still this thread exists :)
I don't think I'm the first one to come up with those solutions, but I haven't anyone try to put together such an analysis before.