README Future feature feedback: Patreon badges?

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
I'd like to get peoples thoughts on having an option to show in your profile what creators you supported.

Devs would first opt in, users would then have the opportunity to sync their Patreon account, then choose which creators they support should be shown on their profile. It would be up to the user which developers are displayed.

There wouldn't be any extra information like amount or date pledged or anything like that for privacy reasons, it would just show if you're an active patron or not.

Here's a rough mockup:
f95patronconcept.png

Thoughts?

Chel

Jun 1, 2017
Honestly, i like this. It doesn't change much and may make more people support some creators.
The only bad thing i could see coming from this is that some people may use this in discussion about some games. "You don't even support him, how dare you give negative feedback".

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
The only bad thing i could see coming from this is that some people may use this in discussion about some games. "You don't even support him, how dare you give negative feedback".
True, although just because a developer's 'badge' isn't shown on a profile doesn't mean they're not a patron, as it's opt in and the user can chose which devs to display, so I'd hope it wouldn't cause those kinda arguments.

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
We should be allowed to show which games we support rather than have it automatically list all of them. Some things are better left unshown

Reactions: c3p0 and Palanto

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
Very good on the user experience/visual appearance :)

I'm a bit skeptical over people having the same patreon and F95 username
Also slightly worried for leecher who will spam requests patrons to give the link

Also I fully agree with Oiz on that

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
That is a concern, I could show a warning when synching accounts about similar usernames, however this is already an existing problem and a dev can cross match usernames regardless of this feature.

Also slightly worried for leecher who will spam requests patrons to give the link
True, although it doesn't show what amount the user pledges at, they could be a $1 pledge who doesn't have the latest game, or a $30 pledge, nobody would know.

Reactions: Palanto

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
Very good on the user experience/visual appearance :)

Also I fully agree with Oiz on that
On the other hand creators may appreciate the site or get to see it as more than just people that steal from them and may create profiles here for feedback

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
so I'd hope it wouldn't cause those kinda arguments.
Sorry, but you are being delusional. The sensible answer is to ignore anyone using it as an excuse to have a dig at someone else, but you are dealing with human nature.

Personally it is a feature I would never use for the simple fact of linking accounts. There is an element of trust, 'how do I know what is going on in the background when I link accounts?', for me it's about sharing of info. Not that I am against it, but if I could I would stop my left hand from know what my right one is doing, unless there is a solid proven reason for doing so.
Example - you need an email account to sign up here, a solid reason for doing so is to contact me if I forget my password or if something happens I need to know about. You do not need nor do my email providers need a telephone number...I dunno, contact me by email.
Paranoid? Yes, probably, but I only need to be right once ;)
And no, I don't go for the argument, if I'm doing nothing wrong, unless you let me set up a live stream from your living room, after all, if you've done nothing wrong...

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Sorry, but you are being delusional. The sensible answer is to ignore anyone using it as an excuse to have a dig at someone else, but you are dealing with human nature.
There will probably be some of those arguments, but we have them anyway. "You guys are pirates stop hating on the game you're getting it for free" etc already happen.

There is an element of trust, 'how do I know what is going on in the background when I link accounts?', for me it's about sharing of info.
We'd have a privacy policy on the sync page showing exactly what information is exposed by Patreon's API, and what information we actually store (literally just what creators you're a patron of). We'd use the minimum possible scopes with Patreon's oAuth API, meaning we wouldn't have access to things email address or physical address.

I take your point though, I know many users wouldn't want to use the feature for privacy reasons despite our precautions and assurances, and I respect that.

Darkarhon

Donor
Jun 20, 2017
Its a good idea.

The question is, should it be shown in all your posts or should it be shown in your profile?

It will indeed show the patreons you are supporting which can help by identifying who is a patreon of who thus we can ask these people if they can give us an updated version of the current content be it a game or something else they are supporting assuming that patreon person has a thread here, but it can also give rise to problems for example "You don't support the patreon so your feedback is moot" , "You are supporting someone who is clearly stealing money from his/her patrons without giving any good updates to his/her game or updating it at all"

It would be a good idea to give each user the tools to decide which patreon they are support to be shown in your profile or posts or both and which patreon to not be shown.

EDIT: The other points I had were already pointed out and answered so wont point them again :O.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
Im not actually sure about this, from a logical point, whats the benefit for it? Are people bothered on a Pirate Forum that they are sometimes "denounced" as Pirates? It kinda just seems like an Achievement thing, for showing off.

Just kinda sounds like a forum feature to say that we dont Pirate games, while we all do that though. As no one would ever support every creator just to test a game thats early and (lets be honest) most often crap/buggy/just not his thing.

Meh maybe im missing some bigger point here, but im seeing only the not so great parts, and thats the potential to show off, and potential to form "better" user classes. And trust me, thats going to happen.

Also im always against linking something, especially on the internet.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I feel like the signatures already sorta perform this function but better. Signatures are free advertising all over the site.

I'm not opposed to it, and hopefully any issues caused will be heavily moderated. I don't want to see people get shit for not supporting or dropping support.

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
True, although it doesn't show what amount the user pledges at, they could be a $1 pledge who doesn't have the latest game, or a $30 pledge, nobody would know.
We all know, that the beggers don't care about that. Infact they don't even care if you are a patreon or not... They'll ask you anyways :pokerFace:

I feel like the signatures already sorta perform this function but better. Signatures are free advertising all over the site.

I'm not opposed to it, and hopefully any issues caused will be heavily moderated. I don't want to see people get shit for not supporting or dropping support.
We got pretty clear limitations for signatures, though, like the amount and size of pictures for example.

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
I would honestly keep it to the profile. The post bit would be pretty cluttered, really fast.

Reactions: Oiz

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I think it might be nice for many people, but I also think it should maybe be kept to the profile exclusively, instead of on the posts.
The question is, should it be shown in all your posts or should it be shown in your profile?
I would honestly keep it to the profile. The post bit would be pretty cluttered, really fast.
@Sam I get what these guys are saying, but I also wouldn't mind maybe some post by post relevance. Would it be possible to have a "Devs I support" Link placed somewhere in here

or better, a displayed list, that shows the first 3 you support and then a "more..." link to the profile page displayed over here

EDIT: (I'm an idiot, I didn't look and now see this is exactly how you were displaying it. But seriouslly a ... could link to the rest after that 3 or more)
Especially if they were given the choice of which 3 to display.

People already call people out for not supporting, whether they do or not. We already have ways to curtail this type of non productive reasoning. If you're critical of something, like a creators game, then why would you be paying for it in the first place? It is up to us to earn them as patrons, not for them to earn us being quality developers.