For those of you that use Daz Studio, how do you stack geoshells?

mae25

Jun 17, 2021
I can't find any resources online on this topic. Just how to generally use geoshells.

For example if I use a NGV8 for gens or breastacular for breasts, they have their own texture and shell. Then if I want to apply a "full body wetness" or some other sort of geoshell, I can't overlapp the shell on the gens/breast shell, which causes the wetness to just have a hard edge and not apply.. but I do want the breast to take that layer as well.

If I move the offset as some tutorials suggest, it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
I can't find any resources online on this topic. Just how to generally use geoshells.

For example if I use a NGV8 for gens or breastacular for breasts, they have their own texture and shell. Then if I want to apply a "full body wetness" or some other sort of geoshell, I can't overlapp the shell on the gens/breast shell, which causes the wetness to just have a hard edge and not apply.. but I do want the breast to take that layer as well.

If I move the offset as some tutorials suggest, it does nothing. Any suggestions?
If they are geografts, you can do something with it. I'm pretty sure breastacular is a geograft, like golden palace for example. ngv8 should be a geograft too.

It's been a few weeks since I did this so it might not be entirely correct. Daz is running an animation right now so can't confirm.

What you can do is something along these lines:
In your fully body wetness shell, you should be able to find for example the surfaces for breastacular in the surface tab. They'll probably be off. If you turn them on, they'll just show up white, because they have no textures. They'll also be 3dl surfaces for whatever reason. You apply iray uber shader to the surface, then you select the torso surface of the shell, copy the surface, the paste it to the breastacular surface, all in the wetness shell still.

Did that make sense? I might have missed a step. It won't look perfect on a closeup but good for anything else.

Oh, and save before you try any of this shit please. ;)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Ying Ko and Jumbi

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
"Copy surfaces" sadly also copies textures. You might not always want that. I tried copying a node setup from genesis 8 to a genesis 2 figure and ended up with the hands from genesis 8 all over the body of genesis 2. Like something out of a horror show. I thought it would only copy the node setup.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
"Copy surfaces" sadly also copies textures. You might not always want that. I tried copying a node setup from genesis 8 to a genesis 2 figure and ended up with the hands from genesis 8 all over the body of genesis 2. Like something out of a horror show. I thought it would only copy the node setup.
But in the case of the OP, with a wet body shell, you'll definitely want the textures too. They'll be water drops and stuff. Otherwise you just get the gloss and reflective etc. Remember, we're copying the torso surface of the wet body shell, onto the breastacular surface of the wet body shell. We do not touch breastacular itself, nor the g8.

Reactions: faramata

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Interesting topic. I've just recently found issues with geoshells myself.
If they are geografts, you can do something with it. I'm pretty sure breastacular is a geograft, like golden palace for example. ngv8 should be a geograft too.

It's been a few weeks since I did this so it might not be entirely correct. Daz is running an animation right now so can't confirm.

What you can do is something along these lines:
In your fully body wetness shell, you should be able to find for example the surfaces for breastacular in the surface tab. They'll probably be off. If you turn them on, they'll just show up white, because they have no textures. They'll also be 3dl surfaces for whatever reason. You apply iray uber shader to the surface, then you select the torso surface of the shell, copy the surface, the paste it to the breastacular surface, all in the wetness shell still.

Did that make sense? I might have missed a step. It won't look perfect on a closeup but good for anything else.

Oh, and save before you try any of this shit please. ;)
Precisely, yesterday I could not make Thunder3D's blush geoshell work together with NGV8. As soon as I loaded the blush body geoshell, NGV8 genitalia would look untextured. Happily, doing what you suggest makes the two of them work together at the same time nicely. (y)

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Interesting topic. I've just recently found issues with geoshells myself.

Precisely, yesterday I could not make Thunder3D's blush geoshell work together with NGV8. As soon as I loaded the blush body geoshell, NGV8 genitalia would look untextured. Happily, doing what you suggest makes the two of them work together at the same time nicely. (y)
Sounds like a win! (y)

Reactions: Jumbi