• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

First Render Opinions

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Hello! been a lurker for a while and wanted to try creating something in Daz. Was wondering if i can get opinions and some feedback on my work so far. Im having problems with larger images - they come out a grainy and ive been trying to mess with the max sample and render quality setting, any tips or advice are very much welcome. Thanks

Reactions: Kass69 and Ekzar

Humlebien

Donor
Nov 15, 2016
Not bad at all. Might want to come on discord. You could post in the Dev-preview channel, or gain access to the Game dev channel for help etc. But not bad at all.

Lorric17

May 25, 2017
Hello! been a lurker for a while and wanted to try creating something in Daz. Was wondering if i can get opinions and some feedback on my work so far. Im having problems with larger images - they come out a grainy and ive been trying to mess with the max sample and render quality setting, any tips or advice are very much welcome. Thanks
I've been messing with daz3d a bit, but I'm still a beginner. I've read a bit about getting rid of graininess, and it seems there are two main fixes. One is to add more light, since it mostly happens in darker areas. But you can also render your image in a larger size, then load it up in an image editor, run a blur on the image, then scale it down to your desired size.

For instance, if you're doing a 1920x1080 image, then render it in 7680x4320 first - that's 4 times the size on each axis. That's going to take a while. Once done, open the image up in an image editor, I use Gimp cos money. Gaussian blur, size 4, scale it down to 1920x1080 and save. Much better looking :)

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
I've been messing with daz3d a bit, but I'm still a beginner. I've read a bit about getting rid of graininess, and it seems there are two main fixes. One is to add more light, since it mostly happens in darker areas. But you can also render your image in a larger size, then load it up in an image editor, run a blur on the image, then scale it down to your desired size.

For instance, if you're doing a 1920x1080 image, then render it in 7680x4320 first - that's 4 times the size on each axis. That's going to take a while. Once done, open the image up in an image editor, I use Gimp cos money. Gaussian blur, size 4, scale it down to 1920x1080 and save. Much better looking :)

Right now - a good render is taking me 2.5-3hrs and they come out looking like the samples above. so if i render at a higher resolution it would be faster?

Lorric17

May 25, 2017
Right now - a good render is taking me 2.5-3hrs and they come out looking like the samples above. so if i render at a higher resolution it would be faster?
Nope, even slower. I've read somewhere that if you render in higher resolution, you can end the rendering earlier. Then do the blurring etc, and it should still be better than rendering in normal size. Haven't tried it though.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
The biggest problem or issue's that you will find with DAZ image are.
1. Lighting, too little or too much, then
2. clipping issue's concerning clothing and
3. lastly floating models such as your second sitting model. Otherwise for first time it's really good.

Reactions: Insanepenguin91

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
The biggest problem or issue's that you will find with DAZ image are.
1. Lighting, too little or too much, then
2. clipping issue's concerning clothing and
3. lastly floating models such as your second sitting model. Otherwise for first time it's really good.
Thanks for the feedback

SmokeyDots

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2017
Nope, even slower. I've read somewhere that if you render in higher resolution, you can end the rendering earlier. Then do the blurring etc, and it should still be better than rendering in normal size. Haven't tried it though.
A lot of people will tell you to do this, but in general don't do this and end it earlier, the quality will be about the same. If you render at a higher resolution to near completion than down size the quality will be better but if you end it earlier its hard to judge when its actually a good time to end it, can end really badly.

SmokeyDots

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2017
Honestly, just render to 100% completion. You need good hardware either way, its kind of unavoidable. Even at 100% completion you will get grain. To make sure the render looks right before the actual render use spot render tool to check, like just the face or something.

To get rid of grain at 100% use photoshop to do a technique called frequency separation. Can youtube a tutorial on it.

SmokeyDots

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2017
Forgot one more thing... use an expression package that creates realistic expressions. The smile can be hard to nail without it. Oh and good job on first try. You didn't use an hdri and attempted an actual in door render which is a lot harder than just hdri + outdoor.

MrNieth

Donor
Jul 22, 2017
Just a quick tip about posing, there's an option to automaticly move the model to the ground (right-click on one of the tabs like parameter, posing etc.) but it will select the closest part of her body from the gound, so on your second image (the girl kneeling) just bend her feet in the air so the closest part gonna be the knee, after you can adjust the feet manually

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Just a quick tip about posing, there's an option to automaticly move the model to the ground (right-click on one of the tabs like parameter, posing etc.) but it will select the closest part of her body from the gound, so on your second image (the girl kneeling) just bend her feet in the air so the closest part gonna be the knee, after you can adjust the feet manually

Thanks!! Great tip