3.90 star(s) 9 Votes

I_Love_Latex

Mar 17, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The girl on the right looks like this :

The girl on left has just too much face between her eyes and the top of her mouth.

On a side note, bravo for First Contact, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Padshij

Oct 23, 2017
i love to play renpy games with "Voice" so i had big probs to play longer as 3min after the alien itroduces her self. i did :

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
i love to play renpy games with "Voice" so i had big probs to play longer as 3min after the alien itroduces her self.
Hehe interesting. I hadn't really thought about the use of "voice", I probably should have made this a bit self voice friendlier. Having turned it on for a bit, I understand you made that hack. How did you deal with the random speak string that facilitates the weird characters above the translation?

I'm having a quick look at right now, I see there's an option to provide a who_alt in the character definition that could have helped to provide a more TTS friendly version of the alien names. I'm going to add that to my to-do list...

Padshij

Oct 23, 2017
Hehe interesting. I hadn't really thought about the use of "voice", I probably should have made this a bit self voice friendlier. Having turned it on for a bit, I understand you made that hack. How did you deal with the random speak string that facilitates the weird characters above the translation?

I'm having a quick look at right now, I see there's an option to provide a who_alt in the character definition that could have helped to provide a more TTS friendly version of the alien names. I'm going to add that to my to-do list...
i needed some time to realize what even "alienRandomSpeak = AlienSpeakRandomString" means A-Z 1-0 size.
i've seen it first time writen. nice work. but i did nothing to deal with it( .. it was stil there. For me, deadly was only that long name because TTS says it's all time at the beginning of each sentence.

Reactions: naughtyroad

Crackle

Nov 10, 2018
Please elaborate. I definitely didn't want to to go for "daz3d asset pack nr X" for the girls. To me personally, supermodel looks are a bit of a turn-off. I enjoy the pretty but she'll never be the cover of a fashion magazine look more, both for faces and bodies. But I certainly don't want to create something that's unattractive. Could you point to some particular feature(s) on them that disturb you?

As to the story line being as interesting, I hope I can surprise you by throwing some interesting twist your way to set it apart from the rest. If not, I'm thinking about a fantasy theme for the one after that, but that's still a long (long long) way off.
It's the uncanny valley, mostly.

This is the reason I actually really dislike 3D games (renpy in particular), they tend to just be... Unnerving. Not because of the content, but because of the uncanny valley effect that 3D characters tend to have in spades. Alien characters lessen this to a degree, since they aren't supposed to look human, but at the end of the day uncanny valley is going to be a hurdle if you use Renpy.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
It's the uncanny valley, mostly.

This is the reason I actually really dislike 3D games (renpy in particular), they tend to just be... Unnerving. Not because of the content, but because of the uncanny valley effect that 3D characters tend to have in spades. Alien characters lessen this to a degree, since they aren't supposed to look human, but at the end of the day uncanny valley is going to be a hurdle if you use Renpy.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, mostly. I considered going with a more stylized look for a bit, and using a cell shader helps to break the uncanny valley effect by bumping you straight back into unrealistic land where the flaws are not as jarring and your margins are much wider. On the other hand, I do like the effect of a beautiful render where the light hits the material just right and you just go "heh, that's really neat", and cell shading loses that effect for the most part.

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
Really enjoyed playing this, the dialogue and humor was on absolute point, the only thing that left me wanting more was no happy ever after with the female, but its okay. The characters from the upcoming game thought have some Wallace and Gromit proportions lol

Space0din

Jun 24, 2017
The part where they go out of thier way to make sure everyone is not related or a minor was quite funny to me.

This is what we have become Patreon. LOOK AT YOUR CREATION AND WEEP!

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Really impressive.
I didn't understand the currency thing by the way, does the author know that the currency it is not based on gold but is is fiat?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Really impressive.
I didn't understand the currency thing by the way, does the author know that the currency it is not based on gold but is is fiat?
Not quite true. Some countries run on the gold standard, the UK for instance.

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
You might want to research that a bit because you're wrong.
Dude, I'm not, there is no need to debate and I'm certain about that, if you are interested you can easily google it.
I drop the conversation.
Edit: well, I add just a link that summarize it easily,

WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
If it's any help, straight from the horse's mouth so to speak:

1548001712617.png

HTH.

Oh, and sorry for the OT. :geek:

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Really impressive.
Thanks.

I'm aware economics, monetary systems and their interactions are quite a lot more complicated than presented, my main point was that to come into contact with (or become) a nation with infinite and free resources would sort of blow the foundations away from under economics as we know it one way or another.

Say, have any of you ever read Iain (M.) Banks? (the M. is for when he writes Sci-Fi, don't ask). His writing is wonderful, and I borrowed was inspired liberally from it.

Reactions: tomcire

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
well, I was surprised because everything was really convincing, just this little thing about the currency confused me, I love this kind of sci-fi (I used to at least, I read a lot of Vance, Philip J. Farmer and such, never read anything of Banks, I will).
Overall pretty good stuff, I enjoyed it a lot.

3.90 star(s) 9 Votes