RPGM Feedback on some attempts of a complete noob

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
Hi folks!

So, I have some ideas for a game or better said for many naughty scenes, and a game wrapped around. I am doing this for me, because I am a complete noob in RPGM and Daz3D. So it's for the fun at first.

Storywise I won't tell anything at the moment. The setting is placed in a medieval/fantasy environment, because I like it. The starting area is a settlement. This settlement provides meat/skin, wood and fish for a nearby castle.

At the moment I am working on the hunter part of the settlement. So I would really like to hear some constructive feedback. Thank you!

FirstMap.PNG

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
Mh, it would be a RPG, didn't even know I can do VN in RPGM. If I would do a VN then I stick to Ren'py. But I want to do a RPG, this running around (not exaggerated of course) and discovering scenes etc. is a nice part.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
RPGM is way overused as far as adult content goes. Not to mention the RPG elements look terrible like I'm using my game boy color form a loge time ago. If you want to tell a story write one RPGM to me is just a cheap gimmick used to make up for lack of story

GeezM

Apr 5, 2018
Mh, it would be a RPG, didn't even know I can do VN in RPGM. If I would do a VN then I stick to Ren'py. But I want to do a RPG, this running around (not exaggerated of course) and discovering scenes etc. is a nice part.
Most of games made in RPGM are in fact visual novels where the only difference from Ren'py is that you must actually walk between locations instead of just clicking the button.

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
@GeezM Ah okay now I understood, then it will be a VN with RPGM. There is no combat system planned. But yeah, thinks like requesting elevators or filling up a fridge, or running from one end to other of the map just to remember you forgot something, going all the way back will definately take no place here.

And regarding the storyline there is a rough concept. I am learning first the basics of RPGM and Daz3D (for my personal fun). Plan is to build the first map, learning the mechanics of RPGM, putting it to a "final" state regarding plugins, techniques, then build the first part of the storyline and fill them with renders.

I am not too much into the story, if we are all honest, those games are for hot scene to jerk off. I don't have a literaly claim. But the whole scenes won't be triggered by stupid or ridiculous staged situations.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Will judge based on your first map image:

Looks very good to me. Would rate 9/10 with a couple things fixed:

Numbers are for attached image.
1. That square sign just looks bad to me, I'd try other ideas/shapes/symbols here
2. The Light-post has no shadow, it looks flat without depth this way
3. Weird shadow
4. Obvious glitch, guess this was just missed since the left house with the same style looks good

-The shadows on the house-parts don't match, some seem to get light from an almost 90° angle, other parts 80°
-Map: needs a couple more natural paths, less straight lines

Hope this helps... and don't take it to serious, I tend to be very critical.

Reactions: Creeping Death

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
Xeah, thank you for feedback!
Currently I am just toooo drunk to give an answer or really appriciate your feedback. I will take a serious look when I become sober! But just yet I can say, this whole shadowing thing gives me a real turn down. After I did this map within the RPGM editor, I discovered some tutorials about parallexing, which makes my whole work for the ciontainer bin!

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
Will judge based on your first map image:

Looks very good to me. Would rate 9/10 with a couple things fixed:

Numbers are for attached image.
1. That square sign just looks bad to me, I'd try other ideas/shapes/symbols here
2. The Light-post has no shadow, it looks flat without depth this way
3. Weird shadow
4. Obvious glitch, guess this was just missed since the left house with the same style looks good

-The shadows on the house-parts don't match, some seem to get light from an almost 90° angle, other parts 80°
-Map: needs a couple more natural paths, less straight lines

Hope this helps... and don't take it to serious, I tend to be very critical.
So, now I am sober again :)

Point 1: Yeah, I agree, signs have been removed in the current version of the map which I completely redo in Photoshop (too bad I use PS for the first time). I will think abount another asset, maybe a wooden sign in front of the houses, replacing also the current sign next to the light post.

Point 2: It is a predefined asset so I have nothing to do with its shadow cast. I maybe run in a little problem because of the planned day cycle (mornings, afternoons, evenings, nights). So either I have to remove all shadows, or I have to find a way to implement shadows for the maps (and future renders??) according to the day-time. Oh, oh, nightmare.

Point 3: Mh, I agree too, the house as been replaced by another type. The whole shadow thing will be really hard to do. See also Point 2. Maybe I put this shadow topic on hold but keep it in my mind for a refining of the map.

Point 4: Corrected.

As an attachment the current state of my redo of the map for parallaxing. Before I go on today with the map, I will test the parallexing technique first.

Settlement_01_NorthEast_Day_Build01.png

Thanks again for your feedback!

P.S.: At least building the map mainly with PS I don't have the transparency overlay problems with the trees within RPGM. Seems that it can't handle two layers of transparency.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Looks good I'd, though I would recommend using less trees in bigger size, putting so many repeated assets in a single map doesn't look very good to. Also regarding the shadows, the trees also have then in the wrong direction, on the houses the shadows are projects I the front, but the trees have then in the back. And finally, the parallaxing is coming out nicely, it's a good opportunity to make more curves and less straight lines, like a village would.

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
Hm, the trees I like the most on this map. I even put more into it to have an effect of a dense forest, surrounding the houses. I think I will finish the work on my first map ever for now. I learned some things about Photoshop thanks to it. Now I am going to implement the map into RPGMaker and start working on the game mechanics, the plugins etc. If someone still wants to give feedback on the map, here is the pre-final version.

Settlement_Sodom_NorthEast.png

DanMachiFan

Jan 22, 2018
Just to let you know that the last map looks much more neat than the first. I like it.
I totally agree with you about not making stupid nonsense quests, most of the times they have the opposite effect on the gameplay which instead of being entertaining, becomes really boring.
I love medieval settings too, you got me curious with this. Good luck!

Last edited: