3D-Blender Feedback for my shaders

stuffnstuff0

Game Developer
Jul 27, 2021
I've been working with blender's shader nodes to see what can be simulated without image texture files, only the principled BSDF and any other shader nodes I can feed into it, with the exception being no image textures/mapping. Any feedback and advice is welcome, if pixar can do it so can I. :unsure:

Here are some examples, skin pores, reflections, texture effects, etc.:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Very cool, I used to do some similar stuff a few years ago ( ). I've made some complex stuff (the previous example takes a while for the computer to recompile the shader), but nowadays I keep it pretty simple, sticking to just Principle BSDF just using the main effects that I like.

Or if I'm going really toony (mainly because while its nice that EEVEE is fast, its not the most accurate, so I perfer to use cycle for pretty renders that has lots of lighting effect), I'll actually just use an Emission shader, keep it at 1.0 intensity, and change the color management mode to sRGB so that I can directly control color 1 to 1 through the emission shader.

I'll often still use cycle for this even if I'm being cartoony, because I can use things such as the 'geometry node' to calculate 'pointiness' (does not work in eevee) to calculate effects (paint the shoulders, breast, butt, a bit lighter, paint cracks such as around the nose a bit darker, edges of joints a bit darker). Even with realistic shading, I'll often use layer weight and pass them through a RGB Curve Nodes to cause more artistic effects, such as shading around the edge to make characters easier to read visual, make a character look a bit softer and warm even if the shading in the scene isn't soft or warm, exaggerating other effects such as the fennel effect.

I don't play much with shaders nowadays, I'll play with models for fun, but I'm mostly working on documents and programming right now.

Reactions: stuffnstuff0

stuffnstuff0

Game Developer
Jul 27, 2021
Very cool, I used to do some similar stuff a few years ago ( ). I've made some complex stuff (the previous example takes a while for the computer to recompile the shader), but nowadays I keep it pretty simple, sticking to just Principle BSDF just using the main effects that I like.

Or if I'm going really toony (mainly because while its nice that EEVEE is fast, its not the most accurate, so I perfer to use cycle for pretty renders that has lots of lighting effect), I'll actually just use an Emission shader, keep it at 1.0 intensity, and change the color management mode to sRGB so that I can directly control color 1 to 1 through the emission shader.

I'll often still use cycle for this even if I'm being cartoony, because I can use things such as the 'geometry node' to calculate 'pointiness' (does not work in eevee) to calculate effects (paint the shoulders, breast, butt, a bit lighter, paint cracks such as around the nose a bit darker, edges of joints a bit darker). Even with realistic shading, I'll often use layer weight and pass them through a RGB Curve Nodes to cause more artistic effects, such as shading around the edge to make characters easier to read visual, make a character look a bit softer and warm even if the shading in the scene isn't soft or warm, exaggerating other effects such as the fennel effect.

I don't play much with shaders nowadays, I'll play with models for fun, but I'm mostly working on documents and programming right now.

Thanks for all the lighting advice, it's changed how I structure my scene and is starting to look real nice. Eevee is so convenient but cycles lighting is just beautiful although production takes a HUUUUGE hit it's kinda worth it, gonna have to weigh when I eventually get to rendering, I can't help but go back and forth now. :unsure: