Fate series - lf fan opinions

Cpt.Briggs

Jul 21, 2017
Hello guys,

after seeing Jeanne d'Arc pretty much everywhere on the internet and other lot of characters, I would like to dig into the world of Fate franchise once again.

I watched both seasons Fate/Zero anime series and had a feeling that it felt incomplete (or more like some parts of story were cutted down). Also I've seen that VN Fate have some H-scenes which to me does not sound coherent with serious vibe of Fate from anime.

Obviously Fate/Stay, night or whatever is much more popular than Zero, so it may be different.

Question is: Should I read VN or watch Anime to continue with Fate story? I have no problem with reading, but I would like to avoid watching anime and finding out that it is actually shit show with incomplete arcs or otherwise read VN for an ethernity just for few needless filler lines.

What do you recommend? If VN, should I read again the Fate/Zero or better start with smth else? And how H-stuff fits into it?

TLDR: Sup, VN or anime?
(Also, I hope this is the right thread. Did not want to necro the thread with VN)

mesoru

Sep 22, 2017
VN without a doubt. Though if you already watched Fate Zero anime, heavens feel is kinda ruinded for you, since you know of Sakura situation.
The vn is very long and some scenes feel like filler, for example kitchen and romance scenes, however the characters and the world are much more fleshed out than the anime. And the h-scenes suck big, though they are very few.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
Hello guys,

after seeing Jeanne d'Arc pretty much everywhere on the internet and other lot of characters, I would like to dig into the world of Fate franchise once again.

I watched both seasons Fate/Zero anime series and had a feeling that it felt incomplete (or more like some parts of story were cutted down). Also I've seen that VN Fate have some H-scenes which to me does not sound coherent with serious vibe of Fate from anime.

Obviously Fate/Stay, night or whatever is much more popular than Zero, so it may be different.

Question is: Should I read VN or watch Anime to continue with Fate story? I have no problem with reading, but I would like to avoid watching anime and finding out that it is actually shit show with incomplete arcs or otherwise read VN for an ethernity just for few needless filler lines.

What do you recommend? If VN, should I read again the Fate/Zero or better start with smth else? And how H-stuff fits into it?

TLDR: Sup, VN or anime?
(Also, I hope this is the right thread. Did not want to necro the thread with VN)
For the questions about the Light Novels (because there are some of them of course. It's not only Anime and VN - for example the Apocrypha one and Fate/Strange Fake) personally speaking I can't tell you much because since English/American it's not my first language, and I'm trying to avoid everything that can be complicated for me to understand (even though I believe that reading the Monogatari Series in English would be more difficult than Fate XD).

About the VN, even that I can't tell you much because I've started it but never finished and for the most part it's more story than "H" and like... If My Heart Had Wings for example, the scenes are placed in the exact moment and not here an there without common sense. However I suggest you to play it because of course it's better than that horrible adaptation of the.. 2005? Where all of the routes are completely merged and the producers tried to give it some meaning or something like that, failing miserably.

So for the anime, Fate/Stay Night don't watch it. Don't even think about it. Like Melsant said, having watched Fate/Zero already you "spoilered (?)" just a little what will come in Heaven's Feel but of course who cares: will be awesome anyway so when comes out in English, definitely watch it. Also I recommend you Unlimited Blade Works - the series, not that special/film since even that it's terrible and doesn't give justice at all to the route in the original VN - and the newest Anime finished.. from one week? Two? Fate/Apocrypha. This one doesn't concern the main universe (the VN, Fate/Zero and such), it's completely another series. A spin-off in a certain sense (or at least this is what I felt since like.. Dies Irae for example, there is an alternative past where.. the Germany won.. something..? Don't remember the first episodes, however the city of Fuyuki it's mentioned and the war for the graal also, but there are other char that fought into it, not the one's that we know), so yeah, you can watch it without a problem! Also, always personally speaking, was amazing.
Then there is the special aired at the end of the.. past year? Or two years ago, Grand/Order. It's just some sort of prelude to what they should do sooner or later (since was announced that there will be other specials about it) and right now should begin even another one: Fate/Extra Last Encore - but for this one I suggest you to play Fate/Extra on PSP. Fate/Extella.. don't think that is needed since it's a sequel to the previous, but I don't think that Altera will be there so if you want, you can skip it (unless you want to play it. In that case, do it. If you like games such as Dynasty Warriors and same since the gameplay it's exactly like that. A musou).

Sooo.. if TLDR it's your choice, I suggest you both of them. Both anime and VN. Again, like I said however, stay away from the adaptation of the 2005. Seriously, it's for your own good.

Reactions: Cpt.Briggs

Cpt.Briggs

Jul 21, 2017
I am the kind of person which triple checks before watching smth if it is the original source and possibly switching to that. Now I see that I have fcked up :/

So as it seems to me, Fate/Zero is not the first part of franchise, but actually a prequel to story of Fate/Night: Heaven's Fell and Fate/Night: Unlimited Blade Works. After them is following Fate/Grand Order and Fate/Apocrypha which is a spinoff in a different world.

So if I would like to continue with watching Anime, I should continue with Fate/Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Grand Order, Fate/Apocrypha and when it cames then out Fate/Night: Heaven's Fell (which is set between Zero and Unlimited Blade Works?).

For VN's - where should I start? It seems to me that Fate/Night is the first installment and after that is Fate/Night: Heaven's Fell. So Fate/Zero is a later made prequel to events in Fate/Night and Heaven's Fell and should read it after that?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thanks a lot to @nam654 and @melsant for your responses. Sorry for those newbie questions and summaring everything up, but on a first glance those different adaptations and releases were giving me a headache (similar to explaining Inception's timelines and afterwards ones in Stein's Gate to a friend of mine - we had to watch again anyways).

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
I am the kind of person which triple checks before watching smth if it is the original source and possibly switching to that. Now I see that I have fcked up :/

So as it seems to me, Fate/Zero is not the first part of franchise, but actually a prequel to story of Fate/Night: Heaven's Fell and Fate/Night: Unlimited Blade Works. After them is following Fate/Grand Order and Fate/Apocrypha which is a spinoff in a different world.

So if I would like to continue with watching Anime, I should continue with Fate/Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Grand Order, Fate/Apocrypha and when it cames then out Fate/Night: Heaven's Fell (which is set between Zero and Unlimited Blade Works?).

For VN's - where should I start? It seems to me that Fate/Night is the first installment and after that is Fate/Night: Heaven's Fell. So Fate/Zero is a later made prequel to events in Fate/Night and Heaven's Fell and should read it after that?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thanks a lot to @nam654 and @melsant for your responses. Sorry for those newbie questions and summaring everything up, but on a first glance those different adaptations and releases were giving me a headache (similar to explaining Inception's timelines and afterwards ones in Stein's Gate to a friend of mine - we had to watch again anyways).
Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel are all in one package. These are just the three route that you can choose in the VN (Stay Night with Saber, UBW with Rin Tohsaka and Heaven's with Sakura Matou). Fate/Zero... I'm not completely sure eh (so maybe someone that already played the VN 'till the end can tell you more), but I believe that it's not included in this one so having watched for now only Zero is good enough since it's a prequel for Unlimited Blade Works route and the VN in general.

So after Zero, yes, you've to watch UBW, Heaven's Feel, Grand Order (but you can watch it after Apocrypha. Both of them are spin-off's of the main universe, but since Apocrypha have more episodes than Grand/Order, you can leave it for the final. Also it's more of a... series made for publishing the game on iOS & Android rather than a series di per se, but like I said, there were a news were someone planned on doing other specials about it so I'm happy!) and then Apocrypha.

For the VN, for now there's only Fate/Stay Night (which include UBW and Heaven's Feel like I said previously). Zero doesn't have a VN as far as I know. After that, there's another VN set after Stay Night (six months later) and it's called Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and there's no anime so far for this and I doubt there will ever be.

Oh, now that I think about it, there's another anime that I forgot that was really, really good but sadly was never taken in consideration about making a series: Fate/Prototype. Practically speaking, this is an OVA and show how could've been Fate if made in that way (don't remember exactly if Stay Night or UBW) and it's really a shame that nothing will ever be made :FeelsBadMan:

mesoru

Sep 22, 2017
Just to complement what nam said.

I only read the VN, there are 3 routes: Fate, UBW and HF. They are parallel to each other, so you can start from each of them, however the recommended order is: Fate (focus on Saber) > UBW (focus on Rin, Shirou and his ideals) > HF (focus on Sakura and clash of shirou ideals). This order is recommended because the main plot (holy grail war) is progressively revealed this way. The Fate Zero is prequel to all those routes, though is more related with Heavens Feel (focus on Sakura, Kirei, Ilya's mother, Holy Grail truth, etc).

My recommendation is: read the VN with the order Fate > UBW > HF. You lose nothing doing this, and you follow the proper order, since Fate Zero anime came later. Also get the Realta Nua version with 18+ plus patch, because the all ages version modified scenes from HF.

UBW and HF animes are also parallel to each other and after Fate Zero anime. There will be 3 HF movies, they are supposedly good, since Ufotable did a good adaptation of UBW.

Can' help you with the spin-offs, since didn't read/played any, besides Fate extra. But from what i know they have no relation with FSN beside the concept (servants and masters).

talosparoxi

Jul 2, 2020
for anyone who stumbles across this old thread I actually recommend checking out the tsukihime series as well since it's in the same universe as the fate series. honestly, checking everything out in the order of release is the best bet for things to make sense

zombie goast

Jun 13, 2020
Read both VNs, Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night. Also stay for all routes, because the last routes are the best routes. I hate NTR, but I still have to acknowledge that Sakura and Kohaku are best Nasu girls.