Seeking F95zone games on Linux

kurum007

Jul 26, 2017
For my fellow Linux people, did you had any success on playing any of the games that have been made available on this website besides the HTML ones ?

If so, how successful were you with setting up an VM and using that as platform to game on?

I guess that DirectX for renders might for a problem since you can't really pass your graphic card power to a VM as a far as i know.

lockenohr

Oct 16, 2017
All Renpy games can be played on linux without using a VM or wine as they generally have a .sh file in their directory which need to be extecuted and you are good to go . If there is no .sh file in directory you may also download the renpy software and use it to create a .sh file.
Unity and QSP games can be played using wine. RPG Maker VX Ace games can also be played using wine though you have to install the RTP in wine.
For playing Rpg Maker MV games you need to have winetricks and install dotnet4 and directx9 if I recall correctly .
RAGs games can't be played using wine so you have to use the Regalia engine available in this forum.
Java and flash games can be easily be played using jre and the flash content debugger from the adobe website
For the two games I know that use some different engine The Fate of Irnia & Glassix you need to install directx9.
I recommend using playonlinux or lutris for managing wine versions and directories.

If you really want to run a VM I would recommend doing a GPU Passthrough though it requires support for VT-d in your processor and you also need two GPUs. If you have a laptop then the second is generally easy as laptops generally have 2 GPUs , an integrated intel one and a nvidia or amd one . With GPU Passthrough you get near native performance though for these kinds of games Wine will generally suffice. Also Wine is free while GPU Passthrough requires a Windows license to install in a VM.

I'd really not recommend using Virtualbox or Qemu for playing games. Though renpy, rags , qsp games will work okay but the other games will have a really low performance.

fsck

Aug 3, 2017
I don't think I have come across any game here yet that I wasn't able to get running on wine. Ren'py games are written in python and basically run natively on linux. Is there any specific game that you encountered problems with?

Reactions: vanuyak

lockenohr

Oct 16, 2017
Most Renpy games made for windows contain a .sh file which has the same name as the game for example

Dreams of Desire EP10 contains 3 files , a .py file which is a python file , a .exe file which is for windows and a .sh file . You can execute this file by opening a terminal in the same directory as the file and typing these commands

chmod +x *.sh
./*.sh

This will execute the file and this works in all desktop environments .
If you use KDE / Xfce / GNOME you can go to the properties to make the .sh executable and the execute it by double clicking it. In GNOME it requires you to set a setting in Nautilus or GNOME Files to give you a prompt whether to run a file or display it in gedit .
KDE and Xfce directly do it ,IIRC. The situation should be the same with all desktop environments , though you have to use the commands if you may or may not have to use the commands if you use a single window manager like openbox or i3 .

If you can't find the .sh file in the directory then you will have to use the Renpy software to make a .sh file . I don't know how this goes as I have found a .sh file in all the Renpy games except one that was Witch Trainer : Silver Edition which was a mod . There I just used wine . wine pretty much performs the same as the native linux versions in the case of Renpy games .

P.S. Some RPG Maker MV games don't and can't work on wine because of some thing the use called Yanfly core or something. The games I've found that use these plugins in MV are Farmer's Dreams , Town of Passion and My Summer with Mom and Sis .

P.S.S. I haven't found a way to make Glassix work in wine.

fsck

Aug 3, 2017
P.S. Some RPG Maker MV games don't and can't work on wine because of some thing the use called Yanfly core or something. The games I've found that use these plugins in MV are Farmer's Dreams , Town of Passion and My Summer with Mom and Sis .
Forgot about RPGMV games, not a big fan of those. Some don't run on wine, although they can all usually be played in the browser by going into the www directory and opening index.html

kurum007

Jul 26, 2017
sorry for the double post

attempted to run hack 'n stalk (unity game) via playonlinux
by going through install a program > install a non-listed program > following the wizard > choose 64 bit > and point to exe of the game

however while the .exe started i wasn't able to select anything in the menu

OvidiusLian

Jan 28, 2018
Ren'py games with the ren`py SDK installed, I simply create a name of the game folder (where ren`py is installed) and copy the game folder to this folder. the rest I delete, in order to keep the saves they are on the game folder.
ex:

renpy-6.99.14-sdk
---GoodGirlGoneBad
------ game
---------- saves
---other games

games with html i run the python server on the index.html folder
python -m SimpleHTTPServer and on the browser

Unity, some developers compile for linux, most of them don't, kind of stupid as they are losing market, that has the cost of the compilation time,.

Reactions: vanuyak and Cirro84

lockenohr

Oct 16, 2017
sorry for the double post

attempted to run hack 'n stalk (unity game) via playonlinux
by going through install a program > install a non-listed program > following the wizard > choose 64 bit > and point to exe of the game

however while the .exe started i wasn't able to select anything in the menu
I think you should install corefonts or allfonts from the playonlinux menu or you can also use winetricks to install it.

Also I'd recommend using 32bit as wine's 64 bit doesn't support everything. You may use wine-staging by going to the manage wine versions and downloading the staging version. It generally gives better performance on a lot of games after you enable CSMT in wine settings.

Some unity games use directx11 which is not fully supported in wine so you should use the command line parameters "-force-d3d9" without the quotes to play those games. This forces the games to work in directx9 mode.

kurum007

Jul 26, 2017
did some further experiments

1) installed winetricks
2) started winetricks - gives a warning about using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX
3) in winetricks chose for select the default wineprefix
4) install allfonts and corefronts

5) install playonelinux
6) chose for install a program> install a non-listed program > following the wizard > choose 64 bit > and point to exe of the game

result:

lockenohr

Oct 16, 2017
Type winecfg in terminal and go to the graphics tab and tick the emulate virtual desktop option there. This should solve the misplaced content problem.

Also, using winetricks directly installs corefonts in the default wine prefix that is at ~/.wine (~/ means your home directory. ".wine" is a hidden folder in your home directory).

A wine prefix is like an isolated windows installation. You can create as many wineprefix as you may want. This is used to isolate programs with problematic dependencies like dotNet4 and directx9 since most programs don't need these. For the programs that do need these you should use a seperate wineprefix.

Here is how to install corefonts in playonlinux and play big brother.
1 Open playonlinux
2 Click on the big configure button.
3 Click on the new button on the bottom left.
4 Click next , select 32bit installation , click next , select whatever wine version you want, click next , name the virtual drive or wineprefix (I named it bigbrother), wait while the virtual drive is created and it's done.
5 Now click on bigbrother in the left sidebar .
6 Click on the wine tab and click on configure wine.
7 Go to the graphics tab and tick the emulate virtual desktop option there and close the window.
8 Now go to install components tab and select Microsoft Core Fonts there and click install.
9 After that's done , click on the Miscellaneous tab and click on run a .exe file in this virtual drive button. Find the big brother exe and run it using the file picker dialog.

Reactions: kurum007

kurum007

Jul 26, 2017
thanks for the thorough explanation however i'm still having issues with the screen being off center. Here are the steps that i followed

1) opened playonlinx
2) clicked on configure
3) clicked on new
4) wizard popped up
4.1) click on next
4.2) selected 32 bits
4.3) click on next
4.4) click on next (makes use of system)
4.5) named the virtual drive: bigbro
4.6) clicked next
5) selected bigbro
5.1) selected the wine tab
5.2.1) clicked on configure wine
5.2.1.1) clicked on graphics tab
5.2.1.1.1) enabled the emulated virtual desktop
5.2.1.1.2) chose apply
5.2) selected the install components
5.2.1) installed microsoft core fonts via the wizard
5.3) selected the misc tab
5.3.1) clicked on run an .exe file in this virtual drive
5.3.2) selected big brother exe via the file picker

lockenohr

Oct 16, 2017
Try going in configure wine and untick both options about allow window manager to decorate and control windows. Also if you are using GNOME, make sure to use X11 session.

Also try changing the resolution to match the virtual window resolution and make bigbrother.exe start in fullscreen by unticking the windowed checkbox in the big brother window.

If this doesn't work, try this command in terminal and post the output here

WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/bigbro wine ~/path/to/BigBrother.exe

kurum007

Jul 26, 2017
Mono path[0] = 'Z:/tmp/temp/BigBrother0130007/0.13.0.007/BigBrother_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = 'Z:/tmp/temp/BigBrother0130007/0.13.0.007/BigBrother_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = 'Z:/tmp/temp/BigBrother0130007/0.13.0.007/BigBrother_Data/Mono/etc'
Initialize engine version: 5.0.0f4 (5b98b70ebeb9)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
d3d11: failed to create D3D11 device (0x80004005)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 9.0c [igxprd32.dll 6.14.10.5218]
Renderer: Intel(R) G45/G43
Vendor: Intel
VRAM: 2047 MB (via DXGI)
Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\Newtonsoft.Json.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\Newtonsoft.Json.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in 0.055 seconds
desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.
<RI> Touch support initialization failed: Call not implemented.
Platform assembly: Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
V: `0.13.0.007`

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebug.gen.cpp Line: 56)

Platform assembly: Z:\tmp\temp\BigBrother0130007\0.13.0.007\BigBrother_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Parent of RectTransform is being set with parent property. Consider using the SetParent method instead, with the worldPositionStays argument set to false. This will retain local orientation and scale rather than world orientation and scale, which can prevent common UI scaling issues.

fsck

Aug 3, 2017
It has been mentioned in the thread.
Thanks to @lockenohr i can run unity games on linux.
I only have a problem with the BigBrothers menu offset
This was a problem with older versions of wine. The latest version runs it perfectly - I can vouch from personal experience. What version of wine are you using?

Also, you can try starting the game with:

wine BigBrother.exe -force-opengl​

Make sure you do that from the directory the .exe is in, or it won't work correctly.