• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

rezaf

Jul 3, 2017
  1. Uncontrollable branching
  2. Too many "god knows who" characters
  3. Too many forgotten main story characters
Hmm. Okay.
What do you mean if you say "Uncontrollable branching"? That the dev can't keep up with updating the branches or that the player has too little agency (it isn't obvious enough for him) which choices get him on which trajectory?

What are some examples for "god knows who" characters?

Which main story characters do you count as "forgotten" and how would you like to see them treated?

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to get at you or belittle your opinions (which I don't really share to be honest, but that doesn't really prove or disprove anything) - I'm working on a mod for this game, and maybe I can try to fix some of that stuff or at the very least prevent to add to the problem(s).

peperonni31

Jan 1, 2023
Hmm. Okay.
What do you mean if you say "Uncontrollable branching"? That the dev can't keep up with updating the branches or that the player has too little agency (it isn't obvious enough for him) which choices get him on which trajectory?
You choose a bikini colour and in the future it affects the story in a important way etc. I hope you get my point
What are some examples for "god knows who" characters?
Random people they encounter during the holiday. I even enjoy things like pizza man, delivery guy but some random characters are too unnatural in terms of game's course.
Which main story characters do you count as "forgotten" and how would you like to see them treated?
The boy Nicole used to tutor. Our old dudes, D&D dudes, Steve's hot partner etc.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to get at you or belittle your opinions (which I don't really share to be honest, but that doesn't really prove or disprove anything) - I'm working on a mod for this game, and maybe I can try to fix some of that stuff or at the very least prevent to add to the problem(s).

rezaf

Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for your opinions peperonni31 .

I tend to disagree about the not knowing what choices are going to affect thing, as it's kinda the staple of VNs. Sure, SOME things could be more obvious, but part of the fun of a VN is experimenting with the different choices.
So while I see where you are coming from, it's not something that bothers me in the slightest - quite the contrary, in fact.

So, most of the "god knows who" characters are people you meet during the trip? Even Guter Reiter himself has voiced doubt about his decision to make such a trip and voiced his desire to go back to the "regulars", so ... yeah.
Still, IF the trip was made, it would've have made much sense to meet all the same people from home, so it's an obvious issue.

Which goes straight to the last point about those people back home that were introduced needing some more time to shine - hard to argue with that, but there's only so much Reiter can do in every given update. As I'm now "forced" to develop characters and plotlines of my own, I'm definitely sympathetic to his woes, though as a player, naturally I can't really disagree.

GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I tend to disagree about the not knowing what choices are going to affect thing, as it's kinda the staple of VNs. Sure, SOME things could be more obvious, but part of the fun of a VN is experimenting with the different choices.
So while I see where you are coming from, it's not something that bothers me in the slightest - quite the contrary, in fact.
Exploring different paths from choices made is fun... but the choices should hint toward what they lead to or at least make sense in some way. Something as arbitrary as picking the color of the bikini should not be a major deciding factor for how the story plays out.

The vacation could have been more fun if they invited some friends along. Literally any of the pre-existing characters we've met would suffice. There could have been some real adventures there. Instead, we get a bunch of randos thrown at Nicole again with the same rinse and repeat choices (show tits/show pussy... why not show both, mutherfucker!??).

I'd like to see the game come to focus back on characters like Casey, Nicole's ex, that hot chick we fuck at the BBQ, Nicole's co-worker... and add a little tension to it. Turbulence is good storytelling (and no, I'm not talking about having Steve or Nicole cheat on each other).

rezaf

Jul 3, 2017
Exploring different paths from choices made is fun... but the choices should hint toward what they lead to or at least make sense in some way. Something as arbitrary as picking the color of the bikini should not be a major deciding factor for how the story plays out.

The vacation could have been more fun if they invited some friends along. Literally any of the pre-existing characters we've met would suffice. There could have been some real adventures there. Instead, we get a bunch of randos thrown at Nicole again with the same rinse and repeat choices (show tits/show pussy... why not show both, mutherfucker!??).

I'd like to see the game come to focus back on characters like Casey, Nicole's ex, that hot chick we fuck at the BBQ, Nicole's co-worker... and add a little tension to it. Turbulence is good storytelling (and no, I'm not talking about having Steve or Nicole cheat on each other).
About the choices, I can only repeat myself, I see where you're coming from, but disagree.
Maybe I'm biased, having played a ton of the older japanese VNs - compared to those, the choices in EG are smooth sailing. Yes, you can't be 100% sure what the choice affects, but there aren't many choices to begin with, so exploring all options is (together with skip mode) easy peasy. I guess I'm just a different kind of gamer, as I'd much rather have choice/effects like the swimsuit one than stupid binary choices of the "I want to see this or not" variety.
We're going to have to agree to disagree about this one.

And about the vacation, I think I already wrote everything. I mostly concur. If I could dream up my own version of the game, I'd probably have put in the vacation MUCH earlier, with the idea that Nicole might have been game for some experimentation in a relaxed atmosphere with strangers she wouldn't have considered in her familiar environment. As it stands, the vacation came when everyone (me included) was eager to see more content with familiar faces, and at that point, Nicole was already on board with doing most everything anyway.
But that all is easy to say in hindsight. I bet Guter Reiter learned something and will put it to good use in his next game. :)

Reactions: Adviar5050

GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
About the choices, I can only repeat myself, I see where you're coming from, but disagree.
Maybe I'm biased, having played a ton of the older japanese VNs - compared to those, the choices in EG are smooth sailing. Yes, you can't be 100% sure what the choice affects, but there aren't many choices to begin with, so exploring all options is (together with skip mode) easy peasy. I guess I'm just a different kind of gamer, as I'd much rather have choice/effects like the swimsuit one than stupid binary choices of the "I want to see this or not" variety.
We're going to have to agree to disagree about this one.
I dislike stupid binary choices like that, too. But I also dislike choices where "Choose orange bikini to get threesome with Sarah or green bikini to get stranger with Nicole 5 episodes from now".

And about the vacation, I think I already wrote everything. I mostly concur. If I could dream up my own version of the game, I'd probably have put in the vacation MUCH earlier, with the idea that Nicole might have been game for some experimentation in a relaxed atmosphere with strangers she wouldn't have considered in her familiar environment. As it stands, the vacation came when everyone (me included) was eager to see more content with familiar faces, and at that point, Nicole was already on board with doing most everything anyway.
But that all is easy to say in hindsight. I bet @Guter Reiter learned something and will put it to good use in his next game. :)
That's not a bad idea, either. I think it was also a bad idea to have two different vacation locations. Obviously, made things more difficult to deliver a solid update.

Reactions: sagerock820

sagerock820

Nov 5, 2023
Yeah, I know he said he wasn't happy with the vacation now but he has to finish it. I don't think it was great but I also don't think it was that bad so far. Once we get back, we can pickup the story with some of the regulars.

Reactions: Maviarab

Adviar5050

Aug 11, 2020
Okay I'll join the conversation. Regarding the different paths and choices they have their benefits and negatives. On the positive side you get so much content. There are way too many games that have choices that don't really change anything. Almost every choice here leads to new scenes and different outcomes. It makes the game fun and makes it so you almost have to save at every choice or you miss content. I love that. It makes the game unique and with every new release you have mulitple paths to go down. Some games offer a sharing path, a vanilla path and a cheating path. Think of Pineapple express or Couples Duet as examples. I'm not criticizing these games, in fact I enjoy playing them. But I prefer the way Guter has done this. You have choices to make Nicole as slutty or non-slutty as you want. In fact, there is a path where even at chapter 16 she hasn't had sex with anyone but Steve.
Now onto the negatives. Sometimes the logic gets a little crazy and a choice made three chapters before impacts the story. Let me give you two separate decision points in the game to show the comparison. The first is the whole bathing suit incident with Sarah. You make what looks like a nonimportant decision but then three chapters later, it opens up a whole different scene. Nobody would have guessed that decision point would impact the game in anyway. The second happens the night you go over to Eric and Colin's house the first time. The decision question is "do you want me to go on a date with John?". Once again, the payoff for that choice doesn't happen until three chapters later but at least you understand how that choice may impact the game. This makes the game interesting, but also frustrating sometimes. The second reason is the main problem I have and that is with each update, based upon the choices you made previously Guter has to create renders and dialogues to satisfy that outcome. Take for instance the last visit to the Red Angel. Your first choice was whether you recommended Casey to go to the gym near Thomas or the one that Nicole uses. Every decision point made in the club is affected by that decision. Then, let's assume you picked the one near Thomas. At that point you have the whole massage scene which has it's own branches. After that, you have differences based on whether they went far in the massage or shut it down early. This decision will impact all future activies for that night which means new dialogue and possibly different renders. To do all this and make sure the logic flows must be difficult for Guter and cause more and more additions to each update which, like I said, means longer time between updates.
Now that I've said all that, I doubt anyone is still reading but just in case you are let me just say, I love this game. It's my favorite. I'm fully invested in the couple and the story and can't wait to see what Guter has planned next. He is very good at what he does and I hope when he finally completes this game that he wants to continue developing since I think he's got a real talent for it. I'm not criticizing the choices and the impact on the game, I'm just trying to point out that there are pluses and minuses for having all this content. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong, just makes it mine.

rezaf

Jul 3, 2017
Adivar, you should think about separating such a wall of text into a few paragraphs, makes it easier to read and less intimidating to look at. :D

I think you guys have the wrong approach to choices (of course it isn't really obviously wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion) - I for one WOULD have guessed the bathing suit decision (which is the worst example, these things aren't really common in EG) has an impact - you know why? Because the game doesn't have decisions that have no impact whatsoever, except maybe some of the "finishing shot" choices, or whether or not to try anal - but even those tick up a counter and have minor impact or could have. And that's good, in my book.

If you think about your own life, is it unrealistic for small decisions to have a huge impact? If you decide to get burgers on the lunch break instead of pizza, you might meet a girl there you're totally into, or you might not. On the other hand, you might meet a future employer if you have pizza, so this seemingly insignificant decision could have a massive impact on your life. And "nobody could have predicted that" from your decision on where to spend your lunch break.

EG is actually very light on such decisions having an impact. Some games have in interconnected web of things that only happen if you bought the red bikini one day, chose to take the train instead of a taxi another day, chose to visit the hair salon instead of going shopping on a third day and so on and so forth. And even that isn't really a problem in a game like EG. Because skip mode is enabled and there are no minigames or secondary interfaces (like a mobile phone) or crappy free roam sections, it's convenient and fast to go back to any given decision, chose something else and see whether or not it had an impact by enabling skip mode. I do hear you, it's a big deal for you somehow, but I really can't understand why. :D

4.40 star(s) 78 Votes