Tutorial Ren'Py Enabling Developer & Command Consoles In Ren'py

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
I don't know what i am doing wrong, i can bring up the developer mode correctly but all the text is square blocks for game corruption?
It's chinese or something like that. It does't show well. Only as blocks. The one I use is shift + o and type in cheats. I forget if it was the third or forth choice in the dev menu that lead to the variable list and the other shows the pictures.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I've tried both options for corruption 0.5, the one with the cheat file the game doesn't at all react to the ctrl-d or any other ocmmand, the other one, where I actually change the setting in the 00console file leads to an error when i try to open the console.

grandefarao

Jun 4, 2017
to make it easier, if the option.rpy file does not exsist in the common folder download the one up top and drop it in the common folder. if there is an options.rpy already but no config.developer = True or config.developer = False statement in it, add config.developer = True right below another config.xxx statement (with same spaces) as long as it is below the python hide statement.

You might wish to download the 00_console.rpy file from here as well to make it easier.

Following this I am 100% so far at loading the dev console at all games I have tried and using the variable viewer to cheat my ass off in the console!

I keep the console & options files in the root of my game folder and drop them into every new renpy game that I play. (after looking for a legit options.rpy or 00options.rpy file of course)
The link is broken.

Reactions: crazyfingers87

Silver1

Feb 7, 2017
I don´t get it, yesterday i tried to enable the console in "Seasons of the wolf" game ( finished that game before, never had problems with it ) , it worked, the console was there, even though i did not knew how to change anything so the console was useless. Today i try enter the game again and there´s several problems that don´t let me access the game, so i deleted the options file used earlier and used the backup 00console.rpy that i made, the game should be normal by now, still the problems are still there, i will post the first line of the problem on the traceback in hopes someone can help please:

"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 354, in script
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 457, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 71, in execute
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 82, in execute
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 83, in execute
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 63, in execute
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 64, in execute
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 66, in execute
File "game/plot/mainscript.rpy", line 66, in keywords
NameError: name 'muvet' is not defined"

Book

May 21, 2017
Ok, so i have a problem here. any time i try to do any console mod i have this message:
"UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 34: ordinal not in range(128)"
when i try a console comand on the main menu i dont have any problem, but when i try it on a save i get this message. what sould i do?

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
It's a unicode converting error. It's been brought up in other threads and I think the solution is to do some switch with the encoding. Don't recall what that is. Be warned taht it's slightly different between RenPy 2.X and 3.0.

Silver1

Feb 7, 2017
After you manage to enable the console, how you make any changes in the game?I am facing a particularly difficult renpy game, i tried to look the variable viewer but no luck so far, can anyone give some tips of "normally accepted" codes for renpy games please?I tried obvious things like: gold = x, but nothing works.

Reactions: Flame16

Paz

Aug 9, 2016
After you manage to enable the console, how you make any changes in the game?I am facing a particularly difficult renpy game, i tried to look the variable viewer but no luck so far, can anyone give some tips of "normally accepted" codes for renpy games please?I tried obvious things like: gold = x, but nothing works.
There isn't really a "Frequently Used Variables" thing available. In your gold example, a developer could name that variable gold, another money and another one stuff_you_use_to_buy_things and all would be perfectly acceptable RenPy-wise. And then there's also the fact that some devs use arrays/objects to store values, so your mileage may vary.

TL;DR: Variable viewer is your best friend for better or worse, or you can have a look in the actual code to find variable names.

katabasi

Jun 6, 2017
Go to "Renpy game xxx"/ Renpy / Common / 00console.rpy
ctrl+f and enter config.console

when i do this i get no items match ur search

Thjis

May 19, 2017
This file works on Kelly's family .093, extract to renpy/common folder and choose ctrl+d for dev console or ctrl+o for console.

This file has worked for every renpy game I have ever played. If it did not come up, I save my game, open the file in notepad and change:
init +1:

Stupid me my wuestion has been answered on page 2. Should of looked for changes before i posted

mirenzo

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
HI, may i ask you if is possible to see the variable in alfabetical order? When we have many is a pain find the one you need. Tks

mirenzo

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
HI, may i ask you if is possible to see the variable in alfabetical order? When we have many is a pain find the one you need. Tks
I have seen games like "Corrupting The Intern" where variables are show in alfabetical order, what's that new version of Renpy?