Jan 1, 2018
Feels like it, At least for the way it ended. One moment your making a decision the next it turns into a slide show, showing you what happens and then bam it ends. Feels like it was rushed. I did however enjoy the game regardless.
I don't envy game developers, and this is a good example of one reason why.

It takes a LOT of hours to make a graphical game, so unless you have a whole team (and sometimes even if you do), it often takes years to finish. While you're working on it, the march of technological innovation just keeps right on going, and things evolve a LOT in two or three years' time. So there you are, diligently working on a great story, with great art and great game balance, etc., etc., etc... But by the time you're finished, it's just blatantly outclassed by the shiny new scenes from the game that's just starting development by some other developers (even if yours has a better story and gameplay)!

Now, at any stage in the development of your game, you can decided to switch platforms, to start using the shiny new tools that have just been developed, but then you have to go back and redo a bunch of the content you've already got, just extending the time when your game will finally be released. Also, let's face it, even with a story you love, after two or three years, you've also got some great NEW ideas that you'd love to try out, and you're just feeling a bit bored with the project. (Writing a doctoral dissertation is exactly like this, by the way.)

So what do you do? You can push yourself to keep going and hope that the strength of your story and gameplay is enough, or you can give up and abandon your game, or you can rush to get the game out. Like most developers, this one had already started the next project, so that may have contributed to his decision, but really, other than abandoning your game, I don't blame any developer for their choice when it gets to this stage. I mean, it would be great to know that your original concept was so good that it didn't need the latest and greatest game engine to be appreciated by the target audience, but let's face it, I'm pretty sure nobody in this industry is going to be remembered alongside Shakespeare in generations to come. (I could be wrong. Shakespeare was not considered "high art" in his day either.)

In this case, I'm just glad we got a great, finished game with what, to me, looks like 80-90% of the content I thought I was going to get. If you liked it, try out his new game and, hey, if you throw some money at him on Patreon, maybe he'll be able to completely finish his future projects fast enough to stay ahead of the curve.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Dana was a Year and a half of work when I first joined the team he was very passionate about Dana. He would actually get writer's block and have to think through how the story would go If we would have gotten more support on Dana we would have probably continued it a bit longer. Last 4 months of making the game Ptolemy got to the point of getting tired of writing the game and seeing no results in supporters on patreon but gaining them here. so in the end, he was tired of it and Dana. That why he got obsessed with DRM and I had to talk him down from that. He now makes games in quantity and quality but it's hard for us. we don't ask for huge amounts of money. we believe our time has value and mainly want to cover our costs at the least. It's not greed It's a fact of life can't pay power bills on people loving your work.

supermanz95

Aug 7, 2016
Dana was a Year and a half of work when I first joined the team he was very passionate about Dana. He would actually get writer's block and have to think through how the story would go If we would have gotten more support on Dana we would have probably continued it a bit longer. Last 4 months of making the game Ptolemy got to the point of getting tired of writing the game and seeing no results in supporters on patreon but gaining them here. so in the end, he was tired of it and Dana. That why he got obsessed with DRM and I had to talk him down from that. He now makes games in quantity and quality but it's hard for us. we don't ask for huge amounts of money. we believe our time has value and mainly want to cover our costs at the least. It's not greed It's a fact of life can't pay power bills on people loving your work.
Man I completely forgot about the whole DRM talk, still props to the guy and the squad for actually finishing the game, year and half in /weg/ development community is a decade and a half. Always nice to see the progression and maturing of dev to a point where he stops comparing who has more patrons and getting upset and just doing his own thing while getting support.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Sooo... Version: 0.99... Sooo... Why Title writen is Complete??? Autor Drop whis Game? Why? :(
It was still a bit buggy and we wanted at some point to add some more polish to it but got tired of it so we called the last one 0.99 as we did not feel it was complete

Reactions: Sheknowsaboutyou

Endless

To Obtain My Infinite Dream I Shall Even Sink God
Donor
May 9, 2017
I was always hoping that Dev- PTOLEMY would extend or kinda change the ending with just Dana. It seemed rushed did not seem as satisfying as it could have been.

With that being said the game is still great & i definitely recommend it to everyone.
Dev definitely knows how to properly write a story & keep audience engaged & give detailed background to his characters.

There will always be some small plots, characters etc that change or become overlooked since his patreons respond differently & some content gets controlled by votes.

Reactions: Sheknowsaboutyou

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for that, still not working. Am I missing something, or just typing it in wrong?
Are you typing it wrong? Only you can answer that.

The console might not be enabled by default. If that's the case, you'll need to enable it. I suggest you use UnRen to do that.

3.90 star(s) 64 Votes