VN Ren'Py Dr. Valarie Sex Therapist [v0.8] [Purplehat Productions]

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Yeah I wondered about those, and what difference it might possibly make for her to drink the tea later on.

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
Yeah I wondered about those, and what difference it might possibly make for her to drink the tea later on.
It's still early days. but those are planned to be branching off points for other routes later on once more of the game is established. So alt routes with Mistress Katie are still possible (as in she finds another girl to be a Hucow and has other plans for Cassandra)

Rel Teeg

Oct 25, 2022
My bias is lesbian only paths and I am not sure if the other girls in the future will be mf etc, but for now I am really liking this. I have a thing for medical/psychology/hypno(drug induced or otherwise) too and, again, this is another reason I like it. I am hoping that some of the erotic/lewd scenes linger a bit more, especially in some cases. Near the end, without spoiling it, I thought it would be nice to see more, and for longer. Just a thought. Given the art bottleneck I am sure that is a part of it. Regardless, I am looking forward to more. I think that right now it has a lot of potential. Thanks Purple Hat and I hope you get the support you need.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I am hoping that some of the erotic/lewd scenes linger a bit more, especially in some cases. Near the end, without spoiling it, I thought it would be nice to see more, and for longer. Just a thought. Given the art bottleneck I am sure that is a part of it.
I don't think the problem is the amount of artwork. I think it's getting used to developing a game using your own art, then having to switch to having a limited amount of it. With the ratio of text to artwork staying the same but with less artwork, the scenes get shorter. There needs to be more text for each frame of art to compensate for this.

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
I don't think the problem is the amount of artwork. I think it's getting used to developing a game using your own art, then having to switch to having a limited amount of it. With the ratio of text to artwork staying the same but with less artwork, the scenes get shorter. There needs to be more text for each frame of art to compensate for this.
Hnnnnn... That only goes so far.

Yes Re Education is a different animal, where I'm freer to express more with visuals instead of words, but making a VN like Dr. Valarie is not my first rodeo. I've attempted it before, only to have the character artist bail because the commitment was too much for her. So I'm well versed in "stretching" limited art assets.

I find that there's a point in visual novels where if a scene goes on for too long, you just start skimming the text and rapidly clicking. To me, the pacing and length of the Cassandra Hucow path feels right. Now I am aware this is partly because it's the only erotic path right now, and as later paths are added, I plan to go back and re evaluate this path (Like I am doing right now with Re Education). As it stands right now, it's an excellent amuse bouche.

But that's just one bite.

We still have a three course meal ahead of us.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Yes Re Education is a different animal, where I'm freer to express more with visuals instead of words, but making a VN like Dr. Valarie is not my first rodeo. I've attempted it before, only to have the character artist bail because the commitment was too much for her. So I'm well versed in "stretching" limited art assets.

I find that there's a point in visual novels where if a scene goes on for too long, you just start skimming the text and rapidly clicking. To me, the pacing and length of the Cassandra Hucow path feels right. Now I am aware this is partly because it's the only erotic path right now, and as later paths are added, I plan to go back and re evaluate this path (Like I am doing right now with Re Education). As it stands right now, it's an excellent amuse bouche.
Sure if a scene goes on too long people start skipping, but you aren't even close to that point, quite the opposite. ReEducation isn't "visuals instead of words", it has more visuals and more words. The scenes here have the bare minimum, just one or two lines per image. And no narration at all, just a scattering of dialogue. Seriously, I must have played hundreds of games and the sex scenes here are about as brief as I've ever seen. I had a crack at adding some narration to Mistress Katie's breast exam scene, and while I'm not a writer I think it's still a big improvement.

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
I had a crack at adding some narration to Mistress Katie's breast exam scene, and while I'm not a writer I think it's still a big improvement.
Alright let's see what you got here.

Ummmm? Where am I going to fit a marching band into the story?
Sea shanty music? I don't think that's going to fit either.
EGG LAYING?! You want her to lay eggs?!

Oh, wait, I'm reading the wrong script.

Okay in all seriousness, you're writing out what is literally happening on screen. Cassandra's facial expressions tell the story, and better yet, they tell it without words, which allows people to fill in the story with their own words. Your writing would make sense if this were a straight novel, but the visuals are there for a reason.

Also, your additions break the story flow by adding a narrator that was not present from the start. I read your first addition and had to stop because it was that jarring.

I'll see what I can do with the breast exam scene, just, please, leave the writing to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Mograx

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Alright let's see what you got here.

Ummmm? Where am I going to fit a marching band into the story?
Sea shanty music? I don't think that's going to fit either.
EGG LAYING?! You want her to lay eggs?!

Oh, wait, I'm reading the wrong script.

Okay in all seriousness, you're writing out what is literally happening on screen. Cassandra's facial expressions tell the story, and better yet, they tell it without words, which allows people to fill in the story with their own words. Your writing would make sense if this were a straight novel, but the visuals are there for a reason.

Also, your additions break the story flow by adding a narrator that was not present from the start. I read your first addition and had to stop because it was that jarring.

I'll see what I can do with the breast exam scene, just, please, leave the writing to me.
I don't know how to respond to that. You think that narration is only for games without visuals? Where on earth did you get that idea from?

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
I don't know how to respond to that. You think that narration is only for games without visuals? Where on earth did you get that idea from?
Not at all. That is not what I said.

I said:
your additions break the story flow by adding a narrator that was not present from the start.
The problem is not the idea of a narrator. The problem is suddenly introducing a narrator 2/3 of the way through the story. It surprises the reader, and pulls them out of the story.

But I have gotten some ideas from this. I can have Dr. Valarie make commentary and work in some of your ideas.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
You said:
That sounds a lot to me like "you don't need narration if there are pictures" which is not remotely true. That's how you get VNs that will just throw a couple of animations with no text and think that will do for a sex scene. Good VNs will absolutely have text detailing the action even if it is similar to what you see in the visuals. I can't think of a single well-regarded VN that doesn't.

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
You said:

That sounds a lot to me like "you don't need narration if there are pictures" which is not remotely true. That's how you get VNs that will just throw a couple of animations with no text and think that will do for a sex scene. Good VNs will absolutely have text detailing the action even if it is similar to what you see in the visuals. I can't think of a single well-regarded VN that doesn't.
Give me some time. Let me see what I can have ready by the end of the month.

Reactions: zzzlooo

Fapster994

May 10, 2019
The overview nor the pictures give you any idea what the game is about. Does anybody have better pictures or description?

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
The overview nor the pictures give you any idea what the game is about. Does anybody have better pictures or description?
You play as an unethical therapist who can choose to sell her clients to the highest bidder. You get to choose who wins the bid (Or you will once development reaches that point)

Fapster994

May 10, 2019
Great game. The art work is good and the dialog is short and to the point. If the dialog gets too drawn out, I start skipping. Not the case with this game. Well done.

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
Great game. The art work is good and the dialog is short and to the point. If the dialog gets too drawn out, I start skipping. Not the case with this game. Well done.
I'm glad to hear that. Especially since any money I make from this game or from my SubscribeStar members goes to paying for the artwork.

It's amazing what this purple hat can do when it has a budget.