HTML Doppelgänger [Development Thread]

Affogado

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
In my thread for Heroine Addict I mention that it's a side-project. It's text only so I work on it when I don't have access to my desktop PC with a decent gpu - weekends and some evenings. Working on two projects at once like this keeps me from burning out. So what's the main game?

banner.png

In Doppelgänger you play a shapeshifter who accidentally kills a human, leading you to step into his life to masquerade as the guy for a while. In doing so you discover the absolute mess his personal relationships are in, and can make the choice to either build a stronger family with healthy choices, or to use your natural skills and inclinations as a scavenger nipping at the shadows of humanity to manipulate a broken household to get what you want without regard for those who get hurt in the process.

The game is being developed with visuals rendered in Daz3D. Gameplay is choice-based; I'm not implementing any mini-games or sandbox elements, and the story will take place over the course of a week. It's not intended to be open-ended; the story will come to a conclusion, but I've left room for sequels or expansion if there's sufficient interest.

There's a lot of fun trouble a shapeshifter can get into, though in this initial story the focus is less on being a shapeshifter and more on being an imposter, thinking fast, trying to maintain the lie of your identity while making better (or more opportunistic) choices than the man you're replacing made.

Unlike Heroine Addict this is an original game so it'll be a commercial release supported by my Patreon (which I haven't finished setting up yet). I'm a little more regimented in the way I work at it as a result, and hope to have updates on a monthly or bi-monthly schedule.

Last edited:

Affogado

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
Screenshot.

1705249806371.png

I still need to do all the CSS and everything but that can come later. This will be the general layout, though - 16:9 image up top, choices on the bottom, *relatively* short second-person blocks of text in the middle. Not every passage will have an image, only those where it adds something to the experience.

Animations are a "probably not" thing unless I get really good at them. Bad animations are worse than no animation.

Also note that despite the Patreon link on the left, I don't have one yet. Not sure if I will. Money would be helpful and enable me to tackle larger projects like traditional VNs.

Reactions: TheExordick