Does RPGM and Ren'Py sucks?

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Both RPG MV and Ren'Py support high resolutions tho

-edit-
Although RPG MV needs a plugin for that it seems
Even with the plugin, any img that exceed 816x624 won't show up in the folder... and when you use the plugin the camera view is weird lol.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
[...] each time I work with an artist and ask him to make me something in [...] Ren'Py (800x600) he tells me that this sucks because he actually draws in high resolution (1000xetc) so...
As has already been pointed out. RenPy handles 1920x1080 straight out the box.... and will let you set custom resolutions way bigger than that.

[...] how can you make an RPG on Ren'Py?
Maybe you should clarify what you mean by RPG?
Because I've played RPG's with pen and paper before now.

For me, RPG just means stats. Strength, Charisma, Willpower, Endurance, whatever other stats matter if your little RPG world.
There's nothing to stop anyone writing an RPG in RenPy, RPGM, BASIC or Java for that matter.

Create a world. Set the rules for that world. Populate it with NPCs and create scenarios where your "hero" interacts with those NPCs in accordance with the rules of the world. Sounds like every computer and non-computer based RPG I've ever seen.

And yes, some engines will do a lot of the heavy lifting for you. Allowing you to focus on your gameplay, rather than highly technical bullshit like ambient occlusion, physics, memory management, sprite management, save games, even just putting an image on the screen.

If you said unity I could understand but Ren'Py is developed only for VNs.
Yes, some engines are better suited than others, already including a lot of the frameworks. But so far, you haven't really said WHAT you think something like Unity or RPGM could do that RenPy couldn't.

[...] but like unity, I will need to program everything from scratch, from player movement to the battle system and I won't even speak about experience courbs or the events... All the basic stuff is taken care of in RPGM for me.
Then use RPGM.
Unity is a framework of tools. Most developers won't use 90% of them. It's a Swiss army knife of gaming subroutines.
Same with RPGM. Same with RenPy. They are each less flexible than Unity, but with that comes a much easier learning curve.

Even newbie developers write entire scenarios in other languages like RenPy, just based on simple stats like "Love" and "Corruption". That qualifies as an RPG in my mind. The player is role playing. It's a game. It's using a very simplified stats system and those stats determine the consequences for the player within the game world.

Yes. You're right... there's no combat system built into RenPy. There's no pre-built on-screen combat system. The player isn't represented by an onscreen avatar sprite and that sprite doesn't run around a virtual map.

Your position seems to be that RPGMaker is better at being RPGMaker than RenPy is.
Well duh! Yes it is.

[...]I switched from unity to RPGM, because for the sake of time, if I am just doing a top-down RPG game, why waste my time constructing all the basic stuff when other can just use RPGM with no coding skills? And at the end... my game will just look like an RPGM game lol.
There you go. You seem to have your answer.
Now all you do is convince the artists you work with.