Does RPGM and Ren'Py sucks?

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Hello guys,

Maybe I am the one who is sucking a lollipop but each time I work with an artist and ask him to make me something in the size of RPGM (816 x 624 px) or Ren'Py (800x600) he tells me that this sucks because he actually draws in high resolution (1000xetc) so...

My question, can we put a picture that exceeds those dimensions into the engine without resizing it to avoid any weird looking problems?

Thanks.

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
1548576600294.png
You can HQ scale down your graphics. I do it manually and put 1280x720 files into pictures, so REN'PY does not scale anything.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Even RPGM can be full screen but you can't have a picture full screen in it unless it is 816x624

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
Even RPGM can be full screen but you can't have a picture full screen in it unless it is 816x624
Game authors did sth to have full HD.
But if you wonder what engine to use for start, use REN'PY, learn coding btw. RPGM sucks. Many developers switched from RPGM to REN'PY, no one I heard about switched from REN'PY to RPGM.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
RPGM sucks. Many developers switched from RPGM to REN'PY, no one I heard about switched from REN'PY to RPGM.
Correct me if I am wrong but how can you make an RPG on Ren'Py? If you said unity I could understand but Ren'Py is developed only for VNs.

You can do HD or even 4k in Ren'py If you do 4k you have to set a custom resolution of 3840x2160
Ok so in Ren'Py you can set the resolution but not on RPGM?

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Yep Ren'py is more robust. You can customize Ren'py to do a ton of things with Python. RPGM is showing it's age and is limited

Reactions: Spirox

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Yep Ren'py is more robust. You can customize Ren'py to do a ton of things with Python. RPGM is showing it's age and is limited
cool, but like unity, I will need to program everything from scratch, from player movement to the battle system and I won't even speak about experience courbs or the events... All the basic stuff is taken care of in RPGM for me.

Maybe I am wrong, but I switched from unity to RPGM, because for the sake of time, if I am just doing a top-down RPG game, why waste my time constructing all the basic stuff when other can just use RPGM with no coding skills? And at the end... my game will just look like an RPGM game lol.

Glad

Oct 10, 2017
And at the end... my game will just look like an RPGM game lol.
And have all of the RPGM bugs, issues and limitations. And have standard shitty "retro" RPGM UI and sounds and music even though there are tons of royalty-free ones.
Yes, it takes time in Unity to do all the basic stuff, unless you find an asset that will do a lot of stuff for you, but you learn and most of the stuff you do once and then copy. And it's easier to avoid RPGM patterns that are all over the place and make new stuff. Also, if you want pure 2D, there is Godot engine which should be easier on programming.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
The retro UI you can customize it with some Javascript... fun fact, all people who criticize RPG Maker, I am pretty sure you didn't give this engine any time or thought...

RPG Maker is a Javascript-based RPG engine, with Javascript you can almost do anything. From putting in your own animation and more. The music, the tileset, and other stuff... you just need to buy them. But as Unity, it would be the same (at least with RPGM I don't need to buy everything from scratch like even SEs)

W65

May 31, 2018
As for your original point, I think most digital artists are going to provide high-resolution assets, and you'll have to crop and/or scale them down to your "target" resolution. My very limited understanding is that you ought to have a target resolution selected before you do much development on your project, and also understand what platforms might have problems with your selected target (if you're planning on releasing on limited-resolution platforms).

I don't know the best workflow for ensuring that you don't end up with some badly laid-out containers that look awful at some other resolution than the one you're probably working in yourself. Like I said, my experience here is pretty limited.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
On RPG Maker you can set the resolution by cracking the dll but I heard Enterbrain doesn't like that.

That is what I had read back in RPG Maker XP times, funny, I thought the most recent version of RPG Maker had custom resolution :unsure:

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
On RPG Maker you can set the resolution by cracking the dll but I heard Enterbrain doesn't like that.

That is what I had read back in RPG Maker XP times, funny, I thought the most recent version of RPG Maker had custom resolution :unsure:
You can change the dimension of your screen, not the resolution, unfortunately. (for RPGM MV)

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
My only problem with RPGM is actually playing the games. I actively avoid it. I even avoid unity games to be fair though, mainly because 99 percent of the time it means the games a sandbox grind game. You can make an RPG in ren'py, but like you've mentioned it takes time to figure it all out. I hate ren'py from a making a game standpoint, because i'm a stubborn doofus who is refusing to learn anything and want the engine to be simplified like rpgm/tyrano/etc. That said though, the only games and vn's i'll check anymore are ren'py, so I'm trying to slog through learning it as I go.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
oof, that hurts my soul as my next project will be in Unity3D and it is not going to be a grind game. :cry:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
For resolution and simplicity renpy is definetely the better choice and yes, you can make rpg games with renpy because you can code your own stuff just like in rpgm. Of course it's easier with rpgm because its already implemented...
You can even do 3D stuff in both of them if you wanted to...
Anyway, as soon as you want to do custom stuff like that, you have to start coding in both "engines".

Depending of your scope it might be easier to work with unity or unreal, both have a lot of assets and you can find almost everything for free if you look at the right places.
I even have a lot of free assets from the unreal store, one of it beeing an rpg style battle and experience system, another is an equipment sytem and one inventory system and I'm sure you can find something similiar for unity too.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
You could always, get the high-resolution image, scale it down (I find that using Gimp, having no interpolation, with 1 or 3 pixel offset works really good for art that becomes like pixel art), scaling it down will save memory, and then you use the scaled down image for your game while keeping the high-quality version on your computer.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Both RPG MV and Ren'Py support high resolutions tho

-edit-
Although RPG MV needs a plugin for that it seems