Do you use your own name when naming characters?

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
I use the same name in all the games,and same last name too. first time I used my real name it creeped me out.

John356

Sep 25, 2019
I mean A lot of the popular games I have seen and played never have the mc reveal themselves and this to some people is really nice.

MoreLinks

Jul 27, 2018
Is there a way for Ren'py to warn players if they are using the same name as one of the NPCs? It can get kind of confusing when my name and one of the main NPCs names are the same :D
I think I've seen one game that did this. Don't remember which one, but I appreciated the dev for doing that.

As someone who does use his first name, there have been a few games where I've run into an NPC that also uses that name. One time I was legit confused about who a female character was talking about.

FizzyDrink

Oct 25, 2019
If I am given the option of naming the character and I like the character I am playing as, then I don't mind putting my name. Sure that character may be nothing like me, but I like to imagine things. Something like looking up to a hero and wanting to be like him or her.

Blooms.

Dec 3, 2018
Sometimes I'll use the Euro spelling of my name, usually only if I like the character. Most times I'll just search up "White guy names" on google and find something amusing there

MrLakes1579

Mar 1, 2019
I usually pick one at semi random so I can kind of sink into the character and roleplay. It's kind of fun to explore stuff that I'm not necessarily into in real life.

LoneKaiser

Dec 10, 2017
If there's a name already selected, I tend to use that.
If there's not, but there's a canon name revealed somewhere (like on a wiki), I use the canon name, assuming it's not completely dumb.
If neither of those two criteria are fulfilled, it depends on what game it is.

In H-Games, I tend to name myself random things. If I plan on being a corruptive/enslaving asshole, I just go by "Master" which... honestly amuses me more than it probably should.

In non-H games, I usually just go by "Hero" (generic, I know).

In online games, I use one of my various aliases or make up a new one specifically for that game.

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I don't really care what the character's name is but if it's a male MC I already unconsciously imagine myself as that character whether they look anything like me or not so I might as well also give him my name. For a female main character I usually call them something from my past to try to add "some" connection to the character.

Reactions: RobZombi3

_Azrael_

May 2, 2020
Sometimes i use a version of my name...roughly translated to english, but sometimes i go by Biggus Dickus because...c'mon....who the hell doesn't like Monthy Phytons?

Dars

Apr 14, 2018
Yes I do but with a nickname and who of the human beings following this change the name of the girls (if possible) and if you do so, do you have a real person in/on your mind ...just curious because I do :rolleyes: (and remember it's only a game)

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Never, the one time the default name of the MC coincided with mine gave me the heebie-jeebies

HELIO CESAR

May 30, 2018
Old as hell thread but lets go, some time ago when the game didn't have a default name i would put the protagonist's name as Demo and when available the surname was Nio, so Demo Nio, now i just use the default name or when there isn't one i try to make a name using the title syllables haha.

ZyanZedan

Jul 18, 2019
I use like a secondary Name Devil from my discord name and yeah it does break immersion using your own name but I don't like generic game names