Do you use your own name when naming characters?

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018
Personally, I never do this. I find that it actually breaks immersion when you try to self insert on a character that looks and acts nothing like you. You should take on the role of this character within the framework of the plot, instead of the character becoming some kind of projection of yourself into the game world.

There is also a slight pet peeve of mine when I enter a blank on the naming, and there is no default name for the char. Now I have to come up with a name that may or may not fit this character's personality, and it might even be a duplicate name of some NPC. I had an interesting time once when I named my char John(i think) and there was a NTR rival with the same name.

ItsEricBoi

Sep 13, 2017
Personally, I never do this. I find that it actually breaks immersion when you try to self insert on a character that looks and acts nothing like you. You should take on the role of this character within the framework of the plot, instead of the character becoming some kind of projection of yourself into the game world.

There is also a slight pet peeve of mine when I enter a blank on the naming, and there is no default name for the char. Now I have to come up with a name that may or may not fit this character's personality, and it might even be a duplicate name of some NPC. I had an interesting time once when I named my char John(i think) and there was a NTR rival with the same name.
Did John end up cucking himself?

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
Nah, it's easier to experiment with out-of-character decisions when the other NPCs don't call you by your actual name.

Reactions: wittnotyoyo

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017

I have a universal name that I use for all adult games. I don't like to use my name in fiction. The only game in general where I've been using my real name is Football Manager and that's because every other character is using his real name too.:)

If there are (enough) choices I like to assume the MC's identity and roleplay him as if I was him within the confines of his background and personality.

However, when my views collide too much with what the MC is doing, the game usually goes to the trashbin.

N1K17Y

Jun 12, 2017
yes and no. i use anglicised version of my name since my real name would sound weird compared to the rest of the characters.
and i do it since i have to name MC somehow, might aswell use mine.

ZZ23

Jan 21, 2019
No it doesn't make sense to self insert my self when I don't have absolute control. I'm also like OP i hate it when there
is no name already in place, like you can write story but somehow forgot names ???

Reactions: Rythan25

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Game Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Nope I never use my real name, I just pick a random name.

GroPin

Jun 27, 2017
I just go by default (if there is one) since I never project myself into any of the games.

Glorious Cat

Jul 25, 2017
"MC" or "MC Anon" if the game ask for lastname :sneaky:
I don't like using other name or my name in a game

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Never, I just call Qwerty to every MC, there is no way you go wrong with that, and for the girls I always use default name or there isn't a default name I just use the names of the last game a played

Reactions: OhWee