• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Do any tools exist to help counter colorblindness when creating renders?

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
G'day Folks,

I'm been toying with learning to render (and if thet goes acceptably, work on a game).

I'm colorblind -- protanomaly specifically (I don't see as much red as expected, pastel red and green can bleed into grays, green bleeds into yellow, and grey hues can be misinterpreted as reds or green depending). Not terribly, there are worse cases certainly.

Comments I've received over the years on avatars I've created in MMOs suggest colour correction would be very useful. Skin color in particular seems challenging. I am hopeful there are tools that can help prevent me from say making a render where the person has an inadvertent pink or greenish cast to their skin, for example.

I expect that would affect both the original skin and the light used on a scene.

Does anyone know of anything?

• Hey there
Reactions: Cul

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
there are 3 different types of Color Blindness

Red-green color blindness
Blue-yellow color blindness
Complete color blindness

there are no software for it cause it would be hard for it to work
I know there something for the monitors that goes over it that's all
so you will need to talk to your eye doctor to find out which type color blindness and to get the proper monitor cover
or you can ask one of your friends to help you out as well

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
there are 3 different types of Color Blindness

Red-green color blindness
Blue-yellow color blindness
Complete color blindness

there are no software for it cause it would be hard for it to work
I know there something for the monitors that goes over it that's all
so you will need to talk to your eye doctor to find out which type color blindness and to get the proper monitor cover
or you can ask one of your friends to help you out as well
As I wrote, I have protanomaly: it's one of the 3 forms of red-green colorblindness (it's a weaker version of protanopia). I know exactly what I have. Glasses and monitor covers and accessibility options in OSes don't help me create for normal vision. The accessibility option in Widows actually does the reverse: it converts the screen to show what a average colorblind person sees -- which could be useful to devs checking their UI is accessible, but doesn't help adding natural looking colour to the world.

I'm hoping to find a tool that will help review my setup BEFORE i dedicate time to each render rather than do complete renders, find a friend whose colour opinion I trust and am willing to share NSFW renders with, and then issue guesses as to corrections and repeat until that render is either better or my friend simply says it is to make the iterations stop. Hoping is the operative word here though. I don't actually expect it, I just hope for it.

icesun

Be nice! Until it's time to not be nice...
Former Staff
Nov 2, 2018

I'm not colorblind, so there's no first hand experience here, but this might be something you wanna have a look at.

Edit: just saw your "Glasses and monitor covers and accessibility options in OSes don't help me create for normal vision."
I'm sorry that this won't help then, but I'll leave this here for others who might come across this.

Reactions: sillyrobot

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
I am what they call partially colorblind, which runs in my family... I bought the curved monitors and have all the filters on. I see some problems when rendering the orange, green, and red together but not as before when using a basic monitor...

• Hey there
Reactions: Cul and sillyrobot

Cul

Feb 25, 2019
Skins would hover around a 20 b 20

( )

With a color picker like , you could hover the skin and check if it's around a 20 b 20, or what you want

If you still got a few pink or green skins, a "LUT" could be used to push them back to 20 20, so you don't render again

Cheers

Last edited: