Ren'Py Develop my game while away from home

Floorwalker

Mar 31, 2024
Is there any applications that allow me to write lines of ren'py code on my phone or on my work computer?

I am usually away from home and most of my work is stored on my PC, So I was wondering if it were possible to write lines of code on my work computer or on my phone, and then transfer it over?

Prefer something online, and not have to download anything. Many thanks!

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
You could install an application like on both computer that will let you remote control your home computer from your work computer. There are alternative options like TeamViewer or even VNC Connect.

You'd need to leave your computer at home switched on and you'd need to check your employer's IT department if there are restrictions about you to installing 3rd party programs yourself on a work computer. But it's a simple solution and means you can do everything you normally do at home, while working remotely. Because in effect, you are still working on your home computer.

Failing that, you could just install RenPy and its default text editor (currently Microsoft Studio Code) onto your work computer. Copy your game onto a memory stick or something and then to the laptop(?) and so just carry on working.
For that matter, RenPy scripts are just basic text files. You can edit them with Notepad as a bare minimum (bad idea) or again, VS Code (without RenPy installed) or Notepad++.
All this comes with a risk. It's easy for your .rpyc files to get out of step with the base game - if you maintain the game in two places. You have to be very careful to only copy the .rpy files back to your home computer and never the .rpyc files. RenPy has mitigation for this sort of problem built in these days, but it's still a risk.

Or you could use an drive/folder synchronization tool like OneDrive or Dropbox to keep a folder on your work computer synchronized with your RenPy folder on your home computer. You'd still need a text editor, but the changes would be automatically kept in line.

The other consideration is how well you'll be able to work with only the script files. The images are important and whilst RenPy will work (and therefore allow you to continue developing) without them, it is a pain.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I use a combination of the following to edit dialogue / write story notes on my phone when I have time to kill while away from home:

- syncthing (seamless, private "dropbox" style folder mirroring between your devices)
- Markor editor (android text editor, best one i've found so far)

It's not perfect and entering text on a swype keyboard is still a long way from a proper keyboard, but it does at least allow me to get some work on projects in when I am out sitting around waiting for something to finish. Using that time to be more productive than scrolling memes allows some progress. Sometimes I use voice to text (as long as there are no people nearby lol) when walking and throwing down ideas.

Thinking about getting a mini-foldable keyboard for the phone, but if i'm going that far I can just take the old microsoft surface 3 I've got with me.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Is there any applications that allow me to write lines of ren'py code on my phone or on my work computer?

Another option is to use a versioning tool, like by example.
It need that you keep a copy of the files on you phone, but you can works on it at anytime you want, then once at home you submit the files to the versioning server, and it will care of the merging for you.
Or you can use an online service like , through a private project. It would then be the equivalent of a versioning tool available online, what eliminate the security risk and don't need that you keep a copy of the file with you.

You could install an application like on both computer that will let you remote control your home computer from your work computer. There are alternative options like TeamViewer or even VNC Connect.
A note regarding this:

Be really careful when you install such software on your computer. They permit to anyone who have the right credential to take full control (modulo the configuration) of your computer. Therefore, it's really easy to mess it and have a computer opened to everyone without wanting it.

Reactions: Floorwalker

aereton

Mar 9, 2018
Version control like git would be the most obvious answer. GitHub Desktop is pretty straightforward and easy to setup for beginners. Just make sure to setup a private repository.