JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
-Purple herbs I don't think I got more than 2-3 while red and blue I had over 15 of each
I went out hunting those purple herbs after I cleared out the corrupted Marsh and Sacred Cave areas.

So across my entire game I have over 30 of the blue and red herb, but 5 total of the purple herb. Searching longer did not show me more purple herbs. The description for the purple herb says it is associated with corruption.

Meanwhile I'm searching for purple herbs after I went through the corrupted Marsh. All of the marsh liquid is purple. The purple grass growing in the purple marshland afflicts characters with corruption if they walk over it. The story for this area is about corruption.

So what color of herbs grows in the corrupted purple place?
Red herbs! No corrupted purple herbs here in the corrupted purple place, no sir you are mistaken.

Please add those purple herbs to the purple grassy place. Thanks.

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
I went out hunting those purple herbs after I cleared out the corrupted Marsh and Sacred Cave areas.

So across my entire game I have over 30 of the blue and red herb, but 5 total of the purple herb. Searching longer did not show me more purple herbs. The description for the purple herb says it is associated with corruption.

Meanwhile I'm searching for purple herbs after I went through the corrupted Marsh. All of the marsh liquid is purple. The purple grass growing in the purple marshland afflicts characters with corruption if they walk over it. The story for this area is about corruption.

Red herbs! No corrupted purple herbs here in the corrupted purple place, no sir you are mistaken.

Ok, I will check, I just finished to add another color change system, I will now check and fix the bugs.

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022

You can also find the herbs near the forest entrance north of Resta city.

Reactions: JustAl

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
You can also find the herbs near the forest entrance north of Resta city.
Oh, I was checking the whole forest itself. What I remembered from my progress is blue is near the first lake, red is in any mid-game to end-game area, and purple... I rarely found right as I first entered the forest proper, then never since. So maybe the purple herbs were not actually in the forest but just outside it. So it's as I suspected: somewhere in early progress, it's there in a tiny amount and then no more.

Most players hastily travel through the area and miss further chances to collect them. Since it's in early-game, that compounds with the fact that players don't yet know how to spend level points, spend them poorly, and don't yet know to prioritize spending those points in gathering instead of skills that could be unlocked through appropriate multi-classing by switching class on the character every so often and fighting the strongest enemies they can.

Hence why those herbs are more than 5 times as rare as the other 2: the blue ones you'll farm while searching for the RNG- shuffled bandit camp near the lake, a strategic progress roadblock that could enable players to farm longer at the start of the game. The purple ones are briefly in a small place most players run past. The red ones are all over the more difficult place where players are efficiently running and looting, and you'll farm about 30 of those even with zero points spent in gathering.

BoinBoinBoin

Jul 8, 2019
How is the gene system supposed to work? There is a big block labelled "Heritage" but all I ever get are genes in the slots for "Mother gene" and "Father gene" and nothing else. Is this a bug?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Eropixel

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
How is the gene system supposed to work? There is a big block labelled "Heritage" but all I ever get are genes in the slots for "Mother gene" and "Father gene" and nothing else. Is this a bug?
I thought about that too. It might be a display-only kind of bug. For example, in the Library it's impossible to view other books because it defaults to the Lifespan book but gives its window the Gathering title. Maybe the traits are there but not showing.

• Thinking Face

BoinBoinBoin

Jul 8, 2019
I thought about that too. It might be a display-only kind of bug. For example, in the Library it's impossible to view other books because it defaults to the Lifespan book but gives its window the Gathering title. Maybe the traits are there but not showing.
I mean, that is the central gameplay element. If it's bugged in the way you're saying that's very disappointing.

• Thinking Face

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
Oh, I just remembered this particular case happened when the initial leader of the group was abducted. I noticed the game has some special behavior around the initial leader, that they can't be left at base or dismissed. My belief on this is that the game doesn't have all the catch behavior on what to do if this character vanishes from the game. So the immortality gem in the chest at the start is a corollary of avoiding this kind of issue, correct? Is it okay to let the leader die / vanish or will bugs happen?

Additional Thoughts on the Game as it currently stands:
It is very nice due to focus on mechanics, exploration, and progression rather than the art. I can appreciate that the game has good bones to build on although various art assets are placeholders to be enhanced later.

Plenty of good custom programming went in for the unique character generation aspects, impressive considering this RPGMaker game is not using the latest RPGM engine. It looks like it's RPGM VX by the sprites used, but correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't check deeply.
1 I will make something like Player avatar system, some things will have different effects if it happens to your avatar.

2 Im using RPG Maker VX Ace

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
1 I will make something like Player avatar system, some things will have different effects if it happens to your avatar.
That's thoughtful of you. Whatever feels easiest and most compelling to your is fine. I'm used to experiences like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld where characters are lost. However loss is painful and annoying in ways that vary to your audience, and on a technical level maybe your game and RPG Maker VX might not like the protagonist ceasing to exist or such. Death and Multi-Character Management systems glitching out is a classic game issue that's not easy to deal with.

2 Im using RPG Maker VX Ace
Thank you for confirming. I hope it works out for you. I'm not sure how lively help support is for this engine version compared to the later ones. Relative to the 3D engines like Unity and Unreal, newer engine versions get more support from devs and peers, but maybe RPGM's community has some stragglers on the old tech you can talk to or read documents from.

Stuff like Karryn's Prison and other pretty stuff seem to use nw.js, which as I understand it isn't mechanically RPGM. I've seen some games upgrade from VX Ace to MV or MZ to handle issues in development. I imagine going with nw.js takes more work to understand since it's different, but the work I've seen done with it is amazing.

Now on to my recent gameplay of your game.

I got to try the Minotaur and Holstaurus transformations.
1) The Minotaur seems to work as intended. Although when I tried to recolor the fur the tail's stem did not change with the rest of the fur. I think the tail's fur tuft stayed black. If you're reworking the color system in the color channels manner (Color 1, Color 2, Color 3), consider where the channels will go per item. A lot of work but really good for the transformations and clothing.

2) The Holstaurus has Boob and Butt attacks with heart symbols in the main skills list. The idea is interesting but the execution is not there yet - the attacks missed often and never resulted in dealt damage or inflicted status. Yet the potential can be amazing. I have an idea I'll detail below.

The Holstarus Boob and Butt attacks can be sexual single-target versions of Provoke for zero or low cost. The trade and versatility is interesting because sex attacks are nice to see but bypass armor so they deal more damage, and the only mitigation for it is underwear and that currently only goes up to 10%. I like the damage risk of sex attacks, so lets play with it in this concept.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
I found a crash applying a belly tattoo to a character transformed into a Motherslime. When cycling through colors to check them out, it seemed to crash at the "grey" color. Later I tested changing hair and got a crash as well. Crashing seems to happen randomly between changing aesthetic options and rotating your character view back to front a few times in a row.

Edit 1: An interesting bug I found later is that any character given a Wereslut potion at any point is unable to have claws as a Werewolf or Weretiger though they hold their hand in the same pose. Also, moustache #1 has some stray pixels floating off to the side of its sprite.

Edit 2: I found what can be considered a more major gameplay bug. Small tunnels are supposed to be able to be traversed by dwarf race characters, who are supposedly "small" enough (short) that they fit through the tunnel and form their own split-off team on the other side. However, when dwarves are transformed into beast hybrid races the game forgets to let some beast hybrids through the tunnel, yet still remembers their short line-of-sight on the field. The result is the game is saying the character is "too big" yet is somehow still too short to see far. Normal dwarves and slime-hybried dwarves work. but varous other hybrid beast dwarves are not able to fit into the tunnels they should, and they didn't get height boost to see farther either.

Suggested fix for Edit 2: either make it so the dwarves continue to fit into the holes as expected, or explain for sensible transformations that the dwarves grew in height and thus give them more sight after transforming. I highly recommend you just fix the tunnel condition, it's easier and requires no explaining.

Addition to Edit 2: There's a tunnel in the forest that can be approached from both sides by walking around it in the maze, but interacting with the top (upper, North) entry with an inappropriately tall character gets your whole team stuck in the space in front of that opening. Check that out.
I still can't trigger the tattoo/change color crash.

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
I still can't trigger the tattoo/change color crash.
It's okay. I don't completely understand it myself. Spontaneously happens as I changed colors, hair styles, back/front facing position. Just any sprite change added to a chance of it happening. It might even be a CPU issue - I'm using a 13th gen intel I undervolted but kept at default clock speed. Maybe its clock is too fast, although only my game crashed, not my computer.

Mind that I edited my previous post a moment ago, sorry about that.

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
It's okay. I don't completely understand it myself. Spontaneously happens as I changed colors, hair styles, back/front facing position. Just any sprite change added to a chance of it happening. It might even be a CPU issue - I'm using a 13th gen intel I undervolted but kept at default clock speed. Maybe its clock is too fast, although only my game crashed, not my computer.

Mind that I edited my previous post a moment ago, sorry about that.
I think I found it thanks to a message with the same bug, it seems it was related to the equipment colors.

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
That's thoughtful of you. Whatever feels easiest and most compelling to your is fine. I'm used to experiences like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld where characters are lost. However loss is painful and annoying in ways that vary to your audience, and on a technical level maybe your game and RPG Maker VX might not like the protagonist ceasing to exist or such. Death and Multi-Character Management systems glitching out is a classic game issue that's not easy to deal with.

Thank you for confirming. I hope it works out for you. I'm not sure how lively help support is for this engine version compared to the later ones. Relative to the 3D engines like Unity and Unreal, newer engine versions get more support from devs and peers, but maybe RPGM's community has some stragglers on the old tech you can talk to or read documents from.

Stuff like Karryn's Prison and other pretty stuff seem to use nw.js, which as I understand it isn't mechanically RPGM. I've seen some games upgrade from VX Ace to MV or MZ to handle issues in development. I imagine going with nw.js takes more work to understand since it's different, but the work I've seen done with it is amazing.

Now on to my recent gameplay of your game.

I got to try the Minotaur and Holstaurus transformations.
1) The Minotaur seems to work as intended. Although when I tried to recolor the fur the tail's stem did not change with the rest of the fur. I think the tail's fur tuft stayed black. If you're reworking the color system in the color channels manner (Color 1, Color 2, Color 3), consider where the channels will go per item. A lot of work but really good for the transformations and clothing.

2) The Holstaurus has Boob and Butt attacks with heart symbols in the main skills list. The idea is interesting but the execution is not there yet - the attacks missed often and never resulting in dealt damage or inflicted status. Yet the potential can be amazing. I have an idea I'll detail below.

The Holstarus Boob and Butt attacks can be sexual single-target versions of Provoke for zero or low cost. The trade and versatility is interesting because sex attacks are nice to see but bypass armor so they deal more damage, and the only mitigation for it is underwear and that currently only goes up to 10%. I like the damage risk of sex attacks, so lets play with it in this concept.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'm using the RMVXAce mostly due to my current PC, later, maybe (or not) I will change to another game engine.

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
The only thing missing is to correct the texts from the library and I will update the patch, but it will be tomorrow.

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
Addition to Edit 2: There's a tunnel in the forest that can be approached from both sides by walking around it in the maze, but interacting with the top (upper, North) entry with an inappropriately tall character gets your whole team stuck in the space in front of that opening. Check that out.
In wich map?

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
v0.5.14
-Enabled actor change in sites (currently only for Workshop/Tailoring/ETC.)
-Changed wrong herb found in the Slimy Marsh, Red Herb to Purple Herb.
-Added Parent's M and F genes inheritance codes that were removed by accident.
-Added size check to use the dwarf's map ability.
-Fixed a wrong check in the Forest Entrance north from Resta City.
-Fixed some transformations tail colors.
.Fixed crash related to equipment colors.

For Ex version
-Added equipment color change system in the Tailoring.

BabyDragonV2

Jul 10, 2021
for those wondering where to find certain herbs i made a post on where to find them once i find the page ill update this post
edit its page 33

4.10 star(s) 8 Votes