Tool Denoiser DAZ 4.11 vs Nvidia vs INTEL

popsexstudio

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2019
Hello,

I have been doing some testing on denoiser tools, to see the best one to balance quality vs productivity gain, and I like to share the results with you.
My test setup:
I use one of my characters portraits (3 spotlight lights sources, no sun light or HDR) in 4k as source.
The original DAZ render take ~10 minutes to render, the DAZ denoiser render a let it run for the same time, Intel (8 seconds) and Nvidia (2 seconds) denoiser executed on original DAZ render.
Full renders:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
For a downsample 4k image all of then looks the same and pretty good, but when we look very close is when the differences appears.

First thing to notice that all 3 denoiser tools makes the same loss of detail on the hair:

However, the real difference appears on soft shadows near the mouth and the below the eyes, where Daz denoiser preserve some of the skin detail, NVIDIA and INTEL denoiser make some areas just a blur mess:

After this I only use DAZ denoiser on 5 min renders, and so far, for renpy games I am very happy with the results and quality. Bellow two 4k renders that took 5 min to render with DAZ Denoiser.

Hope this help someone with doubts about which denoise tool to use.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
That's pretty much my experience. But I don't even use Daz Denoiser since you can't predict how much iterations a scene will need before convergence. It could be useful if you could start it like "Start denoise at X iterations before convergence". That said it could be very helpful for animator, where quality drop is not that important.

Reactions: popsexstudio

popsexstudio

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2019
That's pretty much my experience. But I don't even use Daz Denoiser since you can't predict how much iterations a scene will need before convergence. It could be useful if you could start it like "Start denoise at X iterations before convergence". That said it could be very helpful for animator, where quality drop is not that important.
I made some tests with DAZ Denoise and it seems that the Denoiser trigger on all iteration or at every image update.

For a 4k portrait render (3 lights, minimum reflective/emissive surfaces, no sun/dome light) I set the DAZ denoiser to kick at iteration 30 and let the render go and got samples at 200, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 iteration and loss of detail decrease with more iterations (obviously), but gets harder to see the difference after 200 iteration, because of the denoiser "predictive" effect. At my hardware that is a 2 minutes render vs 1 hour render, a major productivity boost for a render that will be used on Renpy on HD resolutions.

Combining less iteration this with Daz Denoise and render quality setting, can save a lot of render time (again this depends on your hardware power) without too much loss off detail. This is a very good approach to 4k renders that will be downsampled, but if your goal is 8k, 16k or bigger renders the loss of quality maybe to much.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Id suggest youre using denoisers the wrong way on the wrong images. Your base image didnt need denoising at all. That's not an ultra quality render.. but it's a good quality render. The pixelation is already gone. The point of using denoiser imho are two. 1: To save time by denoising and removing pixelation earlier thus saving time. 2: On renders that are extremely hard to depixelate.. some renders can go for hours and still not make it. This again saves time as your choice is to continue rendering this single image for hours more or rebuild the lighting and scene and try again

Reactions: astralmess

SeaRose

Nov 27, 2019
DAZ denoiser makes it for me.

Many models don't have a perfect hair. Those details are important but I don't think it's a priority. In fact, I think as a developer that time is the real priority, and to have a tool like denoiser is best that ever happened to me.

So, judging your images, you have to see close to notice it (to the inexperienced to eye, after many renders I already knew where the blur was going to pop up in your pics). I don't mind a hair with some blur. I don't mind some skin blurred. But if it's a close shot, then I would just use the more defined way of render it.

I'm more worried about the lights and the shadows than those details, but maybe it's me.

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
If someone does not like command prompts like i do - although i've grown up with MS-DOS 3.1 and all successors - i build a small GUI for the NVidia-Denoiser, which you can find here.
Nothing fancy, just plain forward, no installation, no registry changes....
I've tested it several times but i do not give any guaranty that it is 100% bug-free.
Yes, i know that there is a similar small tool with drag and drop, but as i found it, mine was already finished.:cool: