• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool DeepL will let Machine Translation evolve greatly.

supercow297

May 21, 2019
I'm not sure how machine translation is done currently but as we know it is quite cancerous. However, recently I learned of DeepL. As you can see below the translation results are much better than typical machine translation (and I have tested this with some colloquial rambling sentences of my own construction as well). However, in order to translate something of a VN's length or even an RPGM's length, you'd need to pay for an account/API I believe ( ).

With that in mind, I am wondering if there is any potential to machine translate Japanese games with DeepL instead of whatever the current process is rn? That could make a lot of games much, much more playable and might even replace the need for human translators in the case of many games where the translation demand (or supply) is not enough.

New to posting still so please let me know if this is in the wrong forum or something.

Reactions: sevlina1999

Lavoisier

May 14, 2018
Hi, I used google translate for several renpy VN from english to italian, i did't feel bad with it (but no japanese games yet).
Currently i'm trying deepl through the free trial month: I see more accuracy and more "reasoned" translations.
It seems understandig better the meaning of sentences so it requires less manual actions.
However some times I found a issue about renpy variables (words between square brackets): if deepl find a beliavable meaning then it DELETES them, for example:

My [sister] is here > Mia sorella è qui

Now, if you try it, you won't get it, because it rarely and randomly happens processing long texts.
Moreover, it often happens that it deletes quotes at the end.
I hope i was helpful

Reactions: sevlina1999

supercow297

May 21, 2019
Hi, I used google translate for several renpy VN from english to italian, i did't feel bad with it (but no japanese games yet).
Currently i'm trying deepl through the free trial month: I see more accuracy and more "reasoned" translations.
It seems understandig better the meaning of sentences so it requires less manual actions.
However some times I found a issue about renpy variables (words between square brackets): if deepl find a beliavable meaning then it DELETES them, for example:

My [sister] is here > Mia sorella è qui

Now, if you try it, you won't get it, because it rarely and randomly happens processing long texts.
Moreover, it often happens that it deletes quotes at the end.
I hope i was helpful
Interesting find about the square brackets, maybe you could shoot the devs some feedback on their site?
Please share how you feel about DeepL! I'm looking for ways to connect it to Textractor or some other text hooker but the dev of Textractor might find a way himself soon enough.
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

Waaifu

Furry Gamer
Uploader
Donor
Aug 6, 2016
Please share how you feel about DeepL! I'm looking for ways to connect it to Textractor or some other text hooker but the dev of Textractor might find a way himself soon enough.
As of April 2020 I've pretty much gotten tired of working on Textractor, and don't want or plan to do new development beyond minor bug fixes. If your issue can be resolved simply using the existing features of Textractor, I'll tell you how to do so, but if it would require me to develop Textractor significantly or in another way require significant effort from me to troubleshoot, I probably just won't reply: you're on your own. Sorry.

Source:
The dev is only planning to update it with minor bug fixes, so the DeepL extension with v4.12 is going to be the only option for it though they are strict with the one hour IP ban as it can happen with just a few sentences. For the API, it requires paying with an European credit card and it's about six dollars for it a month with an usage fee of one cent per 500 characters.

Esp007

Feb 17, 2020
I just read this post a few moments ago so I decided to check it with some text on the dlsite.

Extracted from:

Original text:
自分を辱めてくれる人がおらず熟れた身体を日々持て余すダクネス。乏しい知識で夜な夜な自らを慰めるが、それをうっかりカズマに目撃されてしまい…?

Google translator:
There is no one who humiliates himself, and duckness that leaves a ripe body every day. I am comforting myself at night with my poor knowledge, but I was inadvertently witnessed by Kazuma ...?

DeepL:
With no one to humiliate her, Dacnes' ripe body is overwhelmed every day. He comforts himself night after night with his lack of knowledge, but he is inadvertently witnessed by Kazuma...?

You are right, the improvement is very big.

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
I started using DeepL as a reference in when I do my translation projects and the difference between it and other sites are night and day.

Through testing on my own though (and this could be considered good or bad depending on how you look at it), but DeepL as it currently is doesn't do a good job with dealing with scripting tags and code. so it would not be a good tool for straight up machine translation (like google does with the Google translate API). I think of this as a good thing as it requires users to actually look at the translation and take more care encouraging would be Machine translators to actually read and edit their work instead of pushing a button in google and calling it a day.

Overall I like what I am seeing from DeepL.

Reactions: supercow297

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
Moved to its own thread.

So, I've written a -like application in Java that can be used to hook clipboard text
to the DeepL translator website even without an API key by automating a browser through .
There's also a pre and post translation text substitution feature to help handle dialogue tags and codes to an extent.

Requirements:
  • Java 8 - Download from , or if you prefer .
  • An installed and supported web browser like Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Chrome or Opera (Tested with Firefox 80.0.1, Chrome 85.0.4183.87 and Edge 85.0.564.51).
    - Edit the config.toml file to configure which browser you have installed, set "webDriver" to either: "firefox", "chrome", "edge", "opera" or "ie" (I haven't tested opera, and ie seems to be having problems with its driver).

Original post with screenshots here.

Download:
See thread.

Last edited:

-FibaG-

Nov 9, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thank you brother you life saver, now maybe you wonder why?
Well textractor with deepL not work for me it give me some strange error "Error while translating (code=12175)" but on you program work fine.
I would ask if you can put costumize the window translate to be transparent maybe change color to??

Last edited:
Reactions: asdasfa9

-FibaG-

Nov 9, 2018
You already can.
Edit config.toml:
windowDecorated = true
windowOpacity = 0.7

See the readme.txt for more information.
Now i see, but still how to get rid of margins?
Untitled.png

Possible to change in vertical that 2 text boxe??? Like VNR box translation when you play games in full size.

Last edited:

Naru100

Jun 13, 2017
So, I've written a -like application in Java that can be used to hook clipboard text
to the DeepL translator website even without an API key by automating a browser through .
There's also a pre and post translation text substitution feature to help handle dialogue tags and codes to an extent.

Requirements:
  • Java 8 - Download from , or if you prefer .
  • An installed and supported web browser like Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Chrome or Opera (Tested with Firefox 80.0, Chrome 85.0.4183.83 and Edge 85.0.564.44).
    - Edit the config.toml file to configure which browser you have installed, set "webDriver" to either: "firefox", "chrome", "edge", "opera" or "ie" (I haven't tested opera, and ie seems to be having problems with its driver).

Original post with screenshots here.

Download:
v1.1.0: ,
How do I get this to work with text extractor? Do I need to add something to the extensions menu?

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
Possible to change in vertical that 2 text boxe??? Like VNR box translation when you play games in full size.
Sorry, but I'm afraid not. The bottom, you can remove by View -> Show Input Length.
But for the title bar, Java's swing GUI is quite limited (or at least my knowledge of it) that I can't make it borderless without breaking transparency.

How do I get this to work with text extractor? Do I need to add something to the extensions menu?
No, you don't need any extension. Textractor will automatically copy text into your clipboard, and this program will be reading that text and output its translation.

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
And... updated.
Set the following inside the config.toml file:
lookAndFeel = "Nimbus"
hideFrame = true
hideMenu = true
showInputLength = false
windowOpacity = 0.7

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: -FibaG-

cleanfeel

Jun 16, 2017
And... updated.
lookAndFeel = "Nimbus"
hideFrame = true
hideMenu = true
showInputLength = false
windowOpacity = 0.7
Can you make your own thread with this tool? It's game changer.

DeepL is clearly superior to Google Translate or Bing Translate. It's almost perfect.

jowishg

Yare yare dawa (ง •̀_•́)ง
Donor
May 6, 2018
Can you make your own thread with this tool? It's game changer.

DeepL is clearly superior to Google Translate or Bing Translate. It's almost perfect.
Second that, your tweak truly deserves its own thread

-FibaG-

Nov 9, 2018
And... updated.
lookAndFeel = "Nimbus"
hideFrame = true
hideMenu = true
showInputLength = false
windowOpacity = 0.7
Perfect it work like a charm, i still wish to be like vnr box but I think that's one is impossible to make
vnr_04.jpg

How actually look like now is Untitled.jpg

decent i would say but not all game it work on full size so I need to play in window size welp I not complain still is something than nothing right? xD

Last edited:

mspykez

Dec 11, 2019
DeepL was a breath of fresh air for the Machine Translation scene but like the OP said if you abuse their service they will block you and force you to pay a subscription.

There is a free alternative that looks promising as you can see here

Improving by the day and already giving better results than google, they have a discord too for anyone interested in the project

Reactions: CapsUnlocker