Daz3D GPU issue

Oppai Auteur

Developer of Old Friends and Public Transport
Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
I posted this question in my own game's thread but haven't had any luck so far, so I hope someone here has an answer

Advanced warning, total noob at this stuff

I recently got a new custom built pc with a GeForce GTX 1050ti. I got this because it was advised if you want to do iray renders to have a nvidia card(my old machine had a dated AMD card) and the 1050ti was the most I could afford at the time.

The problem I'm having is that Daz3D always goes back to using just the CPU to render, no matter what I try the GPU shows no usage at all

When rendering with just the CPU I'm getting about 3+ hours render times, but from what I here GPU render times can be much shorter

Here is an example of the kind of render I'm working on. I dont know if how complex the image is can be a factor in this

MSJhome A3.jpg

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Hi

First off go to your render settings and hit the "advanced" tab. There you make sure, that your GPU is ticked off and that your CPU is not.
After this, you need to realize something about Iray. If you want ton make use of you GPU, then you need to pay attention to the size of the scene. If the scene can't fit into the Vram on your GPU, then Iray will revert to CPU rendering - no matter what you have ticked off in the "advanced" tab.

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Cheers - Kaffekop

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Hi

First off go to your render settings and hit the "advanced" tab. There you make sure, that your GPU is ticked off and that your CPU is not.
After this, you need to realize something about Iray. If you want ton make use of you GPU, then you need to pay attention to the size of the scene. If the scene can't fit into the Vram on your GPU, then Iray will revert to CPU rendering - no matter what you have ticked off in the "advanced" tab.

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Cheers - Kaffekop
Thanks for the info

I already went to the advanced tab and ticked off the CPU and ticked the GPU, so it seems like it would be the Vram issue

Dont suppose you know anyway of seeing the amount of Vram a scene would take and the amount the card has?

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Thanks for the info

I already went to the advanced tab and ticked off the CPU and ticked the GPU, so it seems like it would be the Vram issue

Dont suppose you know anyway of seeing the amount of Vram a scene would take and the amount the card has?
Sounds like a reasonable assumption. Daz store has a Scene optimizer, that can help you reduce the overall size of any scene, but it's a bit technical (I gave up and got me a bigger card), but you might find it useful:
It may even be lying around here in the asset for Daz area. if you're lucky.

Oh, and just to nib it in the butt right off the bat, buying a second card with the same amount of Vram, wont do you any good. Iray doesn't split the scene across several cards ... saddly.

Cheers - Kaffekop

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Sounds like a reasonable assumption. Daz store has a Scene optimizer, that can help you reduce the overall size of any scene, but it's a bit technical (I gave up and got me a bigger card), but you might find it useful:
It may even be lying around here in the asset for Daz area. if you're lucky.

Oh, and just to nib it in the butt right off the bat, buying a second card with the same amount of Vram, wont do you any good. Iray doesn't split the scene across several cards ... saddly.

Cheers - Kaffekop
Thanks alot for the help man!

I'll be sure to grab this as soon as, I prefer to buy my Daz3D assests even though this is a pirate site lol

Buying a second card wasn't in my budget anyway, but the fact iray doesn't split it between cards is a bitch. I need to remember that if I end up upgrading again

Thanks again

Kaffekop

Game Developer
Jul 23, 2017
Thanks alot for the help man!

I'll be sure to grab this as soon as, I prefer to buy my Daz3D assests even though this is a pirate site lol

Buying a second card wasn't in my budget anyway, but the fact iray doesn't split it between cards is a bitch. I need to remember that if I end up upgrading again

Thanks again
Happy to help, and yeah ... I buy my assets as well.
Those artists need to eat too ;)

Reactions: Oppai Auteur
D

Dr PinkCake

Don't trust the task manager for your GPU usage, it sucks.
Download GPU-Z to see that your GPU indeed is working. I have a 1080 Ti and some renders take between 1-3 hours to complete, especially with a lot of models in them and poor lighting.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I have an old AMD 8core CPU and GTX1060 6mb card... so no great shakes. I do however get fairly good looking renders.
Your Render settings is very important and i have noticed if you use props like a room or business area depending on who made up that scene this will also speed up or slow down render times. I think it's the way these scenes are made and what resources they will use.
Lighting is the most important for good looking renders and even speed.

Below scene was still done on my GTX1060 3GB card and took around 1h45m. With my new 1060 card it's around 55min and i can even up the resolution if need be.

D

Dr PinkCake

I have an old AMD 8core CPU and GTX1060 6mb card... so no great shakes. I do however get fairly good looking renders.
Your Render settings is very important and i have noticed if you use props like a room or business area depending on who made up that scene this will also speed up or slow down render times. I think it's the way these scenes are made and what resources they will use.
Lighting is the most important for good looking renders and even speed.

Below scene was still done on my GTX1060 3GB card and took around 1h45m. With my new 1060 card it's around 55min and i can even up the resolution if need be.

That's an awesome render! Looking forward to your game!

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Can i move this to solved?